Make-Ahead Pumpkin French Toast Casserole

Make-Ahead Pumpkin French Toast Casserole | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on October 22, 2012 · 21 comments

I had a couple of my girlfriends over for breakfast last week while our kids played. They were my guinea pigs for this french toast casserole – it’s a wonderful fall dish, with that great pumpkin and cinnamon flavor. We made yummy noises, talked, laughed, relished in the peace of our boys playing nicely together.

Until they weren’t.

Trevor and one of his friends decided to barricade the bedroom door with toys, preventing their other friend from getting in and telling him he should go home. Complete boogers.

I have good kids. I really do. Kind, thoughtful, perfectly willing to share. And then there are those moments hours I’m like “where did the sweetness go?”

Trevor’s my sensitive kid. My compliant kid. So, did he not get enough sleep? Maybe he’s getting sick? Hungry? Cold? Hot? Pissed that I put him in a green shirt? And then Paul said, “No, Ame. He’s 4.”

He’s 4.

Parenting is so hard.

Thank goodness for make-ahead meals. And maple syrup.

Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
Serves 8-10

• 1 loaf French bread, cut into cubes (about 10 cups)
• 6 large eggs
• 2 cups milk (I used skim)
• 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup
• 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or almonds
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Thoroughly coat a 9×13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Evenly spread the bread cubes in the pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice until well combined. Pour over bread and push down with a spoon or your hands until it’s all soaked and mostly covered. Cover with saran wrap or lid and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, uncover the pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, nuts, and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the bread mixture and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until golden brown and no longer wet.

Serve immediately with maple syrup or honey. Store leftovers in the refrigerator covered for up to 2 days.

(adapted from Minimalist Baker)

Sandy September 13, 2014 at 3:27 pm

This sounds yummy!

QQA December 13, 2013 at 7:14 pm

This is a recipe….that was with the slow cookers…..but no instruction on how to do it in the slow cooker….have you tried it in a slow cooker?
Can you provide me with the way you did it…?
I would really like to try it……thanks for sharing the recipe…..

QQA
queenqa@gmail.com

Amy @Very Culinary December 13, 2013 at 8:02 pm

This is my recipe that Ziplist shared. They categorized it as a slow cooker recipe on accident – this is not meant for the crock pot. Sorry for the confusion.

But it’s delicious prepared the way I instructed if you’d like to try it that way.

Thanks!

amos December 10, 2013 at 10:15 am

how do you make pumpkin puree? with raw or cooked (baked/boiled) pumpkin?

Amy @Very Culinary December 10, 2013 at 10:20 am

Hi Amos – I buy it. It comes in a 15 ounce can, found in most grocery stores where the other canned fruit/vegetables are.

catsmom December 8, 2013 at 9:14 pm

the ziplist site said this was a crock pot recipe

Amy @Very Culinary December 8, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Yes, well…they’re wrong :/

Diane December 8, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Yum

Stephanie November 15, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Awww, I could eat that little 4 year old up! He’s so sweet, it doesn’t even matter if he’s a kid-jerk once in a while. :)
On another note, it’s recipes like this that make me despise Billy for not liking pumpkin. What did his parents do to him?!

Amy November 16, 2012 at 6:44 am

Serrriously! Paul and his family don’t think it either. It’s tragic.

the wicked noodle October 23, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Oh, I just want to SQUEEZE your cuteness out of you and borrow it for awhile!! You’re such a good writer and your stories always make me laugh (mostly because I can completely relate)!
Also, I’m making this for my parents this weekend. They arrive on Saturday, so Sunday morning when they wake up they’re going to find this little bit of yumminess waiting for them!

Amy October 23, 2012 at 3:21 pm

HEE. Thanks, Kristy! And I know…I nod all the way through your posts. The good, the bad, and the ugly! And YAY for making the recipe. You’re parents are in for a treat :D

Joanne October 22, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I’m convinced that at any age, you can blame your child’s behavior on their youth. I still shrug when my sister does things and say, “she’s 16″. As long as she’s not getting pregnant, it’s a win. :P

Amy October 23, 2012 at 3:23 pm

So true. It’ll be funny (or not) to see the progression of complaints as my kids grow older. And um, amen to the not getting pregnant part.

Angela October 22, 2012 at 7:21 am

I love your blog! You should post some of your stuff on FlauntMyFood.com

A friend told me about it and that’s where I go to check out cool foods. I guess food bloggers post there, its pretty sweet. Anywho, love your site!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary October 22, 2012 at 6:28 am

Sounds delicious. I love all things pumpkin!
Trevor sounds like my #4 Evan. Just wait till the teenage years my friend, just wait!!! *evil laugh*

Amy October 23, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I’m dreading puberty!

Cher October 22, 2012 at 5:43 am

Ahh 4. At least we ate before it happened!

Amy October 22, 2012 at 6:02 am

RIGHT?! Lucky for them, we were full. And caffeinated.

Sandi Benoit October 22, 2012 at 5:31 am

Oh Amy!! Not only have I been through this with my own kids….I got bonus tries with the grandkids…sigh….I did print this recipe out, my pumpkin freak of a daughter will love this. Who know, maybe her mom will make it for her. OR, perhaps, I just barricade myself in the bedroom!!

Amy October 22, 2012 at 5:58 am

And I thought grandparenting was supposed to be the easy part! Although, I know you do way more than just the occasional weekend visit. You deserve a whole bottle of maple syrup.