Heirloom Tomato Beet Salad

Heirloom Tomato Beet Salad on www.veryculinary.com

by Amy Flanigan on September 18, 2012 · 7 comments

As much as I’ve urged Fall to get here, it remains so stinkin’ hot where I am. So I am still eating things that require little use of my oven. And this simple number has been my lunch every single day for the past week. I am in love!

My market has a bounty of Heirloom tomatoes right now, so I’m all over that. Before I blink, they’ll be gone. If you’ve never tried an Heirloom, you must – regular tomatoes don’t compare. Seriously. And they’re perfect paired with tangy marinated beets and salty feta.

I fear this might get lost in the abyss of pumpkin muffin, hearty soup, and sausage casserole recipes. But I couldn’t wait until next summer to share it with you all – it’s too delicious! And besides, surely I cannot be the only one who eats salads in September, regardless of the temperature.

Heirloom Tomato Beet Salad

• 2 medium Heirloom tomatoes, sliced
• Sliced pickled/marinated beets
• 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
• chopped fresh parsley
• black pepper
• extra virgin olive oil

On individual plates, arrange tomatoes and beets in an overlapping pattern. Drizzle a little olive oil over the top, then sprinkle with black pepper, parsley, and feta.

(adapted slightly from Martha Stewart)

Stephanie September 28, 2012 at 6:31 am

Our stores have tons of heirlooms lately too…we’ve been taking advantage as often as we can since I’m sure they’ll be gone soon! I SO wish Billy liked beets. They’re pretty much banned in our house. :( I can see what you love so much about this salad though!

Mom September 24, 2012 at 7:44 am

I’ll eat salad any time and love tomatoes. Haven’t thought of something this simple and tasty. I see more feta in our future.

Amy @ Elephant Eats September 19, 2012 at 8:44 am

Hi Amy, I’m Amy! I just found your blog and I love it. I read your “Who is Amy” and I also had a dog named Ginger (growing up). Our we leading parallel lives?! haha. Anyway this salad sounds sooo good and the tomatoes + beets are a perfect mix to take us from summer to fall :)

Amy September 19, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Greetings Amy, nice to have caught you in my little web! I like the way you think – see, the salad isn’t bad timing. It’s perfect timing!

Veronica September 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Wow, simply delish! Love recipes like this. It’s hot and cold where I am–KS can’t make up its mind as usual. But this looks perfect no matter the time of year, tho I wouldn’t want to use winter tomatoes. Blarf!

the wicked noodle September 18, 2012 at 7:35 am

There is ALWAYS room for another tomato salad post! Especially when it combines beets and feta for an easy, healthy lunch. Gorgeous photo!!

Sandi Benoit September 18, 2012 at 5:26 am

What’s so amazing is, I like everything in this recipe!!! No tweaking!!!!