Roasted Acorn Squash with Onion, Grapes, and Thyme

Roasted Acorn Squash with Onion, Grapes, and Thyme | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on November 11, 2013 · 23 comments

Some foods just wow you – bowl you over like a bunch of pins. BAM! Whoa, what just happened? Like, you’re so busy tasting it, you forget there are three other mouths to feed, waiting at the table. Like, you’re whisked off to some fantasyland. Like, you take the last bite and then cry a little inside.

And you know the food is going to bring you to your knees before you even take that first bite, just based on the list of ingredients. And it doesn’t disappoint at all. It’s everything you knew it would be.

And so you make it again. Four days in a row.

Roasted Acorn Squash with Onion, Grapes, and Thyme | Very Culinary

That’s this, friends.

No words. Just…make it. You must.

Roasted Acorn Squash with Onion, Grapes, and Thyme

• 2 acorn squashes (about 1 1/2 pounds each)
• 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
• Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 pound red grapes (about 3 cups)
• 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
• 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
• 1 cup Trader Joe’s Harvest Blend*
• 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squashes in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard.
Brush cut sides of squash halves with 1 teaspoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Place, cut sides down, on a rimmed baking sheet. Combine grapes, onion, and thyme in a bowl and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper; place around squash. Roast, stirring grape mixture once, until squash is tender and grape mixture is caramelized, 35 to 40 minutes. (If you notice that the onions are starting to burn, remove them from the oven and put on a plate; tent with foil to keep warm.)

While squash is cooking, combine your Harvest blend and broth in a small pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer; cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until al dente.

To serve, fill squash with grain and grape mixture.

*Note: spelt, wheat berries, barley, or other whole grain may be substituted for the Harvest Blend.

(adapted from Martha Stewart Living)

Print this recipe

Carrie December 5, 2014 at 7:18 am

Those roasted grapes!!! Love it.

Mom January 5, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Just made this for the second time, and it was as delicious as the first. The hardest part is cutting the squash in half, so this time, I cut off a small slice at the pointed end to get a foothold. Although still tough, it was a bit easier. I made two small, ate one half of one (kept other half for later) and froze the remaining squash. It should be just as good reheated.

Amy @Very Culinary January 6, 2014 at 6:12 am

I’ve been hounding OXO to develop an acorn or butternut squash tool. They have a tool for everything else! Still waiting…

Stephanie November 14, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I’m not typically a huge fan of winter squash, even though I always WISH I was. But man, this recipe sounds so delicious! I love the combo of ingredients. And they’re so beautiful!

Mom November 14, 2013 at 10:07 am

I’ve never made acorn squash before but decided to try this for a dinner guest. The hardest part was cutting the squash in half, but the end result looked just like your photo and was very tasty with the grapes and caramelized onions. This is definitely a keeper.

Amy @Very Culinary November 14, 2013 at 10:13 am

Yes, cutting an acorn squash is less than desirable, you need a really sharp knife and leverage, for sure. I didn’t think you’d ever get to this one because it would never fly with Dad, so I figured I would just make it next time you visit without him. I knew you’d love it!

Maria G. November 13, 2013 at 3:08 pm

My husband laughs at me but I enjoy the combination of salty and sweet flavors. Chicken with pineapple and duck with apples are my favorite dishes. This one looks so appetizing that I definitely should try to cook it.

Amy @Very Culinary November 13, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Oh, really? Sweet and salty are a perfect balance for a lot of foods – pork with most fruit is delicious, as is oranges with beef. Chicken and pineapple totally work. He’s missing out!

Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out November 12, 2013 at 7:15 pm

There is absolutely no way I could convince my weirdo fruit-hating, squash-suspicious boyfriend to eat this…WHICH MEANS MORE FOR ME. #score

Amy @Very Culinary November 12, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Paul wouldn’t eat this either! He’s the best eater, ever. But not a fan of squash, artichokes, and olives. 3 things I love. I barely know him.

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate November 12, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I have a batch of grapes just sitting in my fridge because they are too bitter to eat raw. I think I may have to roast them off like this!

Amy @Very Culinary November 12, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Oh, most definitely…roasting them makes them so sweet and extra delicious!

Joanne November 11, 2013 at 7:06 pm

If you made this four nights in a row even with Paul not really liking squash that much..it’s a MUST make for me!! It’s so rare to see grapes and squash paired together but they’re kind of in season at the same time…so it totally makes sense!

Amy @Very Culinary November 11, 2013 at 7:18 pm

The grapes are seriously what take this dish from 10 to off the charts. They’re just amazing, I swear.

As for Paul, he in NYC all last week for work. I made it for lunch every day….glorious bite after bite. He would never eat this! Ha.

Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily November 11, 2013 at 4:58 pm

You crack me up! New favorite blog! So glad to find creative recipes like this and a good read. Pinned & making this ASAP!
OXOX

Amy @Very Culinary November 11, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Oh yay! *claps hands* Thanks, Gwen! Happy to have you here :D

Amy (Savory Moments) November 11, 2013 at 3:57 pm

What a great idea to use grapes in the stuffing for the squash – very seasonal and I bet very delicious, too!

Julie November 11, 2013 at 6:48 am

Yay! Ok. I’m glad that you listed a substitute for the Trader Joe’s ingredient, because we don’t have a TJ in central Illinois. I know, I know. Caterpillar should have thought this out when they started the company here. But, it’s God-forsaken central IL without a TJ. Somehow, we muddle through. Meanwhile, I’m trucking up the road to Sue’s house and buy that big butt bag of acorn squash.

Amy @Very Culinary November 11, 2013 at 10:31 am

I love the Trader Joe’s Harvest blend, but I’m not really close to one of their stores either, so going there is like an event. I actually buy it online! http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Harvest-Grains-Blend/dp/B0082H01KM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384190979&sr=8-4&keywords=trader+joes+harvest+blend

Julie November 11, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Oh, I did not know you could buy online! This opens up a whole new aspect of shopping. By the way-no humongous sack of squash, but what she had was free! So, I came home with a grocery sack full. :) I’m ready to bake those babies up.

Amy @Very Culinary November 11, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Free is the best! My parents used to have a pomegranate tree. Loved not having to pay for those…they’re expensive!

Aggie November 11, 2013 at 6:24 am

I love stuffing acorn squash! The grapes sound so interesting, I’ve been wanting to roast grapes after seeing it that way in a couple recipes. This looks delicious!

Amy @Very Culinary November 11, 2013 at 10:28 am

About a year ago, I roasted grapes with thyme and put them on grilled bread with homemade ricotta. Blew my mind! I’ve been a huge fan ever since.