Kahlua-Hazelnut Chocolate Truffles

Kahlua-Hazelnut Chocolate Truffles on www.veryculinary.com

by Amy Flanigan on February 6, 2014 · 18 comments

Thank you all for the unbelievable kind words of support about Ginger. Every comment, every private email, every virtual hug – they all helped. Forgive me for not replying to each one individually. I just couldn’t do it through the tears.

To the outside world, Ginger dying was a lifetime ago. But in reality, it’s only been a week. The hardest part now is the constant reminder that both girls are gone – I’ll spill some food and they don’t come running. Or they aren’t at my feet when I make popcorn. Or the worst – every time I come home to silence. Sigh.

Kahlua-Hazelnut Chocolate Truffles on www.veryculinary.com

BUT. I’m slowly – very slowly – coming out of my fog. I made it through a whole 4 hours yesterday without crying! Small victories.

In an effort to stay occupied, I’ve baked more cookies in the past several days than I know what to do with. And I’ve also been self-soothing with chocolate. Goodness, what would the world be like without chocolate? *shudders*

Kahlua-Hazelnut Chocolate Truffles on www.veryculinary.com

I think I ate 10 of these. Maybe 11.

Kahlúa-Hazelnut Chocolate Truffles
Makes 20

• 5 ounces dark chocolate chips
• 3 tablespoons Nutella
• 2 1/2 tablespoons Kahlúa
• 1 tablespoon light-colored corn syrup
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• dash of salt
• 1/3 cup finely chopped toasted hazelnuts

In a medium-sized microwave safe bowl, combine all ingredients except the hazelnuts. Melt the mixture in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until combined and smooth. Stir in the chopped hazelnuts. Let cool for a minute or so.

Using a small cookie scoop, form single tablespoons of the mixture and knead with your hands until they stay together. Roll into balls.

Keep in an airtight container at room temperate for up to 2 days or refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.

(adapted from Cooking Light)

Print this recipe Save this recipe

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box by clicking on the “Save this recipe” link. Then, create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Stephanie February 18, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Oh Amy, you deserve to eat a whole batch (or 10) of these! Also…Y.U.M. Seriously. Nothing else to say.

Ray February 14, 2014 at 7:58 pm

We made the Kahlúa hazelnut chocolate truffles tonight. Modifications: some were rolled around a hazelnut. They were dusted in cocoa powder (although it was absorbed). But the kicker: we used hazelnut Kahlúa.

In a word: awesome.

Amy @Very Culinary February 14, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I didn’t know such a liquid existed! *thud*

Joanne February 8, 2014 at 10:50 am

One cannot mourn properly without chocolate, that’s for sure! I hope these helped you out, even a little. If anything was going to, this kahlua chocolate nutella combo was!

Tracy February 7, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I am crying right now after reading of your losses. I’ve been there many times over the years so I am sending you my love & support. I love your site & have repined some of your recipes. Thank you for those.

Amy @Very Culinary February 7, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Thank you, Tracy. I appreciate your kind words <3

Carla February 7, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Why do our babies have to go so soon? I think these truffles are a great way to cheer up. Love kahlua, chocolate, and hazelnut.

kristy @ the wicked noodle February 7, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Whaaaat??? These look a – ma – zing!! It doesn’t help that I’m craving something sweet but I’m certain that I would eat these anytime, day or night, cravings or not. YUM!

Stephanie-Oh February 7, 2014 at 10:00 am

I’m so very sorry for your losses. My husband and I lost our beloved Ozzie in August and it still hurts. It will get easier but grief is so individual! We still save pieces of meat on our plates for him. I still see him from the corner of my eye passing through the house, and we both look for him in front of the sliding doors when the sun is shining in (the warmest spot in the house!). But we miss him most on our walks. Such a sweet natured 14 y.o. “puppy”. He is irreplaceable to us. We will probably get a new addition to out family come summer but not to replace Ozzie but to be our new companion . Hopefully once you have grieved and are ready you will be able to think of having another companion. Blessings!

Amy @Very Culinary February 7, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Yes, their absence is heightened by the daily routine that no longer involves them. I’m having a particularly difficult time with that :(

Dani H February 6, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Ooooooh! We must have chocolate (and pie) to cope with life’s ups and downs.

Always sending you *Hugs*!

Happy Valley Chow February 6, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Those truffles look terrific! Great job :)

Christie February 6, 2014 at 6:43 pm

It is so hard to lose a loved one, even a furry one. My little Henry, cat, has been gone for 7 years but I still miss him. He was a cat that thought he was a dog. Glad making these truffles help. They sure sound delicious.

Amy @Very Culinary February 7, 2014 at 9:55 pm

I don’t think we ever stop missing them. Ever.

Melissa February 6, 2014 at 9:14 am

Beautiful post in every way. Thinking about you. xo

Amy @Very Culinary February 6, 2014 at 9:33 am

Thank you, my sweet friend. xo <3

Julie February 6, 2014 at 5:57 am

It does get easier, I guess. It was four years ago this upcoming Saturday that we lost our Heidi. We both still tear up when her picture pops up on our phone or something. But, like I’ve told Stephie, I’d rather be an animal lover than someone like my dad who would just as soon never have another one. Reason #143, 503 why my parents were incompatible. Chocolate is a great thing to have, and I think I need some of these just for sympathy eating. So, I’m headed out there right after work today (it’s warmer there. No one in their right mind wants to be here).

Amy @Very Culinary February 6, 2014 at 6:30 am

Oh yes. I wouldn’t trade the pain for never having them. I just wish the sadness was replaced with happy memories. I’m not there yet. So, I’m going to continue baking…and wishing you were here to help me eat it all.