Kicked-up Peachy Baby Back Ribs

Kicked-up Peachy Baby Back Ribs | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on July 10, 2013 · 14 comments

I may not be very skilled at making a pie crust, and I still struggle with phyllo dough, and yes, I could use A LOT more practice with roasting a whole turkey. But friends, I can grill. I. Can. Grill.

People who meet us for the first time assume that I cook inside, while Paul cooks outside. Such a silly stereotype, btw. My beloved Paul, does not cook anywhere. He changes the propane tank for me…that’s it.

I’m especially known for my brats and baby back ribs. There is definitely a technique to both. I sear mine a little on both sides for a few minutes and then it’s low and slow until the end.

Kicked-Up Peachy Baby Back Ribs | Very Culinary

Then we gorge ourselves like it’s the last meal we’ll ever have. And weep a little when the last bone hits the plate.

Kicked-up Peachy Baby Back Ribs
Serves 4-6
Cook time (sauce): 1 hour
Cook time (ribs): 30 minutes

• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon dry mustard
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• generous pinch of cayenne pepper or to taste
• 2 racks (about 4 pounds) Baby Back ribs, excessive fat trimmed, and cut into thirds
• 3 cups peach nectar
• 1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce
• 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
• 1/3 cup low sodium or gluten free soy sauce
• 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne. Rub the spice mixture all over both sides of the ribs. Place ribs in a large plastic Ziploc bag; chill for 4 hours or overnight.

In the meantime, make the sauce. Combine the peach nectar, tomato sauce, onion, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 45-60 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally. (Reserve 1/3 for basting, rest of it for serving.)

Preheat an outdoor gas grill for medium-high, leave 1-2 burners off (depending how large your grill is.) Grill the ribs directly over the heat, turning them often, until well browned, about 8 minutes total. Transfer the seared ribs to the unlit burners, cover the grill, and cook until no pink remains when cut near the bone, but still juicy and tender, about 22-25 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of grilling, brush both sides of the ribs with the reserved sauce.

Transfer to a cutting board, cover with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut ribs in-between the bones, serve with extra sauce.

Note: if you don’t have access to a grill, you can slow cook these in the oven. Instructions here.

(sauce slightly adapted from BHG magazine)

Print this recipe

Mom July 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Sounds and looks delicious, so I can’t wait to try it. Where did you get the peach nectar?

Amy July 14, 2013 at 8:18 am

It’s in the section of the market with all the other juices – not refrigerated, but where the juice boxes and other fruit juices are.

Joanne July 10, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I am SO.SO proud of you! I hope to someday learn how to grill…you know. When I have somewhere to actually do it. :)

cassie July 10, 2013 at 10:40 am

Grilling is a great skill to have, Amy! And I absolutely love these flavors. Ribs are one of my favorite summer treats…I love enjoying food with my hands and even more, the excuse to get messy!

Stephanie July 10, 2013 at 8:06 am

There aren’t many things better than slow cooked meats. Especially when they’re slathered in a deliciously sticky and messy sauce. These look insanely good. Like mouthwateringly good. Like, please ship some. NOW. :D

Amy July 10, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I have a few other recipes where the meat cooks for several hours. It’s just…oh my. Seriously nothing like it, huh?

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen July 10, 2013 at 8:03 am

I think it’s fate that I just bought a giant bag of peaches. This sauce sounds positively delicious!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary July 10, 2013 at 7:51 am

I never grilled a rib in my life until John. His Mom makes the best ribs. Her method is different from yours so I’m totally stoked about trying them your way too. Here’s how we do ribs Carol style.

I use my spice rub on them the night before. I also remove that “skin” on the back side. I hate that stuff. Double wrap them in heavy duty foil (sprayed with veg oil), then put them on the grill for 1 hour and 10 mins on medium heat, flipping every 20 mins or so. Unwrap them and then put on direct heat for 10 – 15 minutes or so, applying BBQ at the last few minutes. The last time we made them (last week), you could pull the bone right out with your hands. So delicious! Now I want to make ribs again. I should blog them and then we can all compare our rib recipes!

Amy July 10, 2013 at 3:18 pm

This basically sounds like the reverse of what I do, but equally as fantastic! I will try it some time. I have also slow cooked them in the oven, which I thought was delicious, but just not the same.

kristy @ the wicked noodle July 10, 2013 at 7:43 am

Are you kidding me with these?!! I just finished my green juice for breakfast, was not ready to see your gorgeous photos of finger-lickin’ yummy ribs. LOVE ribs and I’m loving the sauce here, too.

ps. Your writing always makes me laugh…

Amy July 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Hee. Thanks, Love! What’s funny is, I was formatting the article before posting…while eating a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats cereal. Breakfast was all of a sudden quite pathetic! Is it bad that I wanted these ribs at 5am?

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen July 10, 2013 at 7:40 am

Love the sound of that sauce and I’m sure these ribs would disappear so fast at my house that it would make my head spin!

Tieghan July 10, 2013 at 6:31 am

These are awesome! I LOVE that sauce!

carrian July 10, 2013 at 6:13 am

love how saucy and delicious those look!