Grilled Fish Tacos with Chili-Lime Slaw

Grilled Fish Tacos with Chili-Lime Slaw | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on June 5, 2013 · 15 comments

Where I am, summer weather hit a long time ago. But this past weekend I officially made the shift, swopping out the long sleeved shirts and pants for shorts and tank tops, and tucked away my folder full of casserole and dense pasta recipes. I hate being in limbo, so this always feels good.

This is also the time my grill goes from friend, to best friend.

I’m back with another recipe utilizing Australis‘ sustainably-raised barramundi and decided to test it out on the grill. It worked beautifully. It’s meaty enough that it didn’t fall apart, but flakes like any great fish should.

Grilled Fish Tacos with Chili-Lime Slaw | Very Culinary

I know it’s hard for some people to get excited about fish in the same way, say, you would with bacon or a hot fudge sundae. But I am loving this fish! It’s so mild and versatile. And barramundi’s a superfood, containing only half of the calories of Salmon, yet is still high in Omega-3s. Gotta love that.

Another thing to love? These fish tacos. The simple spice rub and crunchy kicked-up coleslaw, along with soft, flavorful corn tortillas, balanced out perfectly with the mellow fish. Paul took one bite and asked when I would make them again.

Grilled Fish Tacos with Chili-Lime Slaw | Very Culinary

Australis is a pioneer in close-containment farming, which is considered the gold-standard in sustainable aquaculture. And this ocean-friendly fish is farmed with innovative practices recognized by the Seafood Choices Alliance.

Australis' Barramundi

Barramundi is being launched in Northern California Costco stores for a limited period of time. Check out the Australis Facebook page for updates and news on when and where you can find it!

(Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Australis Aquaculture. I was compensated via the NoshOnIt Partner Publisher Program. As always, opinions are my own.)

Grilled Fish Tacos with Chili-Lime Slaw

• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
• 6 good quality corn tortillas

In a medium bowl, combine the coleslaw, yogurt, chili sauce, lime juice, and pinch of salt. Set aside.

Prepare an indoor or outdoor grill for high heat.

In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 teaspoon of salt, garlic powder, paprika, and coriander. Pat the fish dry and rub both sides with the spice mixture. Thoroughly coat the grill grates with nonstick spray or oil. Place fish on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, depending how thick each filet is, until the fish is cooked and the flesh flakes with a fork.

About a minute before the fish is done, place tortillas on the grill to lightly toast (keep an eye on them so they don’t burn!)

Assemble the tacos by dividing the fish and slaw among the tortillas. Sprinkle some parsley on top of each and an extra spritz of lime. Serve immediately.

(adapted from my Mini Fish Tacos)

Matt Wilson December 5, 2013 at 1:35 am

Can’t wait to cook this

Lynne July 1, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I just made these for dinner this evening and they were outstanding! The flavor of the fish contrasted perfectly with the slaw. Seriously, I’ve been trying a lot of fish taco recipes lately and you nailed it with this recipe. These have officially made it to the official summer rotation list! Thank you!

Amy July 2, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Awesome!! So happy to hear it!

Joanne June 6, 2013 at 11:46 am

(a) those photos!! gorgeous. the light is just perfect.
(b) I always feel so sad going into summer and seeing all these grilling recipes because I will never have a grill…oh life in NYC.

Mom June 5, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Just finished dinner and can say these were outstanding. I’m sold on the barramundi fish filets, the rub and coleslaw. Each had it’s own flavor. Fresh tortillas make a difference, too. I used cilantro rather than regular parsley for an extra bit of flavor. This gets ***** (five stars) from me!!

Tiffany | baking at tiffanys June 5, 2013 at 9:48 am

I love fish tacos. These are making me hungry. Great to hear barramundi are available at Costco too!

Jen June 5, 2013 at 9:09 am

I AM making these. Your pics are fantastic…so much so that the second one made me drool. Seriously, there’s a puddle on my desk.

Amy June 5, 2013 at 9:22 am

Yay! Thanks, Jen! :D <3 You and Jay would love these.

Rachel June 5, 2013 at 8:41 am

These look sooooooooo good. I love love love fish tacos! I’m going to ask my Mom to grill these, since I don’t do well with open flames. :)

Amy June 5, 2013 at 8:54 am

You could bake or saute them, too. But nothing is like grilled!

Mom June 5, 2013 at 8:35 am

These look really tasty and will make them as soon as I find the fish.

Erika June 5, 2013 at 6:54 am

This looks insanely good!! Want that entire plate, like right now.

Sandi Benoit June 5, 2013 at 6:48 am

I’ll see if they’re at my Costco today! Wednesday is Costco day!! Amy they look and sound amazing!! Married 39 years and never had a fish taco…*Hangs her head in shame*

Amy June 5, 2013 at 8:54 am

I can’t believe it! First time I ever had one was in San Diego about 20 years ago. Sounded so strange at the time, but I immediately fell in love! If you can’t find them at Costco, they are also sound under the Waterfront Bistro name at Safeway in the frozen section.

Tieghan June 5, 2013 at 6:00 am

I LOVE fish tacos and these look awesome!! Holy yum!!