Crock Pot Apple Kielbasa Bites

Crock Pot Apple Kielbasa Bites | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on January 21, 2013 · 39 comments

We spent the day in San Francisco yesterday; took the kids to the aquarium, Pier 39, and Fisherman’s Wharf. Ate. And ate some more. And watched all the odd people.

The city was all a buzz, and at one point there was a humongous uproar nearby. I turned to Paul and said, “that must be some street performer”…not realizing they were all watching TV monitors. Also not realizing that the NFC Championship game was happening. Also not realizing that our very own 49ers were fighting for a place to go to the Super Bowl.

I could care less about football. I don’t hate it, I’m just indifferent. But knowing that the 49ers are in it…well, somehow that makes me excited. A little.

These kielbasa bites were waiting for us when we got home. House smelled great. They were so juicy and sort of melted in our mouths from cooking all day.

Crock Pot Apple Kielbasa Bites | Very Culinary

This is game day grub at its best. I suggest doubling the recipe because they’ll go fast if you have any sort of a crowd.

Crockpot Apple Kielbasa Bites
Serves 12 as an appetizer
Cook time: 6-8 hours on low

• 2 pounds fully cooked polska kielbasa sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
• 3/4 cup brown sugar
• 1 cup chunky unsweetened applesauce
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• red pepper flakes or cayenne, to taste

Combine all ingredients in a crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until thoroughly heated through and pieces are tender.

NOTE: my crock is 6 quart in size. I did stir it a few times to prevent burning, but I don’t know if that was even necessary – the apple sauce mixture provides quite a bit of liquid as it cooks.

(slightly adapted from Linda Larsen at Busy Cooks)

Print this recipe

Carolyn December 19, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Sounds like the perfect appetizer–time saver too.

Alissa November 21, 2014 at 2:25 pm

This couldn’t be easier, and turned out amazing. Thank you so much for posting! I was in a hurry so I cooked for 2 hours on high in my crockpot. I did stir now and then, to keep the sides from burning. I will make this again, for sure!

Amy @Very Culinary November 21, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it so much, Alissa! We love them, too!

Jill September 28, 2014 at 6:56 am

Thank you for the recipe. Did you mean to say “could” or couldn’t?

Amy @Very Culinary September 28, 2014 at 7:40 am

Hi Jill – I don’t know what you’re referring to. ??

Mary Ann Farmer September 19, 2014 at 1:53 am

Sounds delish! Will be making this soon!

Tonia September 13, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I have always fixed wat I called cannied Kielbaba…It’s Grape Jelly wth Cranberry Sauce…YUM YUMMMMM!!!

Marie Boatright September 13, 2014 at 6:30 am

Great for a football party !!!

Wendy Graves September 1, 2014 at 9:22 am

Yum.great recipe. Was wondering if you could cook on high for a faster cook time ?

Amy @Very Culinary September 1, 2014 at 10:31 am

Hi Wendy – I can’t see why not, considering the kielbasa is already cooked. If possible, though, I would give them a stir after 2 hours to make sure they’re not burning.

Liana August 24, 2014 at 9:20 am

If I only have a 1 quart crock pot, what reduction do I need to do to fit this in my crockpot? I feel like I could fit all this in there but I don’t know.

Amy @Very Culinary August 24, 2014 at 9:26 am

Hi Liana – 1 quart, huh? Hm. That’s really tiny. I have a 6 quart. 2 pounds of kielbasa won’t fit in yours. You could maybe halve the recipe, but even then I think they’ll be crowded…I’m concerned that there won’t be enough heat circulation in between the bites to cook them down properly. You could try it. The kielbasa I buy is pre-cooked, so even if they don’t cook down all the way, they’re not unsafe to eat. It just won’t be the same :(

Betty August 18, 2014 at 11:05 am

Does it make a difference whether coarse or fine kielbasa is used?

Amy @Very Culinary August 18, 2014 at 11:07 am

Hi Betty – not sure I understand the question. You want to use the Kielbasa that comes in a thick link/log; it’s not ground up. I usually buy Hillshire Farms brand.

Sunny January 18, 2014 at 1:57 pm

i have an allergy to apples. Could i use pear sauce in place of applesauce?

Amy @Very Culinary January 18, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I’ve never tried it with pears, but I can’t see why not! They are very similar fruits…

Rick January 18, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Could this be done whole as a meal?

Amy @Very Culinary January 18, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Sure! Serves 12 as a app, so probably 4-6 as a dinner if you serve it alongside some rice, pasta, potatoes, or green vegetable.

Bernadette December 28, 2013 at 2:11 am

Will try your version over New Years. Noticed your friend asked if it could be served with a meal. Thought I’d mention my husband’s family’s version of Kiebasa for an additional option. His mom slow cooks the kielbasa in a crock pot cut into 2-3″ chunks with a couple of cans of saurkraut and simmers for a couple of hours on low, then it can be added to a meal of mashed potatoes and veggies, or made up in hard roll sandwiches with the addition of spicy mustard and served with the football games. Since his family has both Polish and German antecedants, the beer can be any American or a good dark beer or birch beer on tap. The kielbasa and saurkraut is even better after being refrigerated overnight as the flavors concentrate.

Amy @Very Culinary December 28, 2013 at 8:31 am

That all sounds delicious, too. Pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, or rolls will always make a good addition to slow cooked pork sausage. I love the idea of placing them on tiny buns and making sliders out of them :)

Karen K December 26, 2013 at 3:30 pm

WHERE can I buy “polska kielbasa” sausage? I’ve never heard of it.
Costco?

Amy @Very Culinary December 26, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Hi Karen – it’s a really common item at most grocery stores. It’s usually located near the bacon and/or hot dogs or sausages. You’ve probably seen it a dozen times and don’t even realize it!

Karen K December 26, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Hi, if I’m going to make this for only 4-6 people, can I halve the recipe and put it into a 4-qt slow cooker? I’m not too familiar with slow cookers at all….sorry! Oh, and would the times be the same for a 4-qt? (low for 6-8 hrs?) Thank you in advance for your help!

Amy @Very Culinary December 26, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Yes, that should be fine, but I would probably only halve the amount of kielbasa, keeping the other ingredient amounts the same. You want there to be enough liquid so they don’t get charred. The time won’t change – still cook on low for 6-8 hours. Enjoy!

Desiree November 18, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Hi these were deliciousness. Would you be able to tell me what the nutritional facts on these are and serving calories? Thank You

Amy @Very Culinary November 18, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Hi Desiree – I’m sorry, I can’t. I don’t keep track of calories or nutritional information for my recipes. But I’m sure you could Google for a calorie counter online and punch in the ingredients to get an estimate. Glad you liked them!

Stephanie February 6, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. I can’t believe I’m reading this AFTER Super Bowl. I need these in my life. Right. Now. Must find a reason to make them.

pam January 22, 2013 at 11:27 am

Perfect game day food!

Lindsey January 21, 2013 at 4:27 pm

These sound yummy but I don’t eat pork or beef, have you ever tried it with chicken or turkey sausage? Do you think I would still get the same result? Thanks!

Amy January 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Hi Lindsey – I just made this for the 1st time yesterday, so no, I haven’t experimented with other varieties. Only one way to find out…try it! Let me know how it goes.

Jen January 21, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Whole Foods carries a fully coked turkey kielbasa, which is really good. That’s what I’ll be making this with. :-)

Joanne January 21, 2013 at 10:35 am

I’m majorly not watching the superbowl this year (actually going to hang out with another blogger instead!) but the.boy. is. And I’m sure he would love it if I made him a batch of these to send off with him. Along with my sweet potato sliders of course. :P

Amy January 21, 2013 at 10:39 am

Oh goodness, I’m not actually going to watch the game. Pfft. HA. I just use the day as an excuse to have all my favorite people over. And use tooth picks.

Nicole January 21, 2013 at 10:19 am

Me again!!! Your favorite friend that doesn’t cook. Luckily since I have known you since the 7th grade you have to just deal with my funny questions. These look so good and I think I can handle this!! My question is do you just make these as an appetizer or could I make it for dinner and server them over rice or something? You know how I love crock pot recipes with no other work other than throwing everything in to it! Keep them those recipes coming!

Amy January 21, 2013 at 10:36 am

HEE! I knew you’d love this! I made them as an app…testing out stuff for Super Bowl, but you could totally make them and serve over rice or potatoes for a complete meal. I actually think I might do that next time.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary January 21, 2013 at 7:01 am

I just made these yesterday for the game! I sweartagod! How funny. We always think a like!

Amy January 21, 2013 at 7:39 am

Really, Lisa? HA. That’s so funny! We share the same taste buds. I saw these on Pinterest and knew immediately I had to make them. Are you posting them? I did add extra garlic (naturally) and also some cayenne for a slight kick. We loved them.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary January 22, 2013 at 11:47 am

I can’t post them cause my football crowd ate them all!!

Amy January 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Lol. Right? So hard to get pictures sometimes, when you have an army of starving people. Make them again! Easy enough, that’s for sure.