Make-Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas

Make Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas from Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on September 18, 2013 · 10 comments

Don’t you just love make-ahead meals? Even when life isn’t crazy, it’s still nice to prep something in advance, so it’s ready to go when you need it. Freeing up time to surf Pinterest Facebook get stuff done around the house.

Well, I have another home run recipe for you today, friends! Aside from it being easy, it’s versatile, which is always a bonus to me. Don’t like ham? Use turkey. Or sausage. Can’t live without bacon? Go for it! Want some spice? Add a jalapeño. Not crazy about cheddar? Try a different cheese. Customize this to your liking. (I do, however, highly recommend you not skip the sour cream and salsa, at least with this ham and cheddar version – it’s like that something extra that brings it all home.)

Make-Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas | Very Culinary

And the “breakfast” title? Pfft. I’ve made this countless times, more for dinner than anything else. Just put it together in the morning, instead of the night before.

Love. This.

Make-Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas

• 2 cups deli ham, chopped small
• 1/2 cup chopped green onions
• 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
• 12 (6-8 inches) flour tortillas
• 1 1/4 cup half-and-half
• 4 large eggs
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon flour
• salsa, sour cream, and extra green onions for serving

Coat a 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Mix together the ham, green onions and 2 cups of the cheese in a medium bowl. Scoop 1/3 cup of the cheese mixture onto each tortilla; roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish (I placed mine 10 the long way and then 2 on the side.)

Whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, salt, and flour. Pour liquid over tortillas. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, preheat oven to 350º. Bake, covered, for 35 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over enchiladas. Bake for 10 more minutes or until tops are golden brown and the egg mixture is set.

Serve with salsa, sour cream, and additional green onions.

Note: this recipe has been cited in a few places using 10 tortillas, but every time I make it, I always have enough filling for 12.

(from The Girl Who Ate Everything, originally from Look Who’s Cookin Now)

Print this recipe Save this recipe

Ashley January 8, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Can you make this up a head of time and freeze it for a later date?

Amy @Very Culinary January 8, 2014 at 7:56 pm

I don’t know for sure, since I’ve never done that, but I wouldn’t recommend it just based on the eggs and half and half mixture – those ingredients don’t tend to freeze well. Having said that, you can always try!

Terry October 17, 2013 at 8:22 am

Can I make this and take to be served at a place 2 hours away if I can keep it warm?

Amy @Very Culinary October 17, 2013 at 8:43 am

Hi Terry – obviously nothing is as good as right from the oven, and the cheese won’t be as gooey, but I definitely believe you could serve this 2 hours later. Nothing is going to spoil. Pull it right from the oven just as you’re about to hit the road, and keep it covered/wrapped to trap in any heat while you’re in transit.

Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out September 18, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Unfortunately, Boyfriend is neither a fan of eating in the mornings NOR does he much care for pancakes/waffles/carby breakfast things.

WAIT. Why am I with him?

Anyway. This for dinner might solve all of our breakfasty dilemmas.

Joanne September 18, 2013 at 5:32 pm

More pinterest time?! I mean, uhhhh…vacuuming….LOVE IT. I mean…I just kind of love eggs in general. All the time.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking September 18, 2013 at 3:01 pm

This is such a scrumptious idea for an easy, quick breakfast the next day! Perfect for holiday guests. I love it!

pam (Sidewalk Shoes) September 18, 2013 at 8:29 am

I would love this for breakfast!! What a great make ahead idea!

steph@stephsbitebybite September 18, 2013 at 7:46 am

This is such a great idea!!! This would be perfect for big family holiday mornings!

Melissa September 18, 2013 at 7:01 am

I’ve been pondering another weekday breakfast option for me and Steve. THIS. THIS will work. :D :D :D