Easy Tomato Soup with Acini di Pepe Pasta

A super simple and easy tomato soup loaded with tiny Acini di Pepe pasta and bold flavor!

by Amy on January 7, 2013 · 14 comments

Paul and I are both December babies. Only two days apart, actually, with my birth occurring first. So, one more year under our belts and one more year of me teasing how lucky he is to have married an older, experienced, wiser woman.

Also another year where sister Jen hosted an incredible combo birthday brunch for us.

Without fail, there is always something new that I devour and that leaves me pleading for the recipe.

THIS soup.

I fell in love immediately, and after 3 servings, I was so stuffed I barely had room for dessert. Trevor – who’s not fond of soup, remember? – even cleaned his bowl. Monumental win.

Easy Tomato Soup
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Serves: 6
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 medium sweet onions, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • Large pinch of saffron threads (optional)
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup Acini di Pepe pasta
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
Grilled Gruyere Croutons
  • 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices country white bread
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
  1. In a large pot, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
  2. Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, saffron (if using), and salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, add in the tiny pasta and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the cream, return the soup to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
  3. Turn off heat, cover the pot of soup, and let rest while you make your croutons (this will allow the pasta to plump up a bit more.)
  4. Place the four slices of bread on a cutting board and brush lightly with the butter, being sure to butter the corners. Turn the slices over and pile Gruyere on two of the slices. Place the remaining two slices of bread on top of the Gruyere, buttered sides up.
  5. Grill the sandwiches on a panini grill for about 4 minutes, until nicely browned (or in a frying pan for 2 minutes a side.) Place on a cutting board, allow to rest for 1 minute and cut into 1-inch cubes.
  6. Serve hot soup with the grilled cheese croutons scattered on top.

Dani H January 9, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Oh, my gosh! I love the idea of grilled cheese croutons!!! They could also be an option in French onion soup. I’ve never been fond of tomato soup, but I’m rethinking that with this recipe. I love fresh tomatoes and grilled tomatoes, otherwise I have to be “in the mood.” {smile}

Belated Happy Birthday!

Amy January 10, 2013 at 6:35 am

Thanks, Dani :D ((hugs))

Kim January 9, 2013 at 11:55 am

julia January 8, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Those croutons look amazing! What a fun and great idea to spice up the classic tomato soup.

Aggie January 8, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Looooove tomato soup, even more with those glorious cheesy croutons!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary January 8, 2013 at 6:31 am

I hate tomatoes, but I love ketchup.
I hate tomatoes, but I love tomato sauce.
I hate tomatoes, but I love tomato soup, especially this with Acini di Pepe in it!
I hate tomatoes, but I’m going to make this soup!

I know – I’m weird.

Amy January 8, 2013 at 3:02 pm

No kidding, Lisa!? That’s so un-Italian! Ha. I sort of get it, though. Sounds like you like the flavor of tomatoes, but not the texture…or maybe you need them mixed up with other ingredients…maybe?

Joanne January 7, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I am always always always looking for a new tomato soup recipe. Most as a vehicle for eating grilled cheese. It’s just the best.

Amy January 7, 2013 at 7:07 pm

For sure. Tomato soup and grilled cheese is like peanut butter and jelly, bread and butter, cookies and milk…

Kim January 7, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Older wives unite! I’m one, too– three months difference. And oh how I love Gruyere. I have some in the fridge right now that I am going to get out to taste and dream I am making this tonight. I’m not, though. It’s salad night here and BOY do I feel cheated now. This looks so much more comforting.

Amy January 7, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Older women unite, indeed! Who knew?? HA.

Gruyere is actually my favorite cheese…a total weakness. It’s really what drew me to this recipe, not the soup! Little did I know, I would absolutely swoon over the entire thing. Put it on your menu for next week!

Bev @ Bev Cooks January 7, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Oh my gosh I’m dying for thiiiiiiis.

kristy @ the wicked noodle January 7, 2013 at 11:04 am

Yet another thing we have in common – I’m older than Alan! By about 11 months. And I’m SO much wiser, too :) HA!

AND I love, love, love tomato soup! I can’t believe I’ve never posted my recipe for it? But I’m going to have to try yours now, too, especially since it has saffron in it – YUM! And the Gruyere croutons are perfect with it. Adding to my recipe bucket list!

Amy January 7, 2013 at 7:02 pm

How funny about you and Alan! *high five*

I know a lot of people have their own tomato soup recipe near and dear to them… for the longest time I always relied on a particular tomato bisque, made with a tiny bit of cream. But this one? I don’t know. It just might be my new favorite.