A Day In The Life

A Day In The Life | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on March 29, 2013 · 23 comments

Buds from our tree ^^^ Yay spring!

Time: 5:55 am

Weather outside: 53 degrees and partly cloudy (with a high of 79 degrees.)

On my desk: a baseball, dental floss, 1st grade Scholastic worksheets, a list of smoothie recipe ideas.

On my countertop: a thermometer, plastic eggs, a box of candy bars for a T-Ball fundraiser, a tub of flour, mixing bowls and measuring cups.

On TiVo: Oh my gosh, I don’t even know. We’ve been watching Sherlock off of Netflix streaming. Love.

Last movie watched: Captain America. A little cheesy and stupid. But come on – it’s a superhero movie. Of course I enjoyed it.

Latest workout: I’m running 3.88 miles (a.k.a. an episode of Breaking Bad) each day. I amped up the incline on Wednesday and OMG, my legs are so sore.

(Going) in the oven: a cake. I’m  making this Chocolate Blackberry Cream Roll Cake for tonight, from Bakingdom.

Chocolate Blackberry Cream Roulade | Bakingdom

In my tummy: cranberry juice

In my ears: Justin Timberlake’s new single Mirrors.

In my future: these Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Taquitos from Damn Delicious. How good do those look?

Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Taquitos | Damn Delicious

Latest obsession: I’m a crazy oatmeal lovin’ fool right now. I’ve been alternating mornings between my Chocolate-Almond Steel Cut Oatmeal

Chocolate-Almond Steel Cut Oatmeal | Very Culinary

…and the Oatmeal Brulee with Maple Cinnamon Cream I recently posted.

Oatmeal Brulee with Maple Cinnamon Cream | Very Culinary

How about some Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal from Table for Two, featured on Baked By Rachel’s blog. Umm. OKAY. Yum.

Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal | Table For Two

And this Maple Baked Oatmeal from Foodie with Family. It’s happening. I swear.

Maple Baked Oatmeal | Foodie with Family

And I have a whole host of other oatmeal recipes to try. I could start an Oatmeal Pinterest board. Hm.

On tap for dinner: an awesome holiday feast, hosted by sister Jen.

On my mind: Oh, just that Paul brought home this stray puppy yesterday, for fear he’d get hit by a car.

Stanley

He’s a boy, neutered, maybe a year old. No tags! Isn’t he adorable?

Paul spent the night downstairs with him. But we’re trying to figure out where to take him today.

We named him Tucker. And took pictures. And video taped him playing with the kids. But we’re not keeping him….we’re not keeping him…we’re not keeping him…

Melissa March 31, 2013 at 12:30 pm

You’re keeping him. Right?

You better make that oatmeal. *Squint*

Amy March 31, 2013 at 7:19 pm

We took him to the vet to have him scanned for a chip. He had one. Owners came to get him. Haley and I cried. The end :(

Joanne March 29, 2013 at 4:04 pm

If you ever/WHEN you come to visit me in NYC…we are running in Central Park together. It’s kind of like one big incline.

And that roll cake of heaven. Seriously. How can you do this to me.

Val March 29, 2013 at 8:27 am

Well, I have five dogs, so three makes you sound nice and normal. ;)

Amy March 29, 2013 at 1:33 pm

HEE. I could easily be that lady…

Jay March 29, 2013 at 7:51 am

I am now wiping off the big smear mark on my computer screen where the picture of the cake roll first appeared.

OOOOOooooooooo………yummy.

Amy March 29, 2013 at 1:26 pm

The finished product is just as fantastic! You’ll get some tonight!!

Mom March 29, 2013 at 7:47 am

I love when you do “A Day In The Life” posts, and this was not a disappointment. That cream roll cake looks to die for. A dog without tags that you already named……you’re in dangerous territory!

Amy March 29, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Let’s just say we kept him *cough* Would you and Dad watch THREE dogs while we’re away? *cough*

Stephanie March 29, 2013 at 7:22 am

SO many things about this post!
1. Go you! Running 3.88 miles per day! Fun fact…Breaking Bad is filmed entirely in New Mexico! Yay, something GOOD about our state! Ha!
2. THAT CAKE. Oh. My Goodness.
3. JT = <3
4. Oatmeal Pinterest board — YES!
5. THE PUPPY!!! Three doggies is a lot, but LOOK at that face!! :D

Amy March 29, 2013 at 1:25 pm

1. I did not know that! Very cool..although here’s hoping the show is mostly fiction.
2. Right??
3. :D
4. On my to-do list!
5. God, I know! I know…

Dina March 29, 2013 at 6:53 am

Keep him.

Amy March 29, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Dina. Lol. You… <3 <3

Heather @ Sugar Dish Me March 29, 2013 at 6:48 am

I am such a sucker. I kept the stray puppy 2 months ago. Her name is Lucy. I love her. Yesterday she ate the blinds but… she’s just so cute.
And the shelters here put the dogs down in 72 hours. By those standards I will just keep all the puppies.
So how about that cake roll? Dang.

Amy March 29, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Oh gosh, we would never take him to a kill shelter *shudders* I can’t even stand the idea of having him in a cage! But gah! We already have two dogs…and 2 little kids…what to do? WHAT TO DO???

Julie March 29, 2013 at 6:48 am

Who are you kidding… Totally keeping that dog!
I am a huge fan of steel cut oats, as is my youngest. Will have to try your suggestions!
What the heck with that chocolate roll thing??? If you happen to go out and walk that new dog and your dessert is gone, I don’t know anything about it.

Amy March 29, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Lol. Seriously. The finished result was quite impressive, I must say! I subbed the blackberries for strawberries, though. Because, well, Trevor…my strawberryoholic.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary March 29, 2013 at 5:46 am

Uh yeah I hafta agree….once you name him, lol.

That cream roll has my mouth watering. Did I mention I’m on a sugar fast….until Sunday…..I can’t wait for Sunday!

Amy March 29, 2013 at 1:18 pm

We’re already so attached after just a day. Sigh. Remember when I did the 30 day no sweets/snacks challenge? It was torture!

Sandi Benoit March 29, 2013 at 5:34 am

Come on Amy………you named him!! Once you name him, he’s yours… Sigh…..Over the years, my kids have brought home stray cats, dogs and even a field mouse (which we set free, to find his family) Rule of thumb, never name them!! Or they stay!! That’s how my folks got Brownie!! Who was a part of our family, for 22 years! Yes a collie mix, who seemed to live forever. As far as my kids and their strays….we promptly called the animal shelter and they took the cats/dogs to find their family who may have lost them. We have a no kill shelter, so I know they found their home :)

Amy March 29, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Years ago I was a volunteer for the Humane Society. I used to bring home so many dogs because I couldn’t stand them in cages. I guess some things never change!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 29, 2013 at 5:21 am

Love this post! I like to pretend that inclines on the treadmill don’t exist when it comes to running:-)

Amy March 29, 2013 at 1:34 pm