Easy Chinese Orange Beef Stir-Fry

Easy Chinese Orange Beef Stir Fry is on the table in 25 minutes from Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on October 10, 2013 · 23 comments

Paul and I both work from home. This has its perks…and its downside. But it’s been like this for so long, I barely remember a time when it wasn’t. One of the nice things is, we take a brisk walk together every morning once the kids are at school.

It’s 25 minutes of me complaining of how unproductive I’m being. And 25 minutes of him telling me to shut up and just enjoy it. HA.

No, really. We talk about upcoming movies we want to see (most of which don’t warrant theatre prices), how screwed up our government is and how much we hate politicians (which includes ALL of them), the latest standings in the MLB playoffs (my A’s are going strong!!), remodeling the house (most of which is completely unrealistic), and the funny things our kids say (because, come on, we’re parents.) Paul also shares with me useless information he found on the internet, and I bore him with recipes I want to try. We cover a lot in 25 minutes!

Last week, I told him about this orange beef I was serving for dinner, listing all the ingredients. He said, “Ah, all your favorites.”

Yep.

Chinese Orange Beef

• zest from a small orange
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce (low-sodium or gluten free)
• 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
• 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch
• 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 3/4 pound fresh green beans, ends cut, trimmed into 2-inch pieces
• 1 1/2 pounds sirloin, sliced thinly with the grain and then into 2-inch wide pieces
• 2 scallions, chopped

In a medium bowl, whisk together the orange zest, orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, ginger, and cornstarch.

In a large nonstick sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the green beans and stir for about 4-5 minutes until crisp-tender. With a slotted spoon, transfer them to a large bowl. Pat the sirloin dry with paper towels; add to the pan, spreading the pieces out; let cook, without stirring, for 1 minute. Toss and transfer to the bowl with the green beans.

Give the orange juice mixture a swirl and add it to the pan; cook scraping up any brown bits, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add sirloin and green beans back into the pan, along with any accumulated juices, and the scallions; toss to coat.

Serve over rice.

(adapted from America’s Test Kitchen)

Print this recipe

Jen December 30, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I FINALLY made this tonight. OMG…SO yummy! Definitely a keeper and a repeater. :-)

Amy@Very Culinary December 30, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Yay! I’m so happy you made it. Better late than never. I knew you’d love it!

Stephanie October 20, 2013 at 9:18 am

This sounds and looks delish! I love trying Asian recipes at home since it’s one of my favorite things to eat out and making it at home is (obviously) cheaper. This is definitely on my recipe radar!

P.S. I’m jealous of your morning walks! :)

Julie October 20, 2013 at 4:59 am

Ok. What is chili garlic sauce? I found two types at our grocery. One was sweet sounding and the other was hot (which isn’t going to happen in this house). I didn’t get either one, because I wasn’t sure if it was right or not. Making this tomorrow night, though. :)

Amy @Very Culinary October 20, 2013 at 7:57 am

2 huh? Hm. I always get the same kind – Lee Kum Kee brand in the Asian section of my market. It’s spicy. You won’t do spicy at all? It’s a small amount, but balances out the sweetness of the brown sugar and orange nicely.

Julie October 20, 2013 at 11:38 am

How convenient for us. We happened to be eating at one of our favorite restaurants that is next to the Asian grocery, so we went next door and picked up a bottle. I’ll just know to be careful–we can do spicy, but have to be cautious with the hubby’s tummy (I’m sure you read about Stephie’s in her “Rethinking Skinny post–he has a few of the same issues, just not as bad). Looking forward to dinner tomorrow night! Yum!

Julie October 21, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Yum! We both enjoyed it very much! Thank you for the recipe. :) Seasoning was just right.

Amy @Very Culinary October 21, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Awesome! I’m so happy you liked it :D

Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out October 10, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Hey, at least you’re predictable! ;-)

This looks so quick and easy and, c’mon, who doesn’t like orange beef? GET IT.

Joanne October 10, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I didn’t realize both of you worked from home! I’m not sure the.boy and I could handle that…but I suppose our 20 mile runs are like your 25 minute walks? just…all at one time. :P

Happy Valley Chow October 10, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Yummy! I love orange sauce on anything, looks delicious :)

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl October 10, 2013 at 1:15 pm

These are all of my favorites, too. :) LOVE every bite!

pam (Sidewalk Shoes) October 10, 2013 at 10:54 am

I don’t know if I’d want to work at home with my husband! I like a break every now and then :)

Jen October 10, 2013 at 10:18 am

Drooling…this is on my list for sometime in the next two weeks.

Mom October 10, 2013 at 10:04 am

This will add another variation to the many beef stir fry dishes I make. All I need is some oranges and I’ll be ready to go.

Amy @ Elephant Eats October 10, 2013 at 7:10 am

Aw, that’s so sweet that you get to take a walk together in the morning :) I wish I could work from home. Anyway, this meal looks really great…i hate ordering chinese food cuz it’s always so greasy, so I love that now I can reproduce my husband’s fave meal at home!

Amy @Very Culinary October 10, 2013 at 8:47 am

YES. We stopped ordering Chinese take-out because afterward my stomach was always upset. None of that here!

Sandi October 10, 2013 at 7:03 am

You know hubby’s opinion of anything you make :) About those A’s….my beloved Pirates got their butts whopped last night :( Living in the DC area. I’m sure you can sense my frustrations, since most of our friends are employed by the Federal Govt. :( Thanks for sharing Amy!!!

Amy @Very Culinary October 10, 2013 at 8:45 am

Oh for sure! It’s so aggravating, but that’s a different story. The A’s series is tied 2/2, so tonight’s game will decided whether they move on *fingers crossed*

Melissa October 10, 2013 at 6:57 am

Yeah. Totally happening.

Amy @Very Culinary October 10, 2013 at 8:48 am

When I made it, I thought “Melissa is totally going to make this. And probably add red bell pepper.” LOL.

The Home Cook October 10, 2013 at 6:56 am

I cannot wait to make this!

Carrian October 10, 2013 at 6:10 am

This looks so amazing! I can’t wait to try this!