Shamrock Wonton Crackers

Shamrock Wonton Crackers on www.veryculinary.com

by Amy Flanigan on March 6, 2014 · 18 comments

Ok, friends. How many of you actually know the story behind Saint Patrick’s Day? I’ve been celebrating it my entire life (and by celebrating, I mean wearing green, making Corned Beef and Cabbage, and laughing at drunk jokes about the Irish), but really had absolutely no idea what this holiday is all about.

So I Googled it.

Originally a Roman Catholic feast day for Ireland’s patron saint dating before the 1600s, it came to America in the 1700’s. We, of course, put our own spin on it with a parade and pinching. Big shocker that was all U.S. – St. Patrick’s revelers believed that leprechauns and fairies would pinch them if they could see them. Wearing green made them invisible. So, peers started pinching those who abstained from wearing green as a warning.

According to some accounts, blue was originally the color associated with the holiday, but over time green became more popular due to Ireland’s nickname as “The Emerald Isle”, the green in the Irish flag, and the clover that St. Patrick used in his teachings about Catholicism.

And that concludes our history lesson for today. HA.

Maybe these wonton crackers will become tradition.

Shamrock Wonton Crackers on www.veryculinary.com

They’re salty, crunchy, and fun; perfect for an after school snack or lunchbox. Or midnight snack. What?

And thank goodness the color green was adopted by St. Patty’s Day, because blue pesto just wouldn’t be right.

Shamrock Wonton Crackers
Makes 60

• 1 package (12 ounce) square wonton wrappers
• 1/2 cup pesto
• salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Using a 2 1/2-inch shamrock cookie cutter, punch out shapes from each wonton wrapper. Place on the baking sheets; brush with pesto and sprinkle with a little salt.

Bake for about 8 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Let cool, then store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Print this recipe Save this recipe

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box by clicking on the “Save this recipe” link. Then, create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Stephanie March 17, 2014 at 9:34 am

What a fun idea! It’s amazing all the different things you can do with wonton wrappers. Can we pretend that the entire package made into these crackers is one serving?

Joanne March 8, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Mike’s birthday falls on St. Patrick’s Day this year, so I think this gives me an excuse to go ALL OUT CRAZY with the celebrations. This crackers are SO making an appearance.

Dani H March 7, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Yum! These would be good in any shape at any time!

laurasmess March 6, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Hello lovely Amy! I just thought I’d pop over to say ‘hi’ after reading your Friends First post on Stephie’s blog. Gorgeous recipes, stories and photos! So disappointed I didn’t find you earlier (but then again, now I have a huge archive of deliciousness to read through!). Love these shamrock crackers. I’ve never celebrated St Patricks but now I just might start… just so I can eat these with something appropriately green like guacamole (culture clash? Oh well. I am a hybrid Aussie after all!) xx

Amy @Very Culinary March 7, 2014 at 6:14 am

Here’s something I could have added to my list on Stephie’s: #11 I’m allergic to avocado, but still eat it. Because… guacamole. So ya, have at it, girl! I feel ya.

Kim Beaulieu March 6, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I’m Irish so I totally loved this. I’ll be wearing green, and eating these crackers on St Patrick’s Day.

Maggie Unzueta @ Mama Maggie's Kitchen March 6, 2014 at 5:44 pm

This is sooooo cool! I’m so happy it’s something festive and not sweet. :)

Susan March 6, 2014 at 1:41 pm

::::shudder:::: blue pesto. Thank you for the history lesson. May I have my treat now?

Paula - bell'alimento March 6, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Seriously cute!

foodwanderings March 6, 2014 at 8:40 am

I am literally salivating over these, YOU temptress!

Lora @cakeduchess March 6, 2014 at 8:35 am

These are soooo much fun, Amy! I love reading posts with history in them. My kids would love these crackers …got to make soon!!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen March 6, 2014 at 7:54 am

Such a fun and clever idea, Amy! And thanks for the history lesson….I’m Irish and sadly knew none of that.

Angie March 6, 2014 at 7:27 am

These crackers are the cutest! Perfection!

Caroline {TheBarbeeHousewife} March 6, 2014 at 6:30 am

Thanks for the history lesson, I didn’t know either! I love crispy wontons and pesto, so I can not wait to make these!

Julie March 6, 2014 at 5:47 am

But you love Irish descendants, right? Right? And guess what? I have some kale pesto in my freezer leftover from my pasta the other night. Get me some wonton wrappers this weekend,and I’m ready to roll. Well, I don’t have a shamrock cookie cutter, but a heart one might do. A green heart. Hmmm…sounds kind of grinchy-like. On another note, I’m on a high thinking about the next parody and that outfit. I’m seriously flashbacking to high school/college days. Yeah, I’m old. I’ve now gone from shamrocks to the grinch to the 70′s all in one paragraph. I’m done.

Amy @Very Culinary March 6, 2014 at 7:33 am

I must love Irish descendants – I married one! And FWIW, so did my sister. And neither one of them like cabbage. Weirdos.

Julie March 14, 2014 at 4:38 pm

So, I made these today to go along with our white chili. Fabulous!! I had bought this ginormous bag of kale the last time I made Stephie’s Tortellini, Kale, and White Bean Soup and had a ton leftover. So, I had made some kale pesto with her spinach kale pesto recipe and froze some of it. So, there it was, in the freezer yelling “Use me on the crackers” so I did. Oh, my! So good! And, we figured out that they are a grand total of 10 calories a cracker. Probably use that many calories munching on them. I used a cookie cutter on the first couple, and got bored, so I just halved the wonton and had two triangles. Worked just as well. Maybe not as cute, but it’s just us and we don’t care. :) Anyway, they were great! (Although, the beagles thought I was making their cookies. How disappointing for them. Beagle abuse.)

Amy @Very Culinary March 14, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Oh yay!! *claps hands wildly* They would also be super cute for Christmas, if you had a Christmas tree cookie cutter. But, yes, for non holidays (or if you don’t post recipes for a living *cough*) then no cookie cutter necessary. I’m so happy you made them!