Top 15 Reader Favorites for 2013

Top 15 Reader Favorites for 2013 | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on December 28, 2013 · 22 comments

Another year of great food is over. I can’t believe how fast it goes by!

Thank you for coming to my small space here on the interweb. It brings me immense joy that you all spend time here and love making my recipes.

According to my analytics, these were the most popular posts for 2013. And I totally understand.

Valentines Day Peek A Boo Pound Cake – I made this for Haley’s birthday, which just happens to be right before Valentine’s Day. But customizable for any holiday, really. And super cute!

Valentine's Day Peek-A-Boo Pound Cake slice

Back to School Lunchbox - keeping things real with simple and realistic lunchbox ideas for your kids. Because most of us are not Martha Stewart.

Back-To-School Lunch Ideas | Very Culinary

(Copycat) Chipotle Steak Burrito – Chipotle is really the only fast food I ever truly crave. Badly. In the 12 years I’ve been going there, I always get the same exact thing. This burrito. So I decided to see if I could replicate it at home. Pretty damn close, friends. And certainly fantastic.

(Copycat) Chipotle's Steak Burrito | Very Culinary

Easy Cashew Chicken – this super easy recipe is a standard in our house and one of my favorite one-pot dishes. It’s now been replicated around the blogosphere :)

Easy Cashew Chicken | Very Culinary

Grilled Fish Tacos with Chili Lime Slaw – the simple spice rub and crunchy kicked-up coleslaw, along with soft, flavorful corn tortillas, balanced out perfectly with a mellow white fish. These are awesome!

Grilled Fish Tacos with Chili-Lime Slaw | Very Culinary

Crock Pot Apple Kielbasas Bites – only 5 ingredients and 10 minutes of prep required here. Juicy pieces of kielbasa bites that practically melt in your mouth from slow cooking all day. So good.

Crock Pot Apple Kielbasa Bites

Skittles Marshmallow Pops – these little treats are super easy and can easily be altered to accommodate your kids’ favorite color. Unless it’s black…there are no black skittles. That’s not part of the rainbow.

Skittles Marshmallow Pops | Very Culinary

Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage – all clean eating here, with fresh ingredients and nothing from a can. Set it and forget it and come home to a fully balanced, delicious meal.

Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

French Toast Roll Ups – french toast filled with your favorite spread and rolled up. The innards are all gooey and the outside is slightly crunchy. It all just melts in your mouth!

(Filled) French Toast Roll Ups | Very Culinary

Kahlua Coffee Poke Cake – this has been my go to brunch dessert for years. The icing sinks into all the holes and creates a rich, moist, and coffee flavored chocolate cake. Seriously delish. I’ve declared it the original poke cake!

Kahlua Coffee Poke Cake | Very Culinary

Cornbread Hamburger Pie – sloppy joes and cornbread come together in this super easy, super tasty, quick, one pan, inexpensive, dish.

Cornbread Hamburger Pie | Very Culinary

Lemony Herb Tuna Melts with Fontina – tuna and herbs combined with tangy lemon, with crispy bread and gooey cheese. Omg. I know.

Lemony Herb Tuna Melts with Fontina | Very Culinary

Layered Greek Dip – hummus, feta, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, and a chip used to scoop it all up. I feel ya.

Layered Greek Dip | Very Culinary

Pineapple Nilla Dip – hard to go wrong when cream cheese and powdered sugar are involved!

Pineapple Nilla Dip

Strawberries and Cream Smoothie – 4 ingredients. 5 minutes. Pure deliciousness. This is dreamy and perfect for any strawberry lover, like my son.

Strawberries and Cream Smoothie | Very Culinary

Coming up tomorrow are my picks for 2013!

Carolyn January 1, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Amy, that Heart Peekaboo pound cake is astonishing! I am blown away by that.

Amy @Very Culinary January 1, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Thank you, Carolyn! I remember how giddy I was after I made it the first time, and it came out. I’ve since made it a few more times with different shapes/colors. I just love it.

Dani H January 1, 2014 at 3:33 am

The Valentines Day Peek A Boo Pound Cake is just toooo cute! If I had any corned beef, I’d be tossing it in the crockpot right now!

Happy New Year to you and all your family, Amy! *Big Hugs*

Amy @Very Culinary January 1, 2014 at 9:28 am

Happy New Year, Dani!

Carla December 30, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Yup I remember some of these recipes! Your Skittles Marshmallows is what first brought me to your site (Kristen of Dine and Dish featured them) then your heart loaf because I was fascinated on how you made it. Happy New Year, Amy!

Amy@Very Culinary December 30, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I didn’t know that’s how you found me! What’s funny is, that’s how I found Kristen! I love our blogging community :D Happy New Year to you, too!

Chrissy December 30, 2013 at 2:08 pm

That Cashew Chicken looks amazing! Adding it to our menu for next week. Happy New Year!

Amy @Very Culinary December 30, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Oh yay, enjoy! And Happy New Year to you, as well!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel December 30, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I’m still head over heels in love with that peek a boo cake. It’s seriously so cute!

Amy @Very Culinary December 30, 2013 at 3:07 pm

You would rock that cake, Rachel!

Karen (Back Road Journal) December 29, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I think it is always fun to look back at the end of the year to see what people enjoyed. I can certainly see why these would be favorites. Your Valentines day cake is terrific!

Amy@Very Culinary December 29, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Thank you, Karen! It really is fun to see what was most popular, and especially to compare it to how much I loved certain recipes. My readers have great taste!

TidyMom December 29, 2013 at 12:06 pm

yum! Lots of great recipes! I know my daughter will love when I show her the cashew chicken!! adding that to our must make list!!

Happy New Year

Amy@Very Culinary December 29, 2013 at 8:04 pm

The cashew chicken is a standard in our house, requested often! Thanks, Cheryl – Happy New Year to you, as well!

Joanne December 29, 2013 at 6:38 am

I must re-pin some of these so I can remember to make them all over again! Top on the list is definitely that poke cake!

Amy@Very Culinary December 29, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Do it! I have deemed it appropriate for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, so you have no excuse ;-)

KB December 28, 2013 at 12:15 pm

As someone who has made the Chocolate Kahlua Poke Cakes…anyone who hasn’t made it, MAKE. IT. NOW. Good grief, it’s just about the best thing ever. It’s rich and it’s moist and it’s incredible. Every bite is pure devilish chocolatey love. Amy, you are my hero for that one. :)

Amy @Very Culinary December 28, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Hi KB – so glad it was a hit for you! I just love it. It’s been my go-to cake for brunches and get-togethers for ages. I’m always asked for the recipe :)

Mom December 28, 2013 at 11:36 am

This post reminded me of some of the ones I’ve made and need to make again and those that are still in my “to do” folder. How can my mouth be watering when I’m still so full from all the delicious holiday meals!!?

Amy @Very Culinary December 28, 2013 at 3:46 pm

It actually reminded me that I need to make them all again, too!

Julie December 28, 2013 at 7:02 am

Yum! Well, I’m waddling from my Christmas overeating. Might as well continue for the rest of the year, right? Corned beef and cabbage is ALWAYS our dinner for New Year’s Day. Plus, black-eyed peas and cornbread. You see, I am from a mixed family–half from the north and half from the south. For good luck (Yankees) eat the corned beef and cabbage. For good luck (southerners) eat the black-eyed peas. Strange meal, but we love it. These mixed families are weird. Thankfully, my poor husband just goes along with it (plus, he just loves all food). Have a fabulous new year!

Amy @Very Culinary December 28, 2013 at 8:35 am

I don’t know if you read the original post, but both my sister and I married Irish men and neither of them like corned beef and cabbage. What are the odds?! I think it’s delicious. And I love black-eyed peas. One of my favorite salads is Texas Caviar. Cheers to weird!