(Copycat) Chipotle Steak Burrito

(Copycat) Chipotle's Steak Burrito from Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on July 22, 2013 · 34 comments

I was first introduced to Chipotle by my friend Dina, when we were both living in Minnesota. My love was immediate. We would meet there once a month or so and stuff ourselves until our bellies hurt.

Years later, I met Paul and Chipotle became our place. We would go there about once a month week…and stuff ourselves until our bellies hurt.

We rarely go anymore, since the kids don’t like Mexican food (gggrrr), but when we do, it’s considered a treat. I know…Chipotle, a treat. HA. But, it is!

I eat different fast food now and again, but Chipotle was (and is) really the only fast food I ever truly want. And crave. Badly. So the other day I was feeling creative, and decided to see if I could replicate my favorite item, which btw, never ever changes. In the 12 years I’ve been going there, I always get the same exact thing. This is it.

(Copycat) Chipotle's Steak Burrito | Very Culinary

I would say these were pretty damn close, friends. And certainly fantastic. We stuffed ourselves until our bellies hurt.

(Copycat) Chipotle’s Steak Burrito
Makes 4

• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or scant 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• pinch of salt and pepper
• 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 1 pound skirt steak

• 4 roma tomatoes, cored and diced small
• 1 cup finely diced red onion
• 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced
• 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro (or parsley)

• 2 cups cooked basmati rice, warm
• 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
• 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro (or parsley)
• 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1 can (15 ounce) low sodium black beans, rinsed, drained, and warmed
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas

Combine oregano, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Rub spice mixture over both sides of steak, along with the vegetable oil. Refrigerate while preparing your other ingredients.

In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño, and 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro.

Drizzle the lime juice and oil over the top of warm rice, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro and salt; fluff with a fork.

Heat a grill to medium-high. Coat grill grates with oil or nonstick spray. Cook steak for about 4 minutes per side, or to your liking. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain.

Warm tortillas over a gas burner or in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Place on a flat surface, evenly distribute the rice, then steak, topped with beans, the pico de gallo and sour cream. Fold the flap nearest you over the filling, then fold in the sides. Roll burrito away from you, keeping it tight to form a log. Rest, seam side down.

Serve with tortilla chips!

Mike October 5, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Only changes I made was using instant rice instead of the Bastami, these were a hit! We started with 8 tortillas and ran out. Kids loved them too. With just one jalapeño it was not too spicy for them. Thank you for the recipe it’s in my save folder ;-)

Amy @Very Culinary October 5, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Awesome, Mike! So happy to hear it!

Kimberlee September 19, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Tried this tonight for dinner since my husband is a HUGE Chipotle fan. (It’s ranked #3 on the things he missed about home during his two deployments with the army.)

Sadly, although it was tasty, it does not come close in his opinion.

The meat isn’t nearly as spicy and the rice needs a heavier base flavor, maybe vinegar? Plus, I’m pretty sure their black beans are always sloppy and wet when they’re piling them on and not drained.

Amy @Very Culinary September 19, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Hi Kimberlee. Sorry you were disappointed! If you like the meat more spicy, you can certainly tweak it so. And you’re right, the beans they serve are more sloppy, but I don’t prefer them that way. I certainly can’t recreate it to a T, since I’ve never worked there and don’t know every single ingredient and method that goes into them. We’re big fans of Chipotle and feel like this is a great copy cat. So, agree to disagree. Based on several other positive reviews, I’m not alone:)

JG August 23, 2014 at 5:06 am

Chipotle prepares this, as mexican food goes with Cilantro, not parsley. Very different flavor!
Parsley shouldn’t be an option.
>> great recipe, thanks!
J

Amy @Very Culinary August 23, 2014 at 6:50 am

I’m quite aware of that, but I don’t like cilantro. Parsley works perfectly fine. If you prefer cilantro, then by all means, use it instead :)

Jen June 10, 2014 at 7:23 pm

This looks great! I used to work at chipotle and although I wasn’t a cook, I’ve been able to perfect some recipes at home. I make the steak by buying a can of chili peppers in adobo sauce and smother the steaks in them. We like it super spicy! But I think I will definitely give your recipe a try! It looks amazing!

Amy @Very Culinary June 13, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Thanks, Jen! You’ll have to let me know how it compares…

Jenny June 3, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Ok, I like never post on these, but this time, I had to! This ROCKS! This is my hubby’s fave menu item from Chipotle, I personally, have never been there, weird, I know. Anyway, made it a couple weeks ago, on the stove and it was AWESOME. Made it again today, for his birthday, out on the grill and I have NO words, no way to describe how much we loved it, we turned into psycho pigs ;) So, thank you SO much for figuring this out and sharing it with everyone! I had to share on Facebook, it’s that good. Thank you, thank you!

Amy @Very Culinary June 3, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Oh, I LOVE that you decided to post a comment. Sharing these recipes and hearing how someone else loved it as much as I do, is the best! I’m so glad you enjoyed them. Thanks, Jenny!

Missy March 26, 2014 at 8:22 am

Yum!

Krysta February 17, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I’m eating this right now, and it’s DELICIOUS! The hubby agrees (so far he is on his second burrito, and has said it’s “seriously unbelievable” and “wicked good!”), so this recipe will be a keeper! The closest Chipotle is 40 min away, Thanks so much!

Amy @Very Culinary February 17, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Awesome! That’s how I feel about these, too. Yay!

Domarina February 12, 2014 at 12:10 pm

How many calories is this copycat?? Thanks so much!

Amy @Very Culinary February 12, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Hi Domarina – I don’t know, sorry. But I’m sure you could Google for an online calorie calculator and then plug in the ingredients.

Dave February 1, 2014 at 8:32 am

This recipe sounds delicious!

Quick question, how much money does it take to put together a meal like this?

Amy @Very Culinary February 1, 2014 at 8:37 am

Oh gosh Dave, I don’t know. All the spices, oil, rice, and black beans are pantry staples for me. And since I buy all my groceries together, I’ve never really broken it out. It’s not an expensive meal (IMHO)…the skirt steak is the most expensive item, which might run you around $8 depending where you live. It’s worth it!

Shnay M. December 20, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Just made these because I had a huge Chipotle craving and the nearest one is 2 hours away! I used chicken instead and it came out amazing! Ugh so good and I’m stuffed!

Amy @Very Culinary December 20, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Awesome!

Lucy @ Bake Play Smile November 20, 2013 at 2:45 am

Yum! These look so delish! I can’t wait to try them out one night for dinner – my husband will love them!!! xx

Jenny November 2, 2013 at 5:15 am

I made this recipie a few weeks ago for my family. My husband said its the nicest burrito hes ever had ! Im making them again tonight for friends. Thanks so much for sharing !!!

Amy @Very Culinary November 2, 2013 at 7:17 am

Hi Jenny! That’s awesome! We love them, so glad you guys did too!

Sherri @ The Well Floured Kitchen September 26, 2013 at 4:23 am

Chipotles is the only fast food I will eat! My kids love it too. This looks incredible, can’t wait to try it!

stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out August 21, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Shut the front door. Chipotle is the only fast food I will really eat on any sort of regular basis, and I NEED it regularly…Must make this happen at home. And for the record, your burrito looks so much prettier than theirs do ;-)

marie August 7, 2013 at 7:49 am

Thanks for this recipe. My daughter is obsessed with Chipotle, it would be great to be able to make a similar recipe at home once in a while.

Amy August 5, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Oh.my.goodness. This looks amazing! I am with you in the Chipotle obsession. It’s a relatively cheap meal out but I’ve always thought, “this would be just as good, if not better, at home.” Thanks for sharing your recreation!

Stephanie July 26, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I’m not big on fast food, but feel the same way about Chipotle. Somehow it doesn’t feel like fast food. I just can’t get over how HUGE the burritos are! Way to go on the recreation, friend! Love!

Heather @ Sugar Dish Me July 25, 2013 at 7:30 am

My kids won’t eat Mexican food either!!! Annoying. Except there are exceptions to the weird Mexican foodiness rules: they will eat Taco Bell (What????) and they like me to make tacos at home. Gorgeous burritos!!!

Dan from Platter Talk July 23, 2013 at 9:32 am

These look really good!!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen July 23, 2013 at 8:04 am

Ahhhh, Chipotle….love it! There’s one a block from my apartment and it takes some serious willpower not to go every week :)

Joanne July 22, 2013 at 7:11 pm

The kids don’t like Mexican food?!? Are you sure they’re yours? :P

I do love me some Chipotle also and it’s really the only fast food I’ll eat. Which is saying a lot.

pam July 22, 2013 at 1:05 pm

These would make a perfect lunch for school! Which starts back next week :(

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain July 22, 2013 at 9:33 am

Now, this is one sexy looking burrito!!

Jen @ Savory Simple July 22, 2013 at 8:07 am

I want all of this to myself. All of it!