Fig Balsamic Olives

Fig Balsamic Olives from Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on November 25, 2013 · 15 comments

So, I might have confessed last week on Facebook that I ate an entire can of olives. The truth is…I ate 2 cans of olives.

In my defense, they were smothered and cooked in fig jam and balsamic vinegar. (Not such a weirdo anymore, huh?!)

Fig Balsamic Olives from Very Culinary

Since I’m the only one in my house who likes olives, I made this little side dish while the kids were in school and Paul had a meeting, and I figured anything left over, I’d just eat the next day.

That didn’t happen.

I ate so many out of the pan, I barely had enough to put in a bowl for pictures. That picture there ^^^? That’s a tiny bowl, my friends.

These were fantastically good.

Fig Balsamic Olives

• 1/4 cup red wine
• 2 tablespoons fig jam
• 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 2 (6 ounce) cans extra large black olives, well drained
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
• 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest

In a small bowl, whisk together the wine, jam, and vinegar. Set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the olives and garlic; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the wine mixture; cook for 2 more minutes or until the excess liquid has cooked off.

Remove from heat and stir in the rosemary and orange zest. Serve warm.

Print this recipe

fr December 24, 2013 at 7:25 am

This is fantastic. Any substitutions for the alcohol as I have a no-alcohol diet..?

Amy @Very Culinary December 24, 2013 at 7:31 am

Grape, pomegranate, or cranberry juice are commonly used as replacements for red wine, so you could try those. Good luck!

Sarah & Arkadi November 29, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Great olives! Love them!

Juls November 26, 2013 at 8:51 am

Every holiday there is a can of black olives…JUST FOR ME! After I’ve had a drink or two I will pop them on my fingers and eat them just like I did when I was a kid!

Jen @ Savory Simple November 26, 2013 at 6:28 am

No judgement here, I can do some serious damage to a jar of olives! These look incredible.

Joanne November 25, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I can never open up a can of olives without eating the whole thing. Cover them in fig jam…and I’d probably eat the whole thing and then immediately head to the store to buy more.

Carla November 25, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Oh I SO could eat a whole can of olives! I love balsamic, so I can’t wait to try these.

Catherine November 25, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I am going to try this for Christmas at my sister-i n-laws I need to bring an appitizer this will be the on. yummy looking. Thank-you for another great recipe.
Catherine

Amy @Very Culinary November 25, 2013 at 4:50 pm

It’s really easy and perfect for a Christmas app. Hope you like it!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife November 25, 2013 at 7:43 am

I am an olive FIEND Amy. We’re having a Christmas party, and I’ve been keeping my eye out for easy apps. Pinned!

Amy @Very Culinary November 25, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Me too, Erin! I loved this so much. I’m tripling the recipe for Thanksgiving. Not quite sure what everyone else is getting. *snort*

Happy Valley Chow November 25, 2013 at 7:34 am

What a fantastic recipe, perfect for a side appetizer. Thanks for sharing :)

Happy Blogging!

Amy @Very Culinary November 25, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Thanks!

Julie November 25, 2013 at 6:09 am

I’m not an olive person, but boy-oh-boy, my hubby and brothers practically get into a brawl over who gets the last olive. I thought Jerry was going to have some type of fit when he saw the vats of olives in Spain. Several of my nieces feel the same way. They are always gone before we even sit down to dinner. However, these almost make me want to try them. :) I think I’ll send this to my sister in law. I wonder if Stephie’s fig butter would work as a substitute for the fig jam? Have a great Monday. P.S. I was all sad about not winning the money, but I did win a cookbook, so I was very excited about that. It doesn’t take much for me.

Amy @Very Culinary November 25, 2013 at 4:48 pm

My love for olives goes waaaay back to when I was a kid and we would make finger puppets with them at Thanksgiving. Everyone does that, right? But I definitely believe you either love them or hate them – there’s not really an in between.

I wish I had $500 to give to everyone. Hell, I wish I had $500 to give to myself! Ha. The gal, Jackie, who did win the money, was super appreciative and excited. Which was SO refreshing. Can’t tell you how many items I’ve given away where the recipient seems less than enthused. :/ I get excited if I find $1.00 in a coat pocket, so I don’t get it…