Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage | Very Culinary

by Amy on March 4, 2013 · 44 comments

Begin rant > How is it possible that I don’t have a lick of Irish in me, but growing up, we enjoyed corned beef and cabbage a few times a year…then I marry a full-blooded Irish man…who does not like Corned Beef and Cabbage at all?! And, get this. My sister married an Irish guy, too (what are the odds?), and he doesn’t like corned beef and cabbage, either. I ask you, WHAT ARE THE ODDS? < End rant

This is my mom’s recipe. Actually it’s my grandmother’s recipe. And actuuuaaally, it’s now my recipe, because I sort of totally altered it. And I thought she was going to have a conniption fit when I told her. You don’t mess with tradition, people. And I did.

While I absolutely love her version, I’m in love with this one, too. All the same great flavors, but I added in bit of sugar, an onion and carrots, and instead of boiling it and cooking everything separately, I took a gamble on my crock pot. It paid off.

Paul still wasn’t thrilled. But he ate every last bite on his plate. He’s a good man.

Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
Cook time: 10 hours on low

• 4 cups water
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 bay leaves
• 3 pound corned beef brisket with spice packet
• 5 yellow potatoes, washed and cut into halves or quarters, depending on the size
• 1 sweet onion, peeled and cut into quarters
• 2 cups mini carrots
• 1/2 head of cabbage, cut into 4 segments, leaving a piece of core in tact
• Butter

In a 6 quart crock pot, combine the water, sugar, and bay leaves. Place corned beef, fat side up, in the water mixture along with the contents of the spice packet. Scatter the potatoes, onions, and carrots along the sides and top. Cover, and cook on low for 8 1/2 hours.

Remove lid and scatter the cabbage wedges over the top. Put lid back on and continue cooking for another 1 1/2 hours.

Thinly slice the corned beef against the grain and serve with the vegetables, some of the cooking liquid, and butter.

Print this recipe

EJ March 14, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I so love corned beef and cabbage…. I also use new/red potatoes because that is what my family prefers. I have not used the seasonings as corned beef seems to have a great flavor on its own.

Kara March 3, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I was looking for a sauerkraut and corned beef recipe and came upon this. What are your thoughts to substitute the cabbage with sauerkraut or a mixture of both?

Amy @Very Culinary March 3, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Hm. Sauerkraut would give it a completely different flavor. And I’m not sure how it would break down after cooking for 90 minutes. I wouldn’t do it. But that’s me. You can always try it!

Kara March 5, 2015 at 8:35 am

Thanks for the response. I’m not sure if I’m going to attempt this experiment. I wouldn’t want to ruin the corned beef! There are lots of recipes that include sauerkraut, and this one doesn’t need to be one of them :-)

Deby Campbell October 25, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Can not wait to try this!!! I so love corned beef.

Deb Molnar March 19, 2014 at 10:04 am

I make basically the same recipe, with one exception–use 2 12 oz. bottles of beer (not light) instead of water, add 4 large cloves of garlic, omit sugar. I cook mine for 15 hours, and use an electric knife to cut. Best corned beef you’ll ever have.

Sarah March 17, 2014 at 7:32 am

Hi. I was wondering how long you think it would take if the crock pot was on high?

Amy @Very Culinary March 17, 2014 at 7:45 am

Hi Sarah – usually slow cooker recipes on high are half the cooking time as low (so in this case, 5 hours). But I have never cooked this on high, so I can’t vouch for the results. Good luck!

Anna March 12, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Can this be made with meats other than beef? It looks super good (and I know it’s called corned BEEF), but I’m not a big fan of beef D: For example, like with chicken or turkey?

Amy @Very Culinary March 12, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Hi Anna – hm. I can’t say for certain because I’ve never made this a different way. But the flavor of corned beef and the spice packet that comes with it are really makes this dish. I don’t think chicken or turkey would taste right.

EJ March 14, 2015 at 6:35 pm

I agree Amy. The corned beef does not taste like “beef” at all…. an entirely different flavor even without the seasoning packet. I mean of course you can slow cook chicken, turkey, and pork with the veggies, but the seasoning and flavor will be no where near the same.

julianne January 14, 2014 at 9:23 am

could this recipe be made with a 5-quart slow-cooker?

Amy @Very Culinary January 14, 2014 at 9:52 am

Hi Julianne – this recipe really requires a 6 quart. If you only have a 5 quart, then cut back on the amount of potatoes and/or cabbage to make it all fit.

Susan December 28, 2013 at 10:34 am

I’ve done it just this way for 40+ years, but just throw it in a roaster in my oven. I take the cb out at the end and spread it thinly with yellow mustard and sprinkle with brown sugar and put it back in the oven, covered in foil for about 10 minutes. Sounds like I don’t really need the last step if I do it your way. Thanks to you and my crock pot.

Kathy September 21, 2013 at 3:25 am

Thank you for sharing this recipe!!! I have been looking for a recipe like this!!!

denise March 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Just made this. OMG! Even the kids loved it!

Amy March 14, 2013 at 7:51 pm

YAY!! *claps hands* My kids loved it, too :D

Jen March 13, 2013 at 9:15 am

I made this yesterday and had it for dinner last night, and it was SOOO yummy. The corned beef was so tender that it just fell apart (literally, when I took it out of the slow cooker it fell into two pieces), and the carrots and potatoes were the perfect amount of doneness. I didn’t even need butter with the cabbage because the juices it cooked in were so good. Definitely a KEEPER!

Amy March 13, 2013 at 10:48 am

Right???! Yay :D

Julia March 5, 2013 at 10:14 am

With St. Patty’s coming up I just might have to try your recipe out! I love that it is made in the slow cooker.

MadSCAR March 5, 2013 at 3:22 am

Looks cool, thanks for the recipe!

Joanne March 4, 2013 at 12:53 pm

If it makes you feel any better, The.Boy is greek and doesn’t like feta cheese. Or olives. And these things are pretty much MY.LIFE. UGH!!!

Well, at least he ate it!! You’ve taught him well.

Amy March 4, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Omg. Not liking feta or olives? That’s way worse. Way, way worse. My condolences, Joanne.

Stephanie March 4, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Corned beef and cabbage is seriously one of my favorite meals…but we tend to only have it once a year (plus left overs). I don’t know why! AND, I never even thought to put it in the slow cooker…. That could easily make it a more frequent meal around here!

Amy March 4, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Steph, my mom does the traditional boil and I had intentions to make it that way, too. But it just happened that on the day I planned on making it, we were going to be gone and I couldn’t have it simmering on the stove for 3 hours while we weren’t home. So I thought, why wouldn’t it work in the crock pot?…that’s how I make my pot roast. So happy it came out!

Jen March 4, 2013 at 10:23 am

I am SO trying this! I miss corned beef and cabbage. Jay can just pick around the cabbage. I love the addition of the potatoes and carrots. I bet Mom wasn’t happy…kind of like when I told her I was altering the brisket recipe for Passover. Still brisket, but….

Amy March 4, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I remember that! Ya, same thing. I also asked her to give me her Matzo Ball soup recipe and I think she almost said “no” afraid I would alter that one, too.

Dad March 4, 2013 at 10:06 am

Looks just like Mom’s. I’ll be over.

Now Amy, I hate to burst all the bubbles, but “Corned beef is a salt-cured beef product. The term comes from the treatment of the meat with “corns” of salt. It features as an ingredient in many cuisines, including Jewish and Caribbean cuisines.”

If you would cook it in Guinness…

Anyway, stop the craziness. Just more for me.

Amy March 4, 2013 at 4:02 pm

LOL. Aaaaah, so beer is the key. Of course! I bet it’s usually made that way. I still don’t think he’d like it. Although he might drink the broth like soup. I made Reuben sandwiches today and thought of you. Sometimes an hour drive does feel like an eternity away….

Jay March 4, 2013 at 10:04 am

As the afore mentioned BIL, I actually like the corned-beef half of the equation, it’s the boiled cabbage I can do without.

Amy March 4, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Still wrong. It’s so good…with the meat flavor from simmering. And the butter. And the butter ;-)

pam March 4, 2013 at 9:35 am

Maybe it’s because they ate too much of it growing up?

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary March 4, 2013 at 8:16 am

As a Sicilian I can honestly say….we NEVER had corned beef and cabbage….ever, lol. I love all the veggies but I’m not crazy about the corned beef. Your version does look mighty tasty though. Paul is a good doobee for eating it all :)

Amy March 4, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Lol. No, I guess it wouldn’t be a staple in an Italian household. You know what you should do, Lisa?… cook some up, and then make Reuben sandwiches. Oh god. SO GOOD.

P~ March 4, 2013 at 7:55 am

You have to have carrots with Corned Beef and Cabbage. Good add, I say.

Amy March 4, 2013 at 3:56 pm

It just seemed the natural thing to do..I mean, I wouldn’t dream of leaving it out of my slow cooked pot roast. And besides, I like the added color :D

Melissa March 4, 2013 at 7:38 am

You know what’s crazy? Corned beef and cabbage made an appearance in my (Jewish and totally not Irish) house every couple of months too. It was also one of the only things my mom made that I thought was really good. And her version looks a LOT lot lot like yours – potatoes, cabbage, onion, carrots, crock pot. I love everything about this. :)

Amy March 4, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Ha! No kidding? Well, read my Dad’s comment ^^^…apparently I need to add beer to it, and then Paul will like it *snort*

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel March 4, 2013 at 7:16 am

I almost made something similar this year and decided not to. How funny!

Amy March 4, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Well, obviously my timing is all about the St. Patrick’s holiday, but you can make this anytime during the year. You should, Rachel…it’s seriously delicious.

Sandi Benoit March 4, 2013 at 7:03 am

I make mine almost exactly the same way, minus the sugar and butter…Going to add those ingredients when I make it this year. John’s part Irish and does LOVE corned beef and cabbage :)

Amy March 4, 2013 at 3:51 pm

That’s what I’m talking about! Smart man.

kristy @ the wicked noodle March 4, 2013 at 7:01 am

I saw corned beef at Costco yesterday and I was salivating!! Love your easy recipe, looks delish!!

Ray Mullins March 4, 2013 at 7:21 am

Thanks for the reminder; off to Costco this week to stock up and save!