Cherry Pizza with Herbed Mascarpone and Arugula

Cherry Pizza with Herbed Mascarpone and Arugula | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on May 24, 2013 · 11 comments

I’m not a big fruit eating person if it’s in its natural state, like a whole banana, whole orange, whole apple, etc. (Unless, of course, I’m at a party. And then I’ll eat fruit right off the tray, without even blinking. Who knows why.)

But I absolutely love fruit in and on things. And there are certain fruits I cannot wait for when they come into season every year. Peaches? Heck ya! Pineapple? Yes, please. And cherries. Love love love cherries.

I found this recipe from BHG Magazine a long time ago, just as cherry season was ending, so I wasn’t able to make it until now. I spotted fresh cherries in my local market last week and practically wept.

Cherry Pizza with Herbed Mascarpone Cheese | Very Culinary

I changed up a few things, but it still had a crispy crust, herbed spread, peppery arugula, and sweet cherries. This was fantastic!

Cherry Pizza with Herbed Mascarpone and Arugula
Serves 2-3

• 2 flatbreads (I used Naan)
• 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
• 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
• 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
• 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
• lemon zest from 1 lemon
• salt and pepper
• 12 pitted dark sweet cherries, halved
• 1 cup fresh baby arugula
• 2 tablespoons honey

Bake the flatbreads in the oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Let cool slightly.

While the flatbreads are cooking, make your spread. In a food processor combine mascarpone, creme fraiche, onion, parsley, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Process until smooth.

Spread the cooled flatbreads with the mascarpone mixture. Top with arugula and cherries, then drizzle with honey. Cut into wedges and enjoy!

(adapted from Better Homes and Gardens)

joan March 14, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Amy,
I love this recipe, but alas I am allergic to cherries :)
Any thing else I could put on top like fig jam or cherry tomatoes?
btw, Your corned beef recipe is in the crockpot ! Yum!

Amy @Very Culinary March 14, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Hi Joan – yay! Hope you enjoy it! I would say red grapes would be a good substitute for the cherries…

joan March 14, 2014 at 2:02 pm

mmm sounds good! thanks!

G July 2, 2013 at 2:57 pm

What did you serve with this?

Amy July 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I’ve made this a few times now and always serve it for lunch on its own. Would also work well as an appetizer.

Stephanie June 4, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I am totally the same way about fruit! I crave it every once Ina while, but practically have to force myself to eat it by itself most times. Funny thing is, it always ends up tasting really good and I wonder why I don’t eat it more often. Anyway, this pizza sounds so delicious! I’ll have to plan to make this the next time the hubs is away, since he’d never go for it.

Joanne May 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I am weird about my fruits also and can only eat certain ones in certain applications…but cherries I am down with in any form. I coudl totally devour a five pound bag in an hour. Probably less.

This pizza is a need. A serious serious need.

Cassie May 24, 2013 at 11:05 am

This is gorgeous, Amy! I love the flavors you chose for this.

Kim May 24, 2013 at 7:56 am

Pretty food. I need more pretty food like this in my life– it elevates lunch to a celebration! Creme fraiche is an old heartthrob of mine that I can never ever resist and this spread of whipped white goodness spiked with red onion, parsley and lemon zest– and arugula! and honey! makes it even more irresistible. I can see exactly why you originally clipped this. And I’m glad I’m not the only one jumping up and down when the cherries show up.

Tieghan May 24, 2013 at 6:28 am

Sp pretty! Love!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary May 24, 2013 at 6:04 am

Amy that pizza looks super refreshing! I love cherries too!