Onion Bagel and Bacon Stuffing (for Thanksgivukkah)

Onion Bagel and Bacon Stuffing | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on November 4, 2013 · 29 comments

Disclaimer #1: I know there are a few different ways to spell Hanukkah. <<< I spell it that way.
Disclaimer #2: I know a lot of Jewish families would never consider eating bacon (or any pork) on Hanukkah. I am not one of them.
Disclaimer #3: I know that, technically, this is dressing and not stuffing, but I grew up calling it stuffing and old habits die hard.

Ok. Whew.

Thanksgivukkah. Hm. Doesn’t quite have the same ring to it as Christmukkah, does it?

Onion Bagel and Bacon Stuffing | Very Culinary

Those of you who don’t celebrate Hanukkah, probably don’t know (or care) that Hanukkah (which always occurs at a different time each year, but always in December), begins on the same day as Thanksgiving this year. SAY WHAT? Ya. Well. The Jewish calendar is cuckoo. Thank goodness the next time the two holidays crossover isn’t for another 70,000 years. Not my problem.

Now, if you do celebrate Hanukkah, and are troubled as to what you should make (and avoid two completely separate meals, leaving you in the kitchen for three weeks), Stefani from Cupcake Project got a bunch of us together and created a menu for you. Kill two birds with one stone! (God, that’s an awful idiom…)

I made stuffing. (Or dressing…see Disclaimer #3 above ^^^)

Onion Bagel and Bacon Stuffing | Very Culinary

If you don’t want to make this for either holiday, it’s worthy of a Sunday brunch!

Onion Bagel and Bacon Stuffing

• 3-4 large onion bagels (about 6 cups), cut into bite-sized pieces
• 12 slices bacon (12 ounces), diced medium
• 1 medium red onion, diced small
• 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 eggs
• salt and pepper
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preheat oven to 350. Coat a shallow 2 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

Spread the bagel pieces on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for 20 minutes. Let cool. Increase oven temperature to 375.

While the bagel pieces are toasting, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often until crispy, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate, lined with a paper towel. Add the onion to the pan with the bacon drippings and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.

In a large bowl, whisk together the broth and eggs; season with salt and pepper. Add the bagel pieces, bacon, onion, and parsley; toss to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Transfer mixture to the baking dish and bake until top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.

(slightly adapted from Rachel Ray)

Print this recipe

Thanksgivukkah Menu | Very Culinary

Check out what everyone else made!

Thanksgivukkah Tzimmes (Tsimis) Pie from Parade Magazine

Potato Latkes Topped with Turkey and Cranberry Chutney from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen

Chocolate Cranberry Cake with Gelt Glaze from What Jew Wanna Eat

Candied Sweet Potato Latkes from Everyday Maven

Butternut Squash Puree with Honey and Smoked Paprika from The Lemon Bowl

Sweet Potato Noodle Kugel from Rhubarb and Honey

Pumpkin-glazed Cronuts from MotherWouldKnow

Flamingo’s Mulled Wine Cocktail – Hot & Cold from Flamingo Musings

Thanksgivukkah Decorating from Sucre Shop

Sweet Potato Pie Doughnut Holes from Cooking for Luv

Challah Cranberry Doughnuts from Food is my Love Language

Challah Stuffing with Turkey Sausage, Leeks and Cherries from The Little Ferraro Kitchen

Pumpkin Cranberry Maple Kugel from Farm Fresh Feasts

Pumpkin Challah from Labna.it

Thanksgivukah Pumpkin Tsimmes from {fork & swoon}

Turkey and Sweet Potato Latkes from FoodieTots

Homemade Manischewitz-flavored Marshmallows from Cupcake Project

Stephanie November 6, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Billy’s family has had and used the same stuffing (also dressing, but, like you, I grew up calling it stuffing) recipe for ages. Which is delicious, don’t get me wrong, but it takes the fun out of trying new stuffing recipes each year if we so desired. This one would definitely be on my list — I love the idea of using onion bagels as the bread! I’ll have to find a reason to make stuffing another time.

Amy @Very Culinary November 6, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I think changing the stuffing is a big stretch for most people. Even at our house, everyone wants my mom’s and my BILs family brings their own because of what they grew up with. It’s crazy. Make this for a weekend brunch!

stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out November 5, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I’m coming to have Thanksgivukkah with you. And I’m super not Jewish. I’m mostly in it for the bacon and onion bagels.

Julie November 5, 2013 at 6:58 am

I’ve been looking for a Thanksgivukkah dressing recipe and I think I have finally found it. My husband shares your thoughts on “it’s okay to have bacon on Hanukkah” :) I can’t wait to make this! Thank you :)

Amy @Very Culinary November 5, 2013 at 7:24 am

Awesome, I hope you like it!

Kirsten November 4, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Amy,
The flavors sound so good together I’d want this again before another 78K years pass.
I love bagels and have to sneak them now that the kids are in braces–so I only get one or two at a time and never have any leftover bagels.
I think I need to remedy that situation pretty quick.
Thanks!

Joanne November 4, 2013 at 5:15 pm

It’s a good thing you guys decided to come up with this fusion dinner because two multi-course meals in ONE DAY?! That’s a recipe for a nervous breakdown. Or a carb-fest. Or both.

rachel @ Baked by Rachel November 4, 2013 at 4:34 pm

what?!?! this is genius

Amy @Very Culinary November 4, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Haha. That was pretty much my reaction when I saw the idea in Rachel Ray!

Alyssa (Everyday Maven) November 4, 2013 at 4:00 pm

We eat bacon as well but I think if I served it at Hanukkah, my parents would have a fit lol! Love the flavors here with the onion bagels!

Renée J. (RJ Flamingo) November 4, 2013 at 1:18 pm

While I would not personally use the bacon in this, I get the direction you’ve taken this stuffing/dressing. I can work around it. ;)

Jennie Schacht November 4, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Ha! My wife is always laughing because we Jews can never spell or sing anything the same way. (There are reasons for that, by the way. Transliteration for one. And we’ve lived all over the world in many different cultures.) In any case, I call it stuffing too!

Amy @Very Culinary November 4, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Oh yes, and I’m sure that Chanukkah is actually the more authentic way to spell it and then we Americans bastardized it. But that’s how I grew up spelling it, soooo.

Paul, who’s Catholic, has great fun teasing my entire family with, what he considers “made up words”, and challenging us to find them somewhere in a Dictionary. We can’t. But they’re real, I swear!

Colleen November 4, 2013 at 9:46 am

I finally mastered spelling Hanukkah, now I have to triple check every time I write Thanksgivukkah! This sounds amazing — thankfully we’re only half-Jewish and not kosher, so bacon is fair game. :)

Amy @Very Culinary November 4, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Right??? I’m a purebred, but not kosher. And my family is very relaxed about it all. They sort of have to be considering I married a Catholic!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie November 4, 2013 at 9:27 am

I love bagels and therefore am very excited to see this stuffing using them!

Stef November 4, 2013 at 9:27 am

Love all of your disclaimers. You crack me up! Great looking recipe too! So glad that you joined the potluck! :)

Samantha @FerraroKitchen November 4, 2013 at 8:40 am

<—Jew that loves pork! I think there's a short that says that, and I want it!

Amy @Very Culinary November 4, 2013 at 9:15 am

Hahaha. Awesome. I’m right there with you!

Melissa November 4, 2013 at 8:32 am

That’s actually brilliant – use seasoned bagels as the bread base for your stuffing. Love it!

Amy @Very Culinary November 4, 2013 at 9:16 am

Coming from the gal who’s weakness is bagels! Isn’t it, though?! I knew you’d love this. And I bet almost any bagel would work, I just have a love for the onion variety :D

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat November 4, 2013 at 8:01 am

Love the idea of using bagels! I also spell it Hanukkah, call it stuffing and eat bacon (shhh!)

Amy @Very Culinary November 4, 2013 at 9:14 am

*high five*!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen November 4, 2013 at 7:55 am

I want this in the worst way Amy!

Amy @Very Culinary November 4, 2013 at 9:15 am

It was really good! How could it not be with those ingredients, right? Thank you so much for sharing Katrina!

Carrian November 4, 2013 at 7:39 am

This looks so amazing! I will have to try it this holiday season!

Mom November 4, 2013 at 7:26 am

I had fun checking out all the links for this clever idea from your blogger friend Stefani. This was a great way to spend an early morning.

Amy @Very Culinary November 4, 2013 at 9:18 am

I think so many of us were upset the two holidays crossed over, this was a fun way to embrace it!

Ali @ Inspiralized November 4, 2013 at 6:48 am

I have no words… I just want to take a giant scoop out of this, it looks fantastic! !