Kielbasa and Cabbage Skillet

Kielbasa and Cabbage Skillet on www.veryculinary.com

by Amy Flanigan on March 11, 2014 · 36 comments

It’s Sunday and I’m sitting here at 5:22am typing. But it’s really 4:22. Well, no. Now it’s really 5:22. Ah, Daylight Savings Time. I understand the reasoning behind it, but just like so many things in our constitution, for example, times have changed, and so should some traditions. That’s one thing Arizona got right.

Blerg.

In other news. Yay spring!

It will be nice to have some sunlight longer, especially with the kids’ sports activities. And I can start thinking about my garden again. Our tiny nectarine tree that we planted last year has a lot of blossoms on it right now *claps hands excitedly* … and maybe we’ll start to see some action on our avocado bush, although I’m not as hopeful.

Kielbasa and Cabbage Skillet on www.veryculinary.com

I know cabbage is a winter vegetable, but technically spring doesn’t start until next week.

This one-pan skillet is great for Saint Patrick’s Day or just any weeknight dinner when you need something easy and fast.

Kielbasa and Cabbage Skillet on www.veryculinary.com

Paul’s not a fan of cabbage, but he seems to like tolerate it in this dish. Probably because it soaks up a lot of the rendered fat from the pork. Delicious!

Kielbasa and Cabbage Skillet

• 2 pounds fully cooked polska kielbasa, cut in half lengthwise, then cut into 2 inch pieces
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
• 1 large sweet onion, cut into large pieces
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon or brown grainy mustard

Heat olive oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high and add kielbasa. Cook, without stirring for 1 minute. Then stir occasionally for about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.

In the same pan with some of the rendered kielbasa fat, add the cabbage, onion, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for about 10 minutes. Mix in the vinegar and mustard; add the sausage back to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes to heat through. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.

Serve immediately on its own or over mashed potatoes.

(inspired by allrecipes)

Print this recipe Save this recipe

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box by clicking on the “Save this recipe” link. Then, create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Linda May 5, 2014 at 5:00 am

Loved this. The flavones are terrific.

Amy @Very Culinary May 5, 2014 at 11:01 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Linda!

Barbara May 2, 2014 at 6:35 am

I make a variation of this often for our family and cook farfalle and add to cabbage and kielbasi before serving mixing well. My family loves this one pot dinner!

Vicky April 30, 2014 at 4:44 pm

We really liked this with a slight adjustment. Since I was making it for two, I cut all the ingredients in half, but I had to add more rice wine vinegar, sugar, and mustard to get that European sweet sour taste. So basically, I halved the recipe and doubled the sauce. Perfect for a 48 dgr. day on April 30! I will certainly make again with my taste adaptions. I served with boiled and buttered potatoes. Thank you for sharing.

Vicky

Amy @Very Culinary April 30, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Hi Vicky! I’m so glad it worked out for you… we love this dish!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) March 30, 2014 at 9:27 pm

This was so easy and delicious. Thanks for the recipe! P.s. I hate day light savings!

Amy @Very Culinary March 31, 2014 at 6:22 am

So glad you enjoyed it!

Mary March 24, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I made this cabbage and sausage tonight. Easy and delicious—we loved it! I

I served it with beef consomme rice–easy too: (1 cup uncooked rice, 1 can beef consomme, 1 soup can water, 1/2 stick melted butter, 1 diced onion. Mix all and put in small casserole. Bake uncovered 350 for 45-50 minutes).

Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely be making this again!

Amy @Very Culinary March 24, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I’m so glad your family enjoyed it! I make a very similar rice here – http://veryculinary.com/2011/12/08/rice-pilaf-with-sauteed-onions-and-beef-consomme/ It dates back to my childhood. I love it!

Kim March 18, 2014 at 8:39 am

Hi Amy, This dish looks so yummy! I’m going to the grocery store today and will add the ingredients to my list!!!

Stephanie March 17, 2014 at 12:58 pm

What do I make to go with this?

Amy @Very Culinary March 17, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Hi Stephanie – what do you mean? I serve this over mashed potatoes, as noted in the recipe, or sometimes just all on its own. The cabbage and kielbasa is quite substantial.

Stephanie March 17, 2014 at 9:37 am

I LOVE kielbasa, but can never think of ways to use it in everyday cooking. THIS, my friend, sounds delicious! I bet it would be super good with a sliced apple mixed in with the veggies, too. I will definitely be trying this one soon!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea March 16, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I slip cabbage into all kinds of dishes. This one is just blatant. I am a cabbage dish—-love it or hate it. Obviously I love cabbage. I think it has gotten a bad rap. But this dish with sausage can win over a some converts I am sure.

Carla March 16, 2014 at 6:34 am

Oh wow this looks so good at 9:30 in the morning! I eat cabbage all the time and can’t wait to try this dish.

Joanne March 12, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I just don’t understand why we ever switch OUT of daylight savings time. What exactly is the benefit of it getting dark sooner?!

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for those nectarines!!

Amy March 11, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I’m so excited about your nectarine tree (I actually called them “nectarinas” as a little girl) and have my fingers crossed for the avocados! I know how much you want those, so I’m sending as many good soil and good growth thoughts your way as I can. :) Somehow I missed the cabbage train this winter, but I hopped on the Brussels sprouts one and never got off — that counts, right? (I’m seriously addicted — I eat them almost every day with breakfast!) I’ll definitely keep your scrumptious dish in mind for St. Patrick’s Day — so festive!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust March 11, 2014 at 7:40 pm

DST – BLECH. You’re right, it’s one thing AZ did right. I did NOT miss the time change when we lived there.

I bet this makes your house smell amazing!!! The perfect dinner.

Heather @ French Press March 11, 2014 at 5:14 pm

hooray for spring and pork fat – although I like my cabbage any way I can get it

Ray March 11, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Yum! Of course only one likes cabbage here, but this is something I could do for myself.

Shelly March 11, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I am so tired of politics ending up everywhere anymore where it isn’t appropriate…..now even what potentially may have been my new go-to food blog. Left or right……there needs to be somewhere where we can escape the political divisiveness.

Amy @Very Culinary March 11, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Hi Shelly! Forgive me, but I don’t even know what you’re referring to. Is Daylight Savings Time controversial to the point it makes people mad? It was just mentioned in more of a humorous fashion. I never involve politics on my blog. I’m so sorry you were offended.

shelly March 11, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I would definitely consider mentioning that the constitution (in your opinion) is outdated and also mentioning the recent vote in Arizona on a very controversial bill ….VERY political…..not daylight savings time. Just passing on an opinion…in these extremely politically divisive times, so many of us use hobbies (cooking and food blogs for example) to escape the madness.

Amy @Very Culinary March 11, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Oh okay. Hm. When I was writing that, I wasn’t even thinking about the bill that Arizona just voted on. It was more of a joke/statement that Arizona (one of only 2 states, I think ?) did the smart thing by abandoning DST, which is, IMHO, unnecessary now. I could have mentioned Hawaii instead, but AZ was the first that came to mind. I can understand where you saw the blurry lines.

As for the constitution, I do whole-heartedly believe it’s outdated and needs to be updated. Our country isn’t even remotely the same as it was in 1787, and as with many rules and laws, there are some parts that should be amended to reflect our changed times. Seeing as how I didn’t mention anything specific, though, that doesn’t make me political or unpatriotic.

Regardless, this comment is easily the most political I have been on this blog in 5 years! HA. I never talk about government and religion here, because I do agree, that food blogs should be about cooking and fun. Having said that, I am sarcastic, I do tell stories, and I do like to joke around. And obviously this time it hit a nerve with someone. Not my intention!

Diane March 12, 2014 at 8:39 am

Wow Shelly. I did not get that at all from this post. Sounds like you were the one who brought politics to the table, not Amy. Lighten up.

Angie | Big Bear's Wife March 11, 2014 at 11:21 am

as soon as I saw this, I though “Perfect for Saint Patrick’s Day!!” Those photos are beautiful too!

Rebecca {foodiewithfamily} March 11, 2014 at 9:46 am

I will gladly eat Paul’s share of cabbage. This looks so good to me! I think kielbasa and cabbage are perfect matches!

Jen March 11, 2014 at 9:17 am

While I sit here drooling, I also know Jay will cringe if I make this. I may have to make it just for me for lunches. :-)

Amy @Very Culinary March 11, 2014 at 10:03 am

Paul hates cabbage and he liked this, so you never know!

Corinne March 11, 2014 at 8:36 am

Like this recipe. I don’t like mustard tho so what can I use as a sub? Thanks for any ideas.

Amy @Very Culinary March 11, 2014 at 8:43 am

Hi Corinne – the closet ingredient I can think of would be horseradish.

Angie March 11, 2014 at 6:54 am

What a great healthy spin on a classic!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen March 11, 2014 at 6:11 am

I think I might have to trade in my corned beef and cabbage next week, for this lovely skillet. Is that totally wrong? I hope not.

Also, you have a nectarine tree AND an avocado bush?!?!?!!! Love it!!

Amy @Very Culinary March 11, 2014 at 8:43 am

No trading! Just make them both!

Julie March 11, 2014 at 5:54 am

Yum! This looks yummy and a good thing to do with our leftover cabbage after our corn beef dinner (now that there’s just the two of us, it’s been interesting figuring out about leftovers). We love cabbage. Oh, that’s right. We love just about anything that’s food. And what’s this spring you talk about? Got into the 50′s yesterday, but tonight they are talking about another 2-3″ of snow. Hopefully, it won’t last long. We’re all grumpy. I need to see flowers on a tree. Hope your Tuesday goes well.

Amy @Very Culinary March 11, 2014 at 8:44 am

I know. I remembered when it would snow in May. Is it any wonder why I was depressed? Home stretch…we’re getting there!