Spaghetti Carbonara with Jalapeño Bacon

Spaghetti Carbonara with Jalapeño Bacon #CookingWithFarmerJohn

by Amy Flanigan on March 18, 2014 · 26 comments

This recipe was developed by me for Farmer John and is part of a paid SocialMoms program. All opinions are 100% my own.

There’s a reason that some food trends come and go, like cakes in jars and whoopie pies, while others have complete staying power…liked bacon.

It’s because, well, bacon is awesome.

You can buy it thin or thick and cook it until crispy to leave it slightly chewy. The smell is intoxicating and it renders its own tasty grease that can be used instead of oil. It’s naturally salty or sweet sprinkled with some brown sugar. It’s great alongside some eggs, on top of a burger, wrapped around scallops, or all on its own.

See?

Like you needed any convincing, though, right?

I’ve never been extremely particular in the bacon I purchase, as long as it’s not extremely fatty. What’s funny is, a few weeks ago I went to the market, and in a hurry, I grabbed some bacon off the shelf that was a decent price and had a substantial amount of meat – didn’t even pay attention to the brand. I made BLTs that night – a favorite around here and easy go-to on hectic nights - and Paul said, “What bacon is this? Seems thicker. Tastes really great.” So, I looked at the packaging and it was Farmer John. Then, the following week, I got contacted by, yep, Farmer John. I laughed at how the universe works sometimes. And was delighted, of course.

Farmer John is a homegrown brand, passed down from grill to grill. Turns out, they were founded in the heart of Southern California and have been providing fresh, high-quality products ever since their humble doors opened to the public in 1931. Farmer John is known for delivering the highest quality pork products and is synonymous with delicious, crisp and savory bacon.

Taking that tradition to the next level, Farmer John is introducing a new mild premium jalapeno bacon. Hello!

Farmer John Jalapeno Bacon

With the same great flavor as Farmer John’s popular classic bacon, the new mild jalapeno bacon offers subtle spice and flavor that can be added to enhance any mealtime.

Spaghetti Carbonara with Jalapeño Bacon  #CookingWithFarmerJohn

I decided to test it out on one of my favorite classic Italian dishes, Spaghetti Carbonara. It’s already luscious from the silky sauce that’s created from cheese and hot pasta essentially cooking raw eggs, but the jalapeño bacon added a nice little kick that we thoroughly enjoyed. Even the kids!

I had enough slices left over so I made BLTs again. Loved this bacon that way too. Total winner!

For other delicious recipes and mealtime inspiration your entire family will love, visit FarmerJohn.com. You can also follow Farmer John on Facebook and they are now on Pinterest!

Spaghetti Carbonara with Jalapeño Bacon

• 1 pound spaghetti
• 4 eggs
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
• 1 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for topping
• 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
• 6 slices Farmer John Jalapeño Premium Bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 2 garlic coves, minced
• salt and freshly ground pepper

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti until al dente, according to package directions, about 8 minutes; reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.

In a very large bowl, whisk together the eggs, parsley, and Parmesan. Set aside.

In the meantime, heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Let cool slightly and then transfer to the bowl with the eggs.

Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the pasta from the water to the large bowl with the eggs and bacon, along with 1 tablespoon of the rendered fat; toss everything together quickly and thoroughly so the cheese and eggs become a sauce, without scrambling them. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper. (If the sauce seems too thick, you can thin it out with a little bit of the reserved pasta water.)

Serve into bowls immediately and pass Parmesan at the table.

Print this recipe Save this recipe

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box by clicking on the “Save this recipe” link. Then, create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

bev @ bevcooks April 1, 2014 at 8:04 am

Favorite. Food. Ever.

Mom March 20, 2014 at 6:45 am

I haven’t made spaghetti carbonara in ages, and this spiced version with the jalapeno bacon sounds really good. I’ll look for the Farmer John next shopping day.

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking March 20, 2014 at 12:11 am

That’s so awesome Amy! One of those “meant to be” moments in life. Lucky you! It’s hilarious that it’s jalapeño bacon because my guy just stuck a bag of jalapeño chips next to me and said, “Here, try some!” It’s a pretty popular flavor in our house. ;) And with how much he loves bacon, he’d eat at least 2 or 3 servings of your recipe!

Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out March 19, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Bacon kismet! My favorite kind of kismet!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen March 19, 2014 at 12:47 pm

This has my name all over it, so delicious!!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life March 19, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Ok, don’t shoot me…I am one of those crazies that isn’t crazy about bacon. For some strange reason I really only like it crispy on a BLT. I know, I’m kind of weird! BUT…that being said, this dinner looks crazy good to me right now. Like I want to eat it bacon and all!!! Yum!

Amy @Very Culinary March 19, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Lalalalalalalala…not listening! Lol. Just kidding. If you said you didn’t like sugar, than we couldn’t be friends. But I know THAT’S not the case!

kristy @ the wicked noodle March 19, 2014 at 8:30 am

Are you kidding me right now about Jalapeno Bacon?? My two favorite flavors in the world…combined?? I am sooo hoping they’re in my grocery market here on the East Coast!

And ps…Adding this flavor bacon to carbonara is genius.

Joanne March 18, 2014 at 7:11 pm

It’s so nice when the universe works in such magical ways. I am definitely intrigued by this jalapeno-infusion. Might have to sneak some into the.boy and see what he thinks!

Julianne @ Beyond Frosting March 18, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Yum! Bacon makes everything better, so I can only imagine how good this must be!

Trish - Mom On Timeout March 18, 2014 at 1:48 pm

This looks like the perfect dinner and I am loving that bacon!! Where did you find it at? Please say Target because you know I love shopping there ;)

Amy @Very Culinary March 18, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Haha. Who doesn’t love Target?! No, I actually got it at Nugget, so just across the street. Worth the walk!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife March 18, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I need to find some jalapeno bacon! ooo and carbonara…. it makes my heart skip a beat!

Kim Beaulieu March 18, 2014 at 1:16 pm

See this is why I need to move. I can’t find things like jalapeno bacon in Canada. I may have to make my own because seriously, it’s bacon and jalapeno, I have to try it. This recipe sounds amazing Amy. I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I’d probably be found eating the leftovers standing by the fridge at midnight too.

Ray March 18, 2014 at 1:05 pm

OK, must not mention other brand names specifically because of sponsorship, but we bought some applewood-smoked jalapeño bacon at a warehouse store whose name rhymes with Jostko, and there is some in the meat drawer in the fridge. And we have eggs. Not sure about long, thin pasta though; we might have some linguine, which will do in a pinch.

Amy @Very Culinary March 18, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Traditional carbonara uses spaghetti, but it also does NOT use garlic. Since I broke the rules, you may as well. Make it so, my friend. Make it so ;-)

Courtney @ Neighborfood March 18, 2014 at 11:16 am

Jalapeno bacon?! What a fantastic idea. I love the creaminess of carbonara and I’m sure it’s even better with spicy bacon (what isn’t?)

Krystal @ Krystal's Korner March 18, 2014 at 9:27 am

I love bacon and pasta. This looks delicious! It’s now on my list of recipes to try.

julia March 18, 2014 at 9:25 am

My husband loves bacon so this would be right up his alley! I will have to try this one soon. Delicious!

Meg March 18, 2014 at 8:02 am

I could barely read this post — my mouth is watering! How delicious.

Angie March 18, 2014 at 7:38 am

Carbonara is one of my favorite go to meals, and I love that you used jalapeno bacon, yum!

Julie March 18, 2014 at 6:46 am

Spaghetti carbonara was one of the first meals I made for us after we were married. For some odd reason, I haven’t made it in years. I need to make some. I mean, hello?? Pasta and bacon?? Perfect combo.

Amy @Very Culinary March 18, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Right? I actually hadn’t made it in some time…maybe 6 months or so? But it used to be a standard. This bacon was a perfect excuse to revisit it. And it was as wonderful as I remembered :)

Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos March 18, 2014 at 6:06 am

I need this bacon in my life – it looks like the perfect addition to an already awesome pasta dish!!

Dani H March 18, 2014 at 5:02 am

Can you believe I’ve never tried Spaghetti Carbonara? I’m not really big on pasta, but with bacon? Possible third only to pie and donuts in the main food groups, right?

Have you been doing a “bacon weave” on anything? I just became aware of it and did a google search. Going to try it on the next BLT I make so there’s bacon in every bite! {smile}

Amy @Very Culinary March 18, 2014 at 2:02 pm

I haven’t tried it, but I’ve seen it everywhere lately! It must be the new trend. Add it to my bucket list!