Classic Popovers

Classic Popovers | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on November 8, 2012 · 18 comments

My whole life I thought Popovers were a Jewish thing – none of my friends’ parents ever made them, and they always seemed to be synonymous with New York city Jewish restaurants and neighborhoods.

They also appeared to be so fancy and complicated to make since my Mom, like so many of her other family-favorite dishes, only served them at special holidays.

A few years ago, at the ripe ol’ age of 41, I discovered neither of those things were true!

I decided to buy one of those special Popover pans and give it a shot. I mean, it’s not like baking bread where there’s yeast involved…how hard could they be? Not hard at all! So dang easy, I was like “What? Huh? That’s it?!”

Then I went on Wikipedia, curious to know how the Popover got it’s name, and discovered their origin is English-inspired. Settlers from Maine who founded Portland (Oregon!!), Americanized the pudding from Yorkshire. Craziness!! Lol.

So, I now know more about Popovers than I ever thought I would (or wanted to), and they are no longer reserved for only twice a year, although great for Thanksgiving.

With a crispy exterior, hollow interior, and light, buttery taste, they are my absolute favorite roll. As Trevor would say, “they are 89,000 good.”

Classic Popovers
Makes 12
Batter resting time: 1 hour

• 4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 3 1/2 cups whole milk
• 6 large eggs, at room temperature

In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, salt, and baking powder together. Place the milk in another bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes, or until warm (not hot) to the touch.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until foamy and pale in color. Turn down the mixer to low and add the warm milk. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Turn the mixer off and let the batter rest for 1 hour at room temperature.

Pre-heat the oven to 450°F

Spray a popover tin generously with nonstick spray and place on a cookie sheet. Fill the popover cups almost to the top with the batter. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn down the oven temperature to 375°F and bake for 30 to 35 minutes longer, until the popovers are a deep golden brown on the outside and airy on the inside.

Serve hot with butter or jam.

NOTE: The key to making great popovers is having both the eggs and milk warm before mixing and allowing the batter to sit at room temperature for 1 hour before baking. Pre-made batter tends not to work very well.

Also, for best results you’ll need a Teflon-lined popover pan with a 12-cup capacity (or 2 pans with 6 cups, obviously), although rumor has it that regular muffin pans will work ok.

(originally from Neiman Marcus)

Print this recipe

Marlisa November 17, 2012 at 8:17 am

Can you make these ahead of time and reheat? I would like to take them to a Thanksgiving dinner I’m invited to but don’t want to tie up their oven. Thanks!

Amy November 17, 2012 at 9:15 am

Hi Marlisa – they are just ok reheated…not as flakey and tend to get slightly rubbery. Just like most rolls, in my opinion, they are the absolute best straight from the oven. Also, pre-made batter doesn’t work well, as it should always be room temperature (and not refrigerated.) But there’s no harm in trying!

Stephanie November 15, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I don’t know a damn thing about popovers…I’m actually not even sure if I’ve eaten one. However, they look awesome! What’s your favorite way to eat them?

Amy November 16, 2012 at 6:45 am

Straight out of the oven with butter. To die!

jeri November 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I’ve been making popovers for years, and they come out equally well with non or low fat milk. Muffin tins work just fine too; you can even make them in ramekins or glass pudding bowls. And you don’t even need to break out the mixer. A whisk or spoon are sufficient. They really are that easy and adaptable. The only rule I haven’t challenged is to never open the oven door. But, who knows, that could be an old wive’s tale too.

Sara November 13, 2012 at 8:38 am

Hi – Thanks for recommending a pan with Teflon® nonstick coating for use in your Popover recipe. I represent DuPont and it’s always a pleasure to see people recommending our products.

If you are interested in some recipes to look at for your cookware with Teflon® nonstick coatings, visit http://www.scribd.com/TeflonBrand! Thanks. Cheers, Sara

Mom November 9, 2012 at 7:29 am

Yes, we love popovers. They are so easy, I don’t know why I make them so infrequently. They are especially good with a light dinner of soup and salad.

Joanne November 8, 2012 at 6:17 pm

The only time I’ve ever had popovers is at a restaurant in Boston, actually…so I guess the fact that they’re English makes sense. I made some not so long ago and you’re right…SO easy and SO addictive!

Andrea November 8, 2012 at 11:51 am

I LUV popovers! They’re a nice big boat for butter and jam. So, you could probably use 1% or 2% milk. It must have something to do with the butterfat in the milk and how it interacts with the eggs; there’s still a lot of fat in 2%. One suggestion from popover lore is to put a little dab of butter in the bottom of each cup and preheat the pan in the oven before you put the batter in. You’ll never have to dig out the popovers that way. And try not to open the oven!

Amy November 8, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I just opt to liberate the pan with a ton of nonstick spray, but no doubt a dab of butter in there first would make them that much better. Butter before…butter after. Yes.

Jen November 8, 2012 at 9:35 am

Yumsers! So…um…*looks up through eyelashes*…are you going to make these for Thanksgiving dinner? If not, I will have to borrow your popover tin thingie and make them myself. :oD

Amy November 8, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I’ve decided what I want for the holidays…another oven.

the wicked noodle November 8, 2012 at 8:22 am

Are they really that easy?! I knew they were English but that’s about it. You’ve inspired me, Amy!

Amy November 8, 2012 at 8:29 am

They really are, Kristy. Pinky promise! The only thing is, I highly recommend getting one of those special popover pans. I cannot be held responsible for what happens if you use a regular muffin tin (although you’d probably make it work in all your cooking fabulousness!)

The Home Cook November 8, 2012 at 7:31 am

Oh man, I absolutely LOVE popovers. And they couldn’t be easier, which is awesome. I make them for Christmas dinner but we always call them Yorkshire Pudding.

Amy November 8, 2012 at 8:26 am

Yep, Yorkshire Pudding! That’s what Wikipedia said. I had no idea. These would be perfect for Christmas dinner also. They’d be perfect with any dinner ;-)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy November 8, 2012 at 6:37 am

Any idea if whole milk is essential or if 1% would work? I have memories of my mom making these when I was REALLY young. I still remember them so they must be good!

Amy November 8, 2012 at 7:02 am

Hi Debbi – hm. I don’t know for sure. But popovers seem to have pretty particular directions to their overall success, so I wouldn’t deviate from the whole milk. I know that makes them less healthy for you :( But they’re worth it!