Cran-Turkey Enchiladas

Cran-Turkey Enchiladas (the BEST use of leftover turkey ever! Can also use chicken) | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on November 19, 2012 · 20 comments

Forget about all those awesome kitchen items I’ve given you. Forget about every time I babysat your kids. Forget about all the times I told you you’re pretty. Forget about all the times I’ve helped you move. Forget about all those times I lent you my shoulder. Forget about all the times I treated you to breakfast. Forget about all those times I made you laugh uncontrollably.

THIS recipe is better than all of that.

I tested it out a few weeks ago…we all loved it so much, I have made it two more times (once with chicken.)

This week I am giving thanks to my family, my friends, employment, and the best use of left-over turkey. Ever.

Cran-Turkey Enchiladas (a.k.a. Turkey Cranchiladas)
Makes 12 enchiladas
Cook time: 1 hour

• nonstick cooking spray
• 2 1/2 cups shredded turkey (or chicken)
• 2 cups whole-berry cranberry sauce (or 1 16-oz can)
• 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1 1/2 cups shredded Pepperjack cheese
• 1 1/2 cups salsa
• 3-4 scallions, chopped
• 1/4 cup lightly-packed chopped cilantro (I used parsley)
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
• 12 (6-inch) flour tortillas
• a couple dahses of hot sauce (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the turkey, 1 cup of the cranberry sauce, the beans, sour cream, 3/4 cup cheese, 1/2 cup of the salsa, scallions, parsley, cumin, salt, and pepper.

Spoon about 1/3 cup filling into each tortilla, and roll tightly.  Place seam-side down in the baking dish.

In a medium bowl, combine the remaining cranberry sauce, 1 cup of salsa, and hot sauce (if using.) Stir to combine and pour over the enchiladas.  Cover the dish with foil, and bake 45 minutes.

Remove foil, and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.  Continue to bake, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.  Sprinkle with additional parsley and scallions, and serve.

(from Pink Parsley, originally from Better Homes and Gardens)

Julie February 17, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I admit I was apprehensive about this one, but you’ve yet to steer me wrong. Delicious… I loved the sweet tanginess of the cranberry sauce with the spice of the salsa. Even though I screwed the recipe up a little it still turned out great. Even my picky one liked it!! When make it again, I’ll probably use milder salsa on part. Sometimes my kids are more sensitive to spice than other times., and that way I could also give it to my littles…Thanks for another great recipe!!

Stephanie December 3, 2012 at 10:45 am

Amy, you know I love you, right? But sometimes…sometimes I hate you. This sounds MOUTHWATERING to me, but Billy? “Ew, I don’t see how those flavors go.” Won’t even TRY it! I’ll have to find someone else willing to try your deliciousness.

Amy December 6, 2012 at 8:38 am

I swear the flavors work! The cranberries lend a hint of tart and sweet, which is balanced out by the spiciness of the pepperjack and salsa. It’s awesome. He’s is truly missing out. And so are you! *sadness*

Heidi December 3, 2012 at 8:41 am

These look delicious. You have such great recipes on your blog.
Thank you for sharing.

Heidi

the wicked noodle November 24, 2012 at 5:00 am

You’ve sold me! This looks so different and unique that I have to try it asap! Except that I didn’t make a turkey this year (I know, blasphemy!) so no leftovers. I may just roast one now!!

Amy November 24, 2012 at 8:54 am

Kristy! What, no turkey! Ham? Cornish game hens? Pork loin? I’m dying to know what you made instead! No matter what it was, I have no doubt it was absolutely fabulous. I sort of like that you went non-traditional :D

Mom November 23, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I can’t wait to make these but will halve the recipe for the first time. I think Dad might even like them.

marla November 22, 2012 at 6:43 am

Love this recipe! Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

Katherine November 22, 2012 at 6:36 am

Happy Thanksgiving! Here’s the link to some raw pecan bars I made yesterday :)

mrsblocko November 20, 2012 at 10:00 am

This dish sounds weird with cranberries and salsa, but it totally works. I make it every year with turkey leftovers. Its Amazing!

Kevin @ Closet Cooking November 20, 2012 at 5:13 am

I have so been meaning to make these! They look and sound really good!

Joanne November 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I’ve heard SO many good things about this recipe! Would it be weird if I made it without the turkey and with extra cranberry sauce and brie inside? Hmm.

Dana Smith November 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Ooh, I have a similar recipe I’ve made once before, but I’m going to try this one with my leftovers later this week. One of my guests is bringing the cranberry sauce, so I guess I’ll have to either buy a can or steal a bit before they leave! :)

Dana Smith November 25, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I made these for dinner tonight and they were SO YUMMY! The cranberry sauce makes them a little high in calories, but having learned my lesson with other recipes, I chose NOT to use a low calorie tortilla. I used Newman’s Own Pineapple salsa, and the spicy sweetness of that paired perfectly with the cranberries. Definitely a winner!!

Julia November 19, 2012 at 11:19 am

Perfect after Thanksgiving recipe to use up leftovers!! Looks & sounds delicious (I am sure it smells delicious too!).

Bev @ Bev Cooks November 19, 2012 at 9:27 am

Whaaaaaat! Oh I’m completely falling apart.

Andrea November 19, 2012 at 9:16 am

Oh wow. This sounds great! Thank you.

Melissa November 19, 2012 at 7:08 am

Noted.

pam November 19, 2012 at 6:58 am

I made turkey enchiladas last year and loved them, but this recipe sounds even better!

Katherine November 19, 2012 at 6:40 am