Easy Fish Piccata with Roasted Asparagus

Easy Fish Piccata with Roasted Asparagus on www.veryculinary.com

by Amy Flanigan on March 3, 2014 · 23 comments

So you say you don’t like fish, huh? Well, I say it’s because you’ve never had good fish. And fish prepared in a delicious sauce (with butter, wine, and lemon. Hello!)

I feel ya. My mom is a wonderful cook, but I can’t say she mastered fish when I was growing up. Sorry, Mom. But throwing some salt and pepper on a piece of Orange Roughy and baking it isn’t exactly going to win a 16 year old over.

Easy Fish Piccata with Roasted Asparagus on www.veryculinary.com

This particular fish, Barramundi, has been applauded for its sustainability, farm-raised in Southeast Pacific waters using Smart Aquaculture methods. Well known in Southeast Asia, Australia, and New Zealand for awhile now, it’s gaining popularity in the U.S. by being known as “The Sustainable Sea Bass.” I think it’s becoming popular because it’s absolutely delicious!

Barramundi has a firm and meaty texture, but also buttery and delicate. Its extremely mild flavor makes it so versatile and great for every day dishes and cooking techniques, whether it be grilling, poaching, or searing. And Barramundi’s a superfood – no mercury, chemicals, or hormones. Its high in protein, containing only half the calories of Salmon, and has high levels of Omega-3s. Woot!

Now widely available across the U.S. at the fabulous Trader Joe’s in their frozen section.

Barramundi Packaging

If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s anywhere near you, don’t fret! Barramundi is also sold at Whole Foods, Stop & Shop, Safeway, and other retailers.

So, go get some and make this piccata. You won’t believe how elegant and delicious it is, and yet so easy to prepare!

(Disclosure: This post is sponsored via the NoshOn.It Publisher Partner Program by a leading barramundi producer. As always, opinions are my own.)

Easy Fish Piccata with Roasted Asparagus

• 1/2 pound asparagus, rinsed, tough ends chopped off
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 Barramundi fish fillets (about 4 ounces each), skinned removed
• salt and black pepper
• all-purpose flour
• nonstick spray
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup dry white wine
• 2 garlic gloves, minced
• 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon drained capers
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• fresh lemon slices
• chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Pat the asparagus spears dry and spread them out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil all over them and sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Roast for about 10 minutes, until tender, but still al dente.

In the meantime, season fillets with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour. Coat a saute pan with nonstick spray, add oil, and heat over medium-high. Saute fillets for about 2 minutes on one side; gently flip over and saute the other side for about 2 minutes until golden. Transfer fillets to a platter.

Deglaze pan with wine and add minced garlic. Cook until liquid is nearly evaporated, about 1-2 minutes. Add broth, lemon juice, and capers. Add in butter. Once butter melts, pour sauce over fillets. Garnish with lemon slices and chopped fresh parsley. Serve immediately.

(inspired by Cuisine at Home’s Chicken Piccata)

Print this recipe Save this recipe

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box by clicking on the “Save this recipe” link. Then, create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Carol Flynn August 26, 2014 at 3:34 pm

We are a seafood importing company. And we are introducing a major brand of Barramundi to the US. I was just curious if you might like your recipe (with credits, of course) to be included on our website.

Best
Carol Flynn

Geoff May 23, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Barramundi, white wine, capers, salt, butter and lemon juice. The combination of these are So yum Amy, thanks. I hope you saved a piece for me as I made a chocolate dessert especially.

Bonnie April 24, 2014 at 11:18 am

What other types of fish would be good in this dish?

Amy @Very Culinary April 24, 2014 at 11:55 am

Hi Bonnie – tilapia is a good substitution :)

Julie April 6, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Ok. I’m going to try and find this fish this week. I’m debating over this recipe or the one with fruit salsa. Probably this one, since decent fruit right now is iffy at best. Plus, Stephie said that it’s quite good. Psst…is a garlic glove anything special, or is that a garlic clove? Maybe things are different in CA than IL.

Amy @Very Culinary April 6, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I love them both, but definitely love this one more! It’s so buttery and full of flavor. But keep in mind, I adore fish and asparagus. And butter/wine/lemon are a match made in heaven. Hopefully you guys will enjoy it, too. Nothing special about the garlic. It’s just…garlic. O.o

Stephanie March 17, 2014 at 9:26 am

I don’t know why, but I never thought to prepare fish in a piccata sauce, which is kind of weird because all the flavors match so perfectly. Thanks, yet again, for the inspiration, friend!

Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes March 8, 2014 at 7:26 am

I’ve never had fish piccata. How is that possible? I love chicken piccata and I love fish, so I am sure I would love it! Beautiful photos.

Kathy - Panini Happy March 7, 2014 at 8:49 am

This looks wonderful! You’re right, you just need to cook fish right to make it good. :-) Lemon and capers — yum!

Aggie March 6, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I got lucky once and found barramundi at Costco, haven’t seen it since! I loved it. This dish looks delicious!!

susan March 6, 2014 at 12:38 am

It looks like a good recipe but I don’t eat any farm raised fish. You can read about it online, its very bad for the environment and is also very unhealthy for you also. There’s been a lot of scientific research done on farm raised fish, all you have to do is google it. I’ll try this recipe with wild natural fish. Thank you. Susan

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts March 4, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I need to try more fish recipes. I always have good intentions, but then never get around to it. This looks wonderful!

Joanne March 3, 2014 at 8:54 pm

My parents never even tried serving fish to us, which is perhaps why I thought I hated it for most of my life! I have seen Barramundi EVERYWHERE and haven’t yet bought it. But in this buttery lemony sauce…want.

Shawn @ I Wash You Dry March 3, 2014 at 4:52 pm

This looks fantastic!! YUM!

Rebecca {foodie with family} March 3, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I just happen to have two bags of frozen barramundi in my freezer and I am going to try this. I loveyloveylovelove capers!

Kim Beaulieuc March 3, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I adore fish. We grew up going fishing with my dad so I’m pretty adventurous when it comes to eating it. We have seafood allergies so we happily munch fish in lieu of seafood. This looks right up my alley. I’ve never had Barramundi, I’ll have to look around here to see if I can find it. Canada, no Trader Joe’s. I may have to move. I swear the states has way better shopping choices. I was lucky enough to visit TJ when in Philly, I was in awe. There’s nothing like it here.

Susan March 3, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I haven’t had barramundi but I love fish and especially making it your way. It’s my go to on a weeknight!

Angie March 3, 2014 at 10:44 am

Thanks for writing about this new fish, I can’t wait to try it! Hopefully they finish our trader joe’s soon!

Mom March 3, 2014 at 8:29 am

Guilty as charged! This looks so good, I can’t wait to get over to Trader Joe’s and buy the Barramundi.
Maybe Dad will even have a taste.

Amy @Very Culinary March 4, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Well, he’ll at least eat the asparagus :P

Anna @ Garnish with Lemon March 3, 2014 at 8:15 am

Mmmm…fish, butter, wine, lemon….who can say no to that?!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife March 3, 2014 at 7:58 am

mmmmm never tried Piccata with fish! I love it with chicken so I’m sure I’ll love it with fish!

Paula-bell'alimento March 3, 2014 at 7:14 am

I love all things piccata!