Hanukkah Coconut Macaroons

Hanukkah Coconut Macaroons | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on December 5, 2012 · 16 comments

What do these cookies have to do with Hanukkah? Nothing, really. Change the blue sugar sprinkles to red or green and they could be Christmas Coconut Macaroons. Change the color to pink or purple and voilà!, you’ve got Easter Coconut Macaroons.

But dagnabbit gosh diddly darn it, Hanukkah gets no attention.

Who wouldn’t want to eat, drink, and be merry for 8 days? I think it’s because it doesn’t have a cute character associated with it, like Santa or Frosty. Even the Holiday Armadillo, a la Friends, didn’t catch on (omg, that was funny.) That’s why it never went commercial, you know. No cute cartoon character.

So, I think Hanukkah needs its own cookie. Here they are. And they will rock those 8 days like nobody’s business.

Hanukkah Coconut Macaroons
Makes approximately 55
Cool time: 20 minutes
Finish time: 10 minutes

• 1 pouch Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
• 1 egg
• 1 cup flaked coconut
• 1 2/3 cups white chocolate chips
• 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
• 1 teaspoon shortening
• Blue sugar sprinkles

Preheat oven to 375°F.

In large bowl, whisk together the cookie mix, butter, egg, coconut, 1 cup of the chocolate chips, and the coconut extract until a soft dough forms. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto nonstick cookie sheets.

Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown around edges. Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet; cool completely, about 20 minutes.

In small microwavable bowl, microwave remaining 2/3 cup white chocolate chips and the shortening on high 30 to 60 seconds or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Drizzle over cookies; sprinkle with blue sugars as desired. Let set and enjoy!

(slightly adapted from Betty Crocker)

Print this recipe

Jen November 27, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Made these last night and brought about 1/2 to work. They were gone in 30 minutes, and I’ve had at least 6 people come and tell me how amazing they are (and that they hate me for it). Only thing is, I couldn’t get the melted chocolate to behave like it was supposed to, so it’s frosting and not drizzle.

Amy @Very Culinary November 27, 2013 at 6:48 pm

These didn’t last long around here either. Bummer about the chocolate! But there’s nothing wrong with frosting :D

Shannon @ TheDrinkBuzz December 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I love Coconut Macaroons and your recipe looks delicious. They wont last long in my house ;)

Stephanie December 6, 2012 at 8:27 am

I don’t know a lot about Hanukkah, but when I was a kid my grandparents good friends were Jewish and always made this thing called noodle kugel that I could eat for days. Have you ever made it?

P.S. I’m not a huge coconut fan, but these look delish! :)

Amy December 6, 2012 at 8:33 am

Hi Steph! Oh yes, very familiar with Kugel. My mom makes it with cinnamon and raisins. Interestingly enough, everyone in my family loves it. Actually, everyone I’ve ever given the recipe to loves it. But me? Not so much. However, I haven’t had it in years…it’s possible I would enjoy it now that my taste buds have evolved. Although, I think it’s more of a texture thing that turns me off. Pasta as a dessert is just odd.

Mom December 5, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Even a purist like myself might try these cookies, using a packaged cake mix for the cookie dough. What is the world coming to?!!!

Amy December 5, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I know. I didn’t even know this package existed until I saw it in a Betty Crocker pamphlet. And sure enough…there it is, with all the other boxed cake mixes. Gotta say, I couldn’t tell the difference. They were so delicious!

lo December 5, 2012 at 2:36 pm

You know, I’m so grateful for Hannukah… mostly due to the availability of BLUE decorations. Not the biggest fan of the blue & the green… so blue is my color of choice. For cookies, lights, you name it.

As far as a character for Hannukah… you might be right. But, in the meantime, let’s just enjoy it. It’s the food lovers’ best kept holiday secret :)

Amy December 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm

My Paul keeps telling me to keep it on the down-low or it will become too commercial also. But all I wish for is the ability to buy menorah candles at the store, instead of having to order them from Israel!

Joanne December 5, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I am all for Hanukkah celebrations. Macaroons, latkes, jelly donuts – who WOULDN’T want to celebrate the festival of lights?!?

Jay December 5, 2012 at 9:42 am

Don’t forget Jon Lovitz as Hanukkah Harry from SNL. Classic!

Amy December 5, 2012 at 10:41 am

Oh yes. And that! Back in the day when SNL was actually funny….

Paul December 5, 2012 at 9:19 am

Thank you for killing 8 minutes out of my day to watch the Friends episode. Y’know, those cookies were not around that long. I wonder who could have eaten all of them.

Amy December 5, 2012 at 10:40 am

Doesn’t that totally remind you of our house, though?! I think the kids would be totally stoked about Hanukkah if it had a mascot.

kristy @ the wicked noodle December 5, 2012 at 7:50 am

I love these!! You’re so right about Hannukah needing a cute character. You crack me up!!

Amy December 5, 2012 at 10:41 am

Hee. I am so here for you. The next show is Friday…same time, same bat channel ;-)