Shrimp Cocktail with Garlic Mustard Cream

Shrimp Cocktail with Garlic Mustard Cream from Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on January 7, 2014 · 30 comments

This recipe was developed by me for STAR Fine Foods. All opinions are 100% my own – I love their products and use them all the time!

It’s funny how some foods conjure up certain memories.

Back in grade-school, my friend Heather and I would race back to her house after our last class and watch soap operas. (Remember when they were good? Or, we thought they were good. Lol. Hey, when you’re 14 years old, skipping school to watch Bo and Hope get married seemed totally justified.)

Anyway, I would raid the fridge and make myself a tunafish sandwich. Always with pickle relish, and always with mayonnaise. She would cringe – the same way my Dad looks mortified when I spread it on a hot dog.

Heather and I are still friends 30+ years later, I still love mayo, and I always think of her when I use it. Which is all the time. I put it on everything!

I pretty much love this cocktail cream sauce (or is it a spread? Dip? – let’s just call it delicious) I made using the new line of STAR Fine Foods cooking oils with olive oil. There are four varieties, all infused with unique flavors to enhance specific types of dishes.

Shrimp Cocktail with Garlic Mustard Cream | Very Culinary

First up is the STAR Grilling oil that has a garlic flavor. I tested it out on some grilled shrimp and it was great! I also used it in this cocktail cream sauce – only half of which ended up on the shrimp…the other half I licked off my fingers. Don’t judge.

Shrimp Cocktail with Garlic Mustard Cream using STAR Fine Foods cooking oil infused with garlic flavor | Very Culinary

I had a bit of the cream sauce left over, which ended up on burgers. Omg. So good.

Don’t let the label “Grilling” dissuade you if you don’t have a grill! Obviously this condiment is proof it can be used for non-grilled foods. It would also be perfect on salads, in marinades, or for bread dipping. And you can bet I will be trying all of that!

The Garlic Cuisine Cooking Oil is available at Food City and the Kroger Family of Stores (Bakers, City Market, Dillons, Ralphs, Fry’s Food Stores, Fred Meyer, Gerbes, Owens, Pay-Less, Smith’s Food and Drug Stores, QFC and King Soopers) and online here. COMING SOON: Select Safeway/Vons stores.

Shrimp Cocktail with Garlic Mustard Cream
Makes approximately 1 cup
Prep time: 10 minutes + refrigeration

• 1 1/4 pounds peeled and deveined large raw shrimp, tails left on
• 2/3 cup mayonnaise
• 3 tablespoons STAR Garlic infused cooking oil
• 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
• 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
• salt and pepper

In a large pot fitted with a steamer basket, boil 2 inches of water. Place shrimp in the basket, cover and steam for about 3 minutes. Spread out on a baking sheet and refrigerate for a few hours or until cold.

In the meantime, mix the mayo, oil, mustard, and worcestershire together in a bowl; season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Enjoy with the cooked shrimp.

(adapted from Food Network)

Print this recipe Save this recipe

katie January 12, 2014 at 7:26 am

Yum! This sauce sound awesome. I love the non-traditional dipping sauce!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen January 9, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Whoa! Yes!! I could totally slather that sauce on just about anything :)

Amy @Very Culinary January 9, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Riiiight?? Yay!

Carla January 8, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Oh man I love shrimp and I love garlic! I’ll have to track down that STAR garlic oil. I would use it in everything (well, not sweets).

Amy @Very Culinary January 8, 2014 at 8:17 pm

No doubt! My bottle is almost empty. Sad Amy, sad :(

Jersey Girl Cooks January 8, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Hey, I watched Bo and Hope get married too…lol. Great recipe! I love shrimp and the flavored oil looks great.

Amy @Very Culinary January 8, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Hahaha. I think half the nation watched their wedding! It was a big deal back then :)

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures January 8, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I have always slathered condiments on my food! This garlic sauce looks slather worthy!

Amy @Very Culinary January 8, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Awesome! *high five*

Dani H January 8, 2014 at 2:06 am

I’m not much of a mayo person (I was raised on Miracle Whip)(as you say, don’t judge!) However, with the addition of the garlic-infused oil, mustard and worcestershire sauce, I think I’d like this! It’s never occurred to me to try shrimp cocktail with anything other than a catsup-horseradish-lemon cocktail sauce.
?

Amy @Very Culinary January 8, 2014 at 6:46 am

Ya, I think most people associate shrimp cocktail with the traditional red sauce, but this is a great alternative. I also think a Mexican chimichurri would be delicious. My eyes are wide open now!

Dani H January 9, 2014 at 1:09 am

My mouth is wide open now! {smile}

Joanne January 7, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I’ve been looovviinggg these oils. Sometimes I almost drink them. Like I might almost drink this garlic mustard cream dream.

Amy @Very Culinary January 7, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Lol. I said on IG today that I want to drink them. I’m sure some people thought that sounded gross, while others totally understood. The second grouping are my favorite people :)

Nikki @Seeded at the Table January 7, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Wow, this cream sauce sounds fantastic!! My family would always have shrimp cocktail for NYE growing up, but I can safely say this cream sauce instead of traditional cocktail sauce would be MUCH better.

Btw, my mom and I used to watch Guiding Light together some 15+ years ago. In fact, I ran into my crush actor while visiting NYC and was able to snatch a pic with him! ha!

Amy @Very Culinary January 7, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Thanks, Nikki! I didn’t realize shrimp cocktail was such traditional holiday fare, bur quite a few people have now mentioned this for Christmas and NYE. I was thinking Superbowl – not quite as elegant! Lol.

Guiding Light, Days of our Lives, All My Children, The Young and the Restless…I can’t believe how much I loved them. Are they all still on? Everyone has probably been brought back from the dead 5 times. HA.

Ray January 7, 2014 at 9:09 am

Sounds great! Of course you know there are mayo and mustard issues in my home, but maybe when I need to bring something to a pot luck…

Amy @Very Culinary January 7, 2014 at 11:04 am

Mayo, mustard, ….onions! *sadness* Yes, pot luck would be great. Superbowl is coming up. Just sayin…

Happy Valley Chow January 7, 2014 at 8:53 am

Love this recipe! The garlic mustard cream sauce sounds spectacular, sure you could use that in a lot of different recipes. Thanks for sharing :)

Amy @Very Culinary January 7, 2014 at 11:02 am

Thanks! It’s very versatile. Think of olive oil, infused with different flavors to enhance the other ingredients :)

Sue January 7, 2014 at 8:02 am

We’re mayo lovers, too. And shrimp. And burgers. LOL. Thinking I will make this for Superbowl Sunday!

Amy @Very Culinary January 7, 2014 at 11:01 am

YES! Absolutely perfect for Superbowl!

Tina January 7, 2014 at 7:47 am

Oh, that sounds wonderful! I love STAR products–will look for it at my local market, thank you!

Amy @Very Culinary January 7, 2014 at 11:00 am

Hi Tina! I updated the post to include where you can find this product. It’s worth hunting down!

Julie January 7, 2014 at 6:58 am

Shoot. We needed this over the holidays. My sister-in-law always gets us shrimp to snack on between meals (it’s embarrassing the amount of food we go through). My niece has recently been diagnosed with TONS of food allergies, one of which is any tomato products (read: ketchup), which was our cocktail sauce. Bless her heart. Anyway, we tried to figure out something for her to dip those shrimp in. Keeping this for next time.

Amy @Very Culinary January 7, 2014 at 10:59 am

A reader just the other day said she was allergic to tomatoes. I’ve never heard of that! I make shrimp cocktail a lot – it’s so easy. I used their Italian (basil infused) oil for another salsa-verde type dipping sauce and that was really good, too. See, options galore!

Julie January 7, 2014 at 11:30 am

Yep. Poor Liz. She’s allergic to all dairy products, almond milk, various spices like cinnamon, tomato products, gin, beer…the list goes on and on. I was texting Stephie the list and accidentally wrote “fun” instead of “gin”. Stephie’s response was that with a list like that, she was allergic to fun, too. :(

Amy @Very Culinary January 7, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Lol! Stephie FTW!

Stephie January 7, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Heh heh… ;-) But really. Let’s dip all the shrimpies! Mmmm, garlic.

pam (Sidewalk Shoes) January 7, 2014 at 5:15 am

I also love mayo! And I love sauces that can be used in about a zillion things like this one!