White Bean Dip

White Bean Dip | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on February 27, 2013 · 31 comments

A recipe from the archives: every afternoon around 2pm, I get that uncontrollable urge to snack, usually in the form of cookies. So, instead I’ve been making this dip. Light, ridiculously easy to whip up, and totally delicious. It’s one of my favorites and I’m forever indebted to Melissa for introducing it to me (almost 2 years ago!)

I couldn’t believe how much our hotel room smelled like garlic…until I realized it wasn’t the room. It was my skin.

Hm. I washed my hands. Brushed my teeth. Nope. The smell was staying with me. Did I really eat THAT much of this dip?

Yes. Yes, I did.

Melissa made this for us during our visit to LA. And I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say I sat at the kitchen table 85% of the evening. Eating this dip. Not wanting to ruin my appetite for dinner, I kept pushing the bowl and carrots away from me, “Okay. Last one.” I think I did that about 20x.

Another proven example of how a few simple ingredients can make magic. Great garlicky and lemony flavors, blended together with fresh herbs. Nice creamy texture, similar to that of Hummus.

Two days later, after we had all returned home, we ganged up on Melissa until she had no choice but to post the recipe stat. I was shocked to find the list of ingredients only included 2 cloves of garlic…which tells me I really did eat that much.

I’ve made it myself since then. And needless to say, I’ve smelled like garlic all week long.

And p.s. just to be clear. To me, smelling like garlic is a good thing.

White Bean Dip

• 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place all of the ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer the bean puree to a small bowl and serve with pita chips and fresh cut vegetables.

(from Melissa at Alosha’s Kitchen, adapted from Giada De Laurentiis)

Deana June 13, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Just made a trial run at this – I’m bringing an appetizer to my in-laws home on Sunday for Father’s Day. Holy cow, is it yummy!!! (And SO easy!!!) Found my new “go-to” bring-along!!!!

Amy @Very Culinary June 13, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Awesome! That’s how I felt when I first had this. So glad you loved it, too!

Nikki @Seeded at the Table July 25, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Made this last night for our guests for dinner and it was a HIT! We had some leftover which Ben pretty much licked the bowl clean today. Funny story, though… I woke up a couple of times during the night last night and could smell GARLIC! ha!

Mom March 26, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I finally got around to making this and can’t believe how much flavor comes from so few ingredients. I’m going to try it as a sandwich spread, too.

Amy March 26, 2013 at 5:53 pm

That’s how I felt the first time I had it! Now that you mention it, might be good on burgers…

sippitysup March 2, 2013 at 11:14 am

I’m dumb for dip. Thanks for the education. I thought they all had to have sour cream to hold my attention. GREG

Lynda February 27, 2013 at 10:05 am

Funny you should repost this now. I got the recipe from my daughter and made it for a party last weekend. I made crostini and coated each one generously. It was delish!

Mom February 27, 2013 at 10:05 am

I’ll try this one soon. It could probably be used as a sandwich spread, too.

Kristi Rimkus February 27, 2013 at 5:53 am

I’ve been looking for a white bean dip as good as one I find at Trader Joe’s. They add lots of garlic too, and it’s fantastic!

Kristi Rimkus February 27, 2013 at 5:53 am

5 Star Foodie June 2, 2011 at 7:36 pm

This would be just perfect to make for lunch tomorrow – I have all the ingredients, thanks!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite June 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm

This is one of my favorite dips! So delicious and refreshing!

Anne June 1, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Hi Amy! It’s so good to check into your blog again! Woot! Okay, I’m going crazy with the exclamation points. Anyway, I love these kinds of dips and so does my son. One night I put him to bed and the same thing happened with the garlic smell. It was coming from his skin. At least it kept him safe from vampires.

Stephanie June 1, 2011 at 6:53 am

Is smelling like garlic not normal? Because clearly, if it’s not in every meal then there’s a problem. This dip sounds fab. Easy to see how it could become addicting. But it’s healthy, right? Especially with all those carrots!

Amy June 1, 2011 at 8:35 am

Actually, it IS healthy…just look at the ingredients. Unfortunately, eating an entire batch in one sitting, no matter how many vegetables accompany it, won’t help anyone’s diet. Thank goodness I’m not on a diet ;-)

Rachel May 31, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Any kind of dip is lethal for me. The idea of “portion control” completely goes out the window. Bean dip and hummus ….oh my. A serving size is NOT 2 tablespoons…more like 2 tubs.

Amy May 31, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I know…me too, Rach. I doubled this recipe and still managed to polish most of it off by myself.

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) May 31, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I’m with you – smelling like garlic is a BEAUTIFUL thing. It means you are eating delicious, flavored foods. This looks terrific. My kids love dipping. I’ve got to try this soon.

Jay May 31, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Since Jennifer is a self procalimed “Garlaholic,” I’m sure this tasty treat will be showing up at our house very soon.

Jen May 31, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Hmmm…I guess I should take that as a “hint”. :o)

Amy May 31, 2011 at 4:14 pm

It’s perfect for Poker night!

Mike May 31, 2011 at 10:49 am

On a side note, it’s May 31st and I don’t see any “Shop.” ;)

Amy May 31, 2011 at 4:05 pm

LOL. Of course you’re checking! It’s coming, I SWEAR. Just testing PayPal. Hope to post next week. I love that somebody is actually paying attention to that :D

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary May 31, 2011 at 10:36 am

Smelling like garlic is an excellent thing. Another great recipe from the Sweet Melissa. Gonna add this one to my list for sure!

Amy May 31, 2011 at 4:03 pm

The BOTH of you and a gold mine for me. Who needs cookbooks?

Joanne May 31, 2011 at 10:02 am

I actually LOVE smelling like garlic…it baffles my father to no end as he’s extremely sensitive to smells. But to me it smells like a warm kitchen. I’m cohosting a pretty big dinner party next weekend and am in the market for dip recipes. This sounds like a winner to me!

Amy May 31, 2011 at 4:02 pm

This perfect for you…beans! No meat…and it doesn’t spoil like some cream dips.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 31, 2011 at 8:02 am

Haha I don’t think I’ve ever smelled like garlic but it would be worth it for a delicious dip like this!

Melissa May 31, 2011 at 7:46 am

Smelling like garlic IS a good thing. I think the raw garlic in here makes the garlic in the pores thing a little stronger, too.

I made this again Wednesday and again over the weekend. In fact, it’s what I’m having for lunch today, with a bag of carrots/cauliflower/broccoli. I don’t know why I didn’t make this more often over the years, instead relegating it to “party appetizer” status. Never again! ;)

Amy May 31, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I think we would have made good room mates. And be fat and happy :D

Melissa May 31, 2011 at 8:50 pm