Barramundi with Fruit Salsa

Barramundi with Fruit Salsa

by Amy Flanigan on March 31, 2014 · 24 comments

Yay spring! I know it’s still snowing in some parts of the country, but at least there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, right? Home stretch, friends!

Where I am, Mother Nature skips spring every year and jumps right onto into summer. It was 85 degrees last week. Um, Mother, throw us a bone, would ya?

So, while many of you are still making soups and stews, I’ve moved on to fruit and salads. But, you’ll catch up soon enough, and when you do, you must make this fish dish.

Light, layers of flavor, and poppin’ with color. Another high five to Barramundi.

Barramundi with Fruit Salsa

Barramundi has been applauded for its sustainability, farm-raised in Southeast Pacific waters using Smart Aquaculture methods. Well known in Southeast Asia, Australia, and New Zealand for awhile now, it’s gaining popularity in the U.S. by being known as “The Sustainable Sea Bass.” I think it’s becoming popular because it’s absolutely delicious!

Barramundi has a firm and meaty texture, but also buttery and delicate. Its extremely mild flavor makes it so versatile and great for every day dishes and cooking techniques, whether it be grilling, poaching, or searing. And Barramundi’s a superfood – no mercury, chemicals, or hormones. Its high in protein, containing only half the calories of Salmon, and has high levels of Omega-3s. Woot!

Now widely available across the U.S. at the fabulous Trader Joe’s in their frozen section.

Barramundi Fillets-Trader Joes

If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s anywhere near you, I would contact your mayor and protest! Lol. I’m kidding. Barramundi is also sold at Whole Foods, Stop & Shop, Safeway, and other retailers.

And that brings us to the end of my 3-part series. Waaaaa. I hope they come calling again next year. I could talk about this fish forever.

(Disclosure: This post is sponsored via the NoshOn.It Publisher Partner Program by a leading barramundi producer. As always, opinions are my own.)

Barramundi with Fruit Salsa

• 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
• 4 large strawberries, diced
• 3/4 cup diced pineapple
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 4 Barramundi fish fillets (about 4 ounces each)

Set oven to broil with rack 4 inches from the heat. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, stir together the kiwi, strawberries, and pineapple.

In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Transfer the fillets to the baking sheet and brush the mixture on top. Broil for for about 4 minutes per side (depending on the thickness of the fillets) or until flaky and cooked through. (Keep an eye on the broiler, so they don’t burn!)

Top with the salsa and serve.

Print this recipe Save this recipe

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box by clicking on the “Save this recipe” link. Then, create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Shawn @ I Wash You Dry April 4, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Oooh! This looks so light and fresh! Perfect for Spring!

kristy @ the wicked noodle April 2, 2014 at 4:46 pm

This looks fantastic! Pinning!

Joanne March 31, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Maybe I’ll just move in with you and then move back here once spring comes. I want to eat a fruit that doesn’t start with an A- and end with a -PPLE. Preferably something that ends in a -BERRY.

Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out March 31, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I’m trying to get Alex and I to eat more fish, but he’s kinda weird about fish. This sounds like one he would like, though…definitely going to be trying it out post haste!

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor March 31, 2014 at 6:04 pm

I love fruit salsa with fish and your barramundi looks perfect! So perfect for the warm spring weather!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking March 31, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Whoa whoa whoa… This fish was from TJ’S?? How did I not know they sold them?? Wait, I know why. My guy hates all fish (except the raw kind in sushi) so I never get to cook it. So sad. But your fillets look so perfectly tender and flaky — and that bright salsa, oh YUM! (P.S. Can we have the 85° weather back and get rid of this rain??)

Mom March 31, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Will definitely try this with the one last piece I have in my freezer.

Susan March 31, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I will happily give up some of my heavier meals for some fish and a fruit salad. Bring on the warmer weather and light meals already!

Aggie March 31, 2014 at 12:14 pm

I found barramundi at Costco years ago and loved it!! This looks great. I can’t wait till our trader joes opens…

Dani H March 31, 2014 at 11:56 am

I’ve been wanting a sustainable (affordable) white fish that is more than 1/4″ thick (it seems almost everything here lately has been really thin.) I noticed Barramundi in a recent grocery ad. Since it has the Amy stamp of approval, I’ll give it a try!

Amy @Very Culinary March 31, 2014 at 7:56 pm

I’ve bought this fish at Safeway and at TJ’s – both the same deliciousness, but I find that TJ’s has thicker cuts, fyi.

Jude March 31, 2014 at 11:43 am

Sustainable and no chemicals? I’m in. This is a nice recipe for spring, indeed.

Amy @Very Culinary March 31, 2014 at 7:55 pm

You’d love this fish – see if Chopper can find it at Byerly’s.

Jess March 31, 2014 at 10:45 am

This looks divine!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife March 31, 2014 at 9:22 am

We really, really need a Trader Joes here! Love this recipe (I’m so, so ready for fruit to be everywhere!)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet March 31, 2014 at 7:22 am

Love this dish! Gorgeous!

Nutmeg Nanny March 31, 2014 at 6:59 am

I don’t eat a lot of fish but I have a feeling it would pair lovely with this fruit salad!

Christiane ~ Taking On Magazines March 31, 2014 at 6:44 am

Hmmmm, I’ve never heard of Barramundi, but now I’m going to have to go looking for it. Luckily, a Trader Joe’s was put in our area not too long ago so it’ll be easy enough for me to find. Your dish definitely makes the search worth while!

Paula - bell'alimento March 31, 2014 at 6:24 am

I’ve GOT to remember to pick this up next time I’m at TJ’s!

Rebecca {foodie with family} March 31, 2014 at 6:20 am

The light at the end of the tunnel is currently a snow plow here. It was 16°F this morning. Not kidding. This fish might make me feel a little less stabby. It looks so fresh and springy! xoxo

Julie March 31, 2014 at 6:13 am

Ugh. 85. The high tomorrow is supposed to be like 40. AND, Jerry’s taken the week off to spread mulch and I’m supposed to help him. Oh, and it’s supposed to rain all week. I informed him that there was no way I was helping him in the rain. It’s like he hasn’t listened to me for the past 27 years about rain and curls. Hello?!?! Meanwhile, I HAVE to find some of this fish. No Trader Joe’s around here, but I’ll keep looking. Happy Monday! Stay cool (?) and one day soon, it will go from 30 to 90 with no in between around here. Whee!

Amy @Very Culinary March 31, 2014 at 7:54 pm

If it makes you feel any better, it’s been raining for the last 2 days. Only bright side… rainbows :)

Julie April 8, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I found it! AND, it was on sale, so I bought two packages, trusting you and Stephie that I’ll like it. Having it next week (or that’s the plan). :)

Amy @Very Culinary April 8, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Well, no guarantees of course, especially if you’re a half-hearted fish lover. I can’t convert those! *fingers crossed*