Tex-Mex Migas (scrambled eggs with personality!)

Tex-Mex Migas | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on September 30, 2013 · 13 comments

It’s story time, friends!

Once upon a time, there was this gal (we’ll call her Amy.) She was in a relationship with this guy (let’s call him Baron Von Farty Pants.) She used to eat potato chips for dinner. He, on the other hand, could cook 5-star chef quality meals.

He used to make this simple scrambled egg dish on the weekends that had bell pepper, cheese, and tortillas in it. Tortillas…what? Amy had never had such a creation growing up, thought it was weird, but absolutely loved and requested it often.

They broke up because Amy was awesome and he….wasn’t. Fast forward 15 years and Amy missed those eggs. Then she spotted a recipe in a magazine using all of these ingredients and Bam!, realized this was an actual dish made all over Spain, called Migas.

So Amy, now quite capable in the kitchen, created her own version, and has been making them for herself, husband, and two kids ever since.

Don’t you just love happy endings?

Tex-Mex Migas

• 8 large eggs
• 2 tablespoons skim milk
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 4 good quality corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips, then into 2 inch rectangles
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 small sweet onion, diced small
• 1/2 cup bell pepper (I used red and yellow), diced small
• 1 medium jalapeño, finely diced
• 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese
• 2 scallions, chopped
• salt and pepper

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk; set aside.

Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Once the butter melts, add the tortillas and cook; stirring, until they are golden and crispy. Add in the garlic, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño. Season with some salt and pepper to taste. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add the eggs to the skillet, reduce heat to medium; stir to scramble and combine until most of the moisture has been absorbed. Season with a sprinkle more salt and pepper.

Remove from heat. Serve hot, topped with some cheese and scallions.

Donna Love March 2, 2014 at 10:12 am

WOW made these this morning for the family. We love food and I especially love Migas, and these were DElicious. Thanks for sharing

Amy @Very Culinary March 2, 2014 at 10:22 am

Yay! I’m so glad, Donna! My family loves this dish :D

Tammy Drzonek January 7, 2014 at 12:05 am

This is great! And it is exactly the same story I am experiencing now except my ex-boy toy ( who shall remain nameless ) fried up small pieces of bacon and onion used the fat from that to fry the corn tortillas and he used homemade salsa …. Awesome … I have been trying to remember this for years! Thx!

Amy @Very Culinary January 7, 2014 at 11:09 am

Bacon makes everything better – sound delicious!

Stephanie October 4, 2013 at 9:49 am

This sounds super good! We make egg scrambles all the time and have tortillas on the side, but never would have thought to incorporate them into the actual scramble. I will definitely be trying this in the near future!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl October 2, 2013 at 9:38 am

This would be a sure winner in our house, super yum!

Mom October 1, 2013 at 8:21 am

Sounds really good, and I know one person in this household will try it. All I need are the peppers and cheese and I’ll be good to go.

Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out September 30, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Well, it sounds like Amy (I thinks he should be Princess Amy, but that’s just me) made a good decision because it sounds like she would have had a very gas-filled relationship with Baron von Farty Pants. But, like the wise woman she is, she used that relationship to learn an important lesson: Migas are awesome. See, every relationship has something to teach us! (I imagine this is how you will explain this to your daughter after her first breakup someday.)

Joanne September 30, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Those are the kinds of fairy tales I plan on telling my kids. Migas happy endings are the best kind.

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain September 30, 2013 at 8:45 am

I am obsessed with migas!! Can’t wait to give this version a try!

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste September 30, 2013 at 7:36 am

Love, love, love this kicked up version of classic scrambled eggs! Can’t wait to try these for brunch next weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Kim September 30, 2013 at 5:59 am

At least Baron Von was good for something. Frying the tortilla chips first sounds perfect for some added crunch. I don’t make eggs that often anymore, but the next time I do, a skillet meal like this will surely hit the spot on a cool weekend morning.

P.S. I’m LOVING your photography these days. It’s so clear and be-a-u-tiful.

Amy @Very Culinary September 30, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Aaaaah, thank you so much Kim! Now if only I had your mad writing skillz…