(Easy and Light) Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon

(Easy and Light) Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on October 30, 2013 · 34 comments

There are few things I won’t do for a runny egg.

Not quite sure if that makes my standards very high…or very low?

But regardless, I sort of weep for Eggs Benedict.

(Lighter) Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon | Very Culinary

It’s been my breakfast of choice when dining out, for.ever. And whenever I deviate from it, I regret it. I make it at home every once in a while, too.

Nothing beats a real rich and buttery hollandaise sauce, but this lighter version ain’t nothing to sneeze at considering how easy and fast it is. Plus, I think it’s half the calories, yet still full of delicious flavor.

I’ve made this four times now, and every time I just couldn’t stand to shoot off photos before shoveling it into my face. This last time, though, I took one for the team so I could finally share it here. Don’t say I never did anything for you ;-)

Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon
Makes 4

• 1/4 cup light sour cream
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
• 4 teaspoons skim milk
• 4 eggs
• 2 English muffins, split and toasted
• 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
• diced red onion
• diced scallions
• fresh ground black pepper

To make the sauce: in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, lemon juice, mustard, and milk. Set aside.

Lightly grease a deep, large nonstick sauté pan with vegetable oil; fill pan halfway with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Break one egg into a measuring cup; carefully slide egg into the water, holding lip of the cup as close to the water as possible. (Repeat with remaining eggs, allowing a decent amount of space in between each one.) Simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until whites are set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Use a slotted spoon to remove eggs.

Top muffin halves with smoked salmon and a poached egg. Spoon sauce over the top and sprinkle with red onion, scallions, and black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

(slightly adapted from Good & Fresh Magazine)

Josie - Frozen Yogurt Las Vegas October 31, 2013 at 11:53 pm

My breakfast is ready now. Want to eat. Made such an amazing recipe and shared with us. So glad to find your blog. Keep sharing such recipes. Thank you.

Amy @Very Culinary November 1, 2013 at 6:39 am

I’m so glad, thank you!

Mom October 31, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I’m practically drooling looking at this mouth-watering photo! Can’t wait to try this lightened hollandaise sauce.

Amy @Very Culinary November 1, 2013 at 6:39 am

I knew you’d love this one!

Stephanie October 31, 2013 at 10:12 am

I really love the idea of lightening up benedict. This isn’t my favorite breakfast in the world, but I do get it while out sometimes just because it’s something we never make at home. With this easier, lighter version though, I may have an excuse! :)

Amy @Very Culinary October 31, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Even this lighter version will feel like a special treat!

Julie October 31, 2013 at 5:04 am

So, if 27 years ago, I had this recipe in my arsenal, my husband would not have waited 6 months to marry me (because that was such a long time to know each other before getting married). Truly, he would do anything for this breakfast. I’m actually thinking of keeping it until our anniversary. The man is crazy for smoked salmon and both of us love our runny eggs. Don’t even try to serve me an egg with even a little bit of solid yellow. That makes me sad. Bookmarked and now to remember this by our anniversary.

Amy @Very Culinary October 31, 2013 at 12:12 pm

After I found out Paul’s love for all things Dill, I bought him an entire case of Dill Pickle Potato Chips. I think if he had a ring, he would have proposed right then.

We moved in together just months after meeting. This, of course, is a fine story to tell because we just celebrated 9 years of marriage…had it ended badly, that would not be a good story!

Julie October 31, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Ha ha! Seriously, Jerry walked into our family carpet store the very end of October, we went out for our first date the first of November, and got married the following May 3rd. Oh, and he lived in NC (82nd Airborne) while I stayed in Indiana. No cell phones, no computers, no Skype–just a pay phone on his end (when he could find one that the soldiers hadn’t destroyed) and hand written letters. A trip there over New Years (when we got engaged), a trip in February, April and then married in May. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone, but it worked for us. And, he didn’t even know I could cook. Don’t want to have them marry you primarily for your skills, you know. Got to keep something a secret. ;)

Amy @Very Culinary November 1, 2013 at 6:38 am

That’s a great story! Except for the no phones, no computers, and no skype…that part made me cry ;-)

ayna October 31, 2013 at 1:49 am

this is mouth watering…. looks yummy!

Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out October 30, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Here’s how I imagine a real hollandaise adventure would go in my kitchen:

*Cats meowing in the background, going batshit crazy over the butter situation happening*

*whisk whisk whisk whisk whisk* *pour pour pour* *whisk whisk whisk*

*knocks over bowl*

*bangs head against wall*

Thanks for saving me a headache and a mess. ;-)

Amy @Very Culinary October 30, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I would argue that a true hollandaise sauce would still be worth all that. But, you’re welcome. I am so here for you!

Joanne October 30, 2013 at 4:36 pm

You and I are very very similar in this regard. The fact that the.boy doesn’t like runny yolks has ruined my meal on many occasions. I need to make these for lunch when he’s not home. They will positively make my day.

Erin | The Law Student's Wife October 30, 2013 at 11:42 am

I adore eggs benny but refused to make hollandaise at home because it seemed to heavy/complicated–something only meant to be eaten out. I LOVE your lighter, healthier, easier version. Done!

Amy @Very Culinary October 30, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I used to think that too, Erin! Until I tried making it at home. It’s really not difficult at all…it’s just the timing of it with the rest of the food. And knowing how to recover if it “breaks.” Regardless, yes, this lighter/mock version is way easier!

Dani H October 30, 2013 at 11:16 am

I’ve never been one for poached eggs, so I’ve never had eggs benedict…. this sounds so good that I think I’ll have to try it. {smile}

Hope all is well with you and the family, Amy. *HUGS*

Amy @Very Culinary October 30, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Hi Dani! I think you either love runny eggs, or not. There’s no in between. Hope you’re well, too! <3

ela@...it's better when I make it myself. October 30, 2013 at 10:40 am

Never done it, but I bet I would love it. Thanks for the idea!

Amy @Very Culinary October 30, 2013 at 10:50 am

If you like a runny egg, you will love this! Truth.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious October 30, 2013 at 10:37 am

Best breakfast combo ever!

Amy @Very Culinary October 30, 2013 at 10:49 am

*high five* !

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain October 30, 2013 at 9:08 am

This is my favorite way to eat breakfast! Eggs and salmon? love, love, love!!!

Amy @Very Culinary October 30, 2013 at 9:23 am

Me too! Me too! Thank you, Lauren! :D

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl October 30, 2013 at 8:10 am

I wish I had this to eat for lunch!

Amy @Very Culinary October 30, 2013 at 8:32 am

It could happen! I ate this 4 days in a row. True story.

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste October 30, 2013 at 7:25 am

Eggs Benedict is my go-to breakfast indulgence, and your recipe looks fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing!

Amy @Very Culinary October 30, 2013 at 8:30 am

Thanks Kelly!

Andrea October 30, 2013 at 7:24 am

I just started eating Eggs Benedict and smoked salmon this last year or so. Tastes sometimes come later in life, I guess. I like runny egg over Chipotle Sweet Potato Hash. Yow.

Amy @Very Culinary October 30, 2013 at 8:30 am

I grew up on runny eggs…my mom called them “dip-it-in-eggs”, so I affectionately do, too. I love them on toast, or roasted tomatoes, and absolutely over potatoes. I’m an equal opportunity poached egg lover ;-)

Jen October 30, 2013 at 8:50 am

OMG. I completely forgot that Mom called them “dip-it-in eggs”. Love that.

Amy @Very Culinary October 30, 2013 at 9:06 am

I refer to them like that all the time and people always look at me strangely, not understanding. I guess it’s like saying “poolkie” (sp?) instead of “leg”…

Dad October 30, 2013 at 6:20 am

Amy, it has half the calories of two Eggs Benedict, but a nice attempt at rationalization. It’s 5:20 AM. All of a sudden I have a craving. Eggs and bacon. Benedict has left the building.

Amy @Very Culinary October 30, 2013 at 8:27 am

Haha. I still think it’s 1/2. Or that’s what I need to tell myself since I can’t stop eating this…