A Day In The Life

A Day In The Life | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on February 1, 2013 · 20 comments

My two favorite girls! ^^^ Haley and her best friend Morgan, dressed up for Sports Spirit Day at school.

Time: 6:29 am

Weather outside: 42.2 degrees and clear (with a high of 68 degrees.) If we still lived in Minnesota, this is what I would be dealing with.

Minneapolis Weather

On my desk: iPhone, Haley’s birthday party invitations, and Disneyland maps!

On my nightstand: nail clippers, nail polish, and 4 mismatched socks. Where do all the socks go, people? Seriously.

On TiVo: Dallas, Top Chef, Big Bang, Shark Tank (we’re so behind on everything), and about 107 10 Wild Kratts episodes for the kids.

Last movie watched: Drive. Major potential and then lost me after the first hour. Ryan Gosling was the only redeeming thing. Naturally.

Latest workout: I’m doing this. And holy mother!

In my ears: the refrigerator humming.

In the oven: nothing yet, but I’m going to make scones. Trevor’s request.

In my tummy: these breakfast cookies…

In my future: dips. A lot of dips. Like this, this, this, and this.

On tap for dinner: I don’t know! Any suggestions?

Latest obsession: Downton Abbey. That show is so smart, it makes everything else we watch seem incredibly stupid and disappointing. The bar has been raised!

On my mind: Super Bowl Sunday. We have a smaller group than usual. Which means less food. Which means narrowing down my favorite dishes. Which is difficult!

This might be the first year I actually watch the whole 20 minutes of the game. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little excited that our home team is in it. And what drama, with the two competing teams being coached by brothers. Who do the parents root for? I would throw up.

49ers Shirt

Is anyone watching the big game? Commercials? Half time show?

Mom February 5, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Love your “Day In The Life” blogs. The kids dressed up for Sport’s Day so cute, too.

Joanne February 1, 2013 at 5:23 pm

YES for Downton Abbey! I even got the.boy. addicted. We are obsessed!

And Haley seriously gets cuter by the second.

Stacie February 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm

So excited that the 49ers are in the Superbowl!! Going to a party and making soup! Clam chowder for SF! And loving the weather! Had to scrape ice in the morning to take my kids to school, but about 70 now!

Kim February 1, 2013 at 1:05 pm

What sweet and beautiful girls!! And scones? I really hope you publish them. I am a scone fanatic. If I make it through a whole week being all good and healthy, then my big treat on the weekend is no doubt – a hot scone. Trevor has good taste!! Seque…speaking of, I taped Taste and watched about ten minutes of it before I fell asleep. It wasn’t the show’s fault — I was down and out with a cold so I’ll get back to that one. Also (yikes) the Downton Abbey phenomena is passing me by. Maybe I need to sit myself on the couch for a DA marathon this weekend. Enjoy the commercials!

Amy February 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm

The scones came out beautifully! I’m a novice and…who knew they were so easy to make?! Definitely posting them.

Re: The Taste. I watched both audition episodes. I think the format has potential and the judges didn’t annoy me (which is huge), but there’s something off about it. The jury is still out for me. I’ll have to see what the regular season is like.

Downton Abbey. Sigh. Brilliant producing, writing, acting. It’s the trifecta of perfect television. It’s totally up your alley, Kim. You would love it.

Andrea February 1, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Outside: now 3 above (-7 with wind chill)–a BIG IMPROVEMENT!
Inside: thermostat at 73, space heater at my feet at 80, feet on a heating pad (did I mention my home office is cold in the winter and hot in the summer?)
Dinner: no idea
Superbowl: no real rooting interest, though Matt Birk’s (Ravens’ center) mother-in-law caused me to meet my husband (long story); much vodka was involved
Superbowl party: your Kielbasa/Applesauce bites and vodka

Amy February 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm

It was 28 degrees here a few weeks ago and I was a whiney little baby. Paul said I’m not allowed to complain and I told him my body has acclimated. Polska Kielbasa and vodka…sounds about right.

Jude February 1, 2013 at 12:12 pm

BTW – Am I the only person who loved ‘Drive’?! :)

Amy February 1, 2013 at 12:32 pm

If it’s any consolation, I absolutely loved the 1st hour and the last 5 minutes. Ha!

j February 1, 2013 at 11:39 am

Cutest 49er fans I’ve seen yet (and I’m including me in that statement). And, me too, on “Drive.” I loved the opening sequence. It was riveting, but by the end, I was so disappointed.

I’m going to try to make breakfast cookies. Think good thoughts.
xo

Amy February 1, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Hee. Thanks, J. <3 Re: the cookies… you can do it! They're easy, pinky promise!

Jude February 1, 2013 at 10:11 am

Wha?! Breakfast cookies? I’m all over this. Besides, it’s not like I’ll be out playing in the snow when it’s EIGHT BELOW.

kari February 1, 2013 at 9:24 am

I also grew up in the Bay Area and so I may just watch the Niners play. Plus it’s a good excuse to bring out some great noshes. And, I AM being subjected to those bitter colds, I currently live in Northern Iowa, 6 miles from the Minnesota border. It’s 11:23am here and it’s currently 1F or -12F with the wind chill. Freaking cold BABY!!

Amy February 1, 2013 at 9:41 am

Look at that! Another Bay Area native. I love it! Ugh. I just do not miss that cold! Minneapolis was so awesome in every other way, but…I’m just a warm-weathered gal!

Yasmin February 1, 2013 at 9:15 am

I’ll be watching the game! I grew up in the Bay Area and am excited to see the 49ers play. I’m in NC now but still love the Niners. And, at seven months pregnant, the dill pickle dip will be mine this weekend! :-)

Amy February 1, 2013 at 9:39 am

I think no matter where you live, you still end up rooting for the team you grew up watching. Maybe secretly, anyway ;-) Make the dip! You must! It’s a friends and family favorite…and highly coveted by pregnant mamas!

Yasmin February 5, 2013 at 11:52 am

Amy, that dill pickle dip definitely does not disappointment! I think I made a serious dent in it while watching the Niners play on Sunday. Great recipe!

Amy February 5, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Yay! I always triple the recipe when we have a crowd over. To, you know, avoid a fight breaking out ;-)

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary February 1, 2013 at 7:47 am

I didn’t think we’d be hosting since my team (Pats) lost. I didn’t plan on a party but my best friend whined cause she took the night off, so now I’m having a small party. I’m not really interested in the game. I’ll watch the commercials tough!

I thought the same thing about the Mom of those 2 coaches. How do you deal with that????

I just said to one of my blogging friends “I need to do a “Just Now” and here you are with yours.

Amy February 1, 2013 at 9:38 am

I know! Those parents. GAWD. They must be so proud and tormented at the same time! I’ll still end up in the kitchen, but how can I not get into it when my local team is a contender, right?