Just like food on toothpicks, my kids get excited about food on skewers. Granted, cake and melted chocolate is certainly more of a selling point than grilled zucchini, but they would eat that, too. It must be the danger of it all. Like “OMG. Mom is letting us eat off this sharp stick! COOL!”
Aren’t these fun? And with fresh fruit, cake, and white chocolate drizzled over the top, do I really need to tell you how delicious they are?
Super easy and adaptable for any size crowd. Perfect for the 4th of July!
Red, White, and Blue Dessert Kabobs
Makes about 24 (6-inch) skewers
Prep time: 20 minutes
• 6 ounces pound cake (I just used 1/2 a Sara Lee package), cut into 1-inch cubes
• 8 ounces fresh strawberries (about 12 medium), stems removed and quartered
• 6 ounce container fresh blueberries
• 12 regular skewers, cut in half
• 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
• 1 tablespoon crisco shortening
Thread 2 pieces of strawberries, 3 blueberries, and 2 cubes of cake onto each skewer, alternating between each one and ending with a blueberry.
In a small bowl, microwave the white chocolate in 30 second intervals until smooth. Stir in the shortening until fully incorporated and has a loose consistency.
Place finished skewers on a platter and drizzle with the chocolate. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
(adapted from SkinnyTaste)