Overnight Ham Casserole

Overnight Ham Casserole

by Amy Flanigan on April 2, 2014 · 17 comments

This recipe was developed by me for Smithfield. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.

Ah, when it rains it pours, as they say. Sometimes in a bad way, sometimes in a good way.

Bad way:
(1) You’re meeting your sister for lunch, but can’t find the restaurant, so you do the bonehead thing and have her direct you there, on the phone, not hands-free. Ticket ensues.
(2) You drop an entire set of glass nesting bowls on the tile floor. Bonus – it’s minutes before you need to pick up your kid from school. Yay me!
(3) The credit card bill comes. The end.

All in the same day.

Good way:
(1) A box of assorted vanilla extract bottles are delivered.
(2) A huge box of new kitchen gadgets are delivered.
(3) A gorgeous Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham is delivered.

All in the same day.

Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham

And let me tell you friends, this ham was outstanding. Every bite was like butter! We stuffed our faces until we were so full, we could barely move. And then we ate some more. #iamnotashamed.

I made sure I had enough left over, though, for sandwiches and a casserole. I just love a breakfast casserole.

Overnight Ham Casserole

I was inspired by a mix-and-match sort of tutorial in Food Network magazine and then did my own thing.

Save, bookmark, pin, print…whatever you need to do – just keep this one in your back pocket for the day after Easter when you need a brunch idea to serve a group.

Overnight Ham Casserole

Prep it the night before and the hardest thing you’ll have to do in the morning is make coffee.

Overnight Ham Casserole
Rest time: stand for 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight

• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small sweet onion, diced small
• 1 small red bell pepper, diced small
• 10 eggs
• 3 cups half-n-half
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 scallions, chopped
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• 6 cups day-old cubed french bread, divided
• 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
• 1 1/2 cups diced ham

Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onions and bell pepper, until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-n-half, and salt. Add in the scallions and parsley.

Butter a 9×13 baking dish. Scatter half of the bread cubes on the bottom. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of the cheese on top, followed by the onion/bell pepper mixture and ham. Top with the remaining bread. Pour the custard on top; cover with plastic wrap and let stand 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight. (Bring to room temperature before baking.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover; sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese evenly over the top. Bake for about 50-55 minutes or until puffed and golden and a knife inserted comes out clean. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and enjoy!

Note: the cooking time will depend on the depth of your baking dish and how your oven circulates the heat.

Print this recipe Save this recipe

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box by clicking on the “Save this recipe” link. Then, create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Andrea B (@goodgirlgonered) April 6, 2014 at 8:28 am

I don’t eat ham, but this looks really good. I wonder if I could switch it to cubed turkey or turkey bacon? Mmmn!

Amy @Very Culinary April 6, 2014 at 9:05 am

Absolutely! It obviously will have a different flavor, but I imagine still very delicious. This is very versatile.

DessertForTwo April 4, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I’m such a ham fan. Wait, that sounds funny. I LOVE ham! Ok, there, better. This recipe looks great :)

Rebecca {foodie with family} April 3, 2014 at 9:51 am

In my perfect dream world, one of my guys would assemble this and bake it for me so I could eat this in bed. Is that weird? :D

Kim Beaulieu April 2, 2014 at 9:31 pm

There is nothing better than an amazing ham. Except an overnight ham casserole with that amazing ham.

Joanne April 2, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Substitute credit card bill with tax estimates and dropping nesting bowls with “spilling fritatta filling all over the floor”. And, yeah. I need this cheesy comfort casserole.

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking April 2, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I actually remember that Food Network magazine article! I thought it was brilliant, and then I promptly lost the magazine in the expanse I call my bookshelf. Oops. Ham was always my parents’ favorite choice, so we’d all totally love your casserole!

Susan April 2, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Boo for the bad day stuff but yeah for all the good things! I need to get on the breakfast casserole bandwagon.

Heather @ French Press April 2, 2014 at 8:33 am

at least you had three good things to outweigh the bad :( and I am ALL over a good breakfast casserole

Angie April 2, 2014 at 7:27 am

What a great recipe for Easter guests!

Karen Petersen April 2, 2014 at 7:09 am

Perfect for ham leftovers! Totally going to use this in my ham round up next week :)

Christiane ~ Taking On Magazines April 2, 2014 at 6:32 am

Wow, that was a bad day, especially the glass bowls just before picking up your child from school. I feel for you on that one. But, that ham. Yeah, that’s a double good bonus. I love what you did with it too. To have a good, hot breakfast ready that quickly, count me in.

Nutmeg Nanny April 2, 2014 at 6:25 am

I made a huge ham a few weeks ago and still have tons of leftover ham. I threw it in the freezer but still looking for tasty leftover dishes. This totally fits the bill!

Paula-bell'alimento April 2, 2014 at 5:48 am

This is my kinda breakfast/brunch!

Melissa April 2, 2014 at 5:40 am

Dropping the bowls alone would have done me in. Yikes. But man, that’s a helluva triple whammy on the deliveries!

Amy @Very Culinary April 2, 2014 at 12:22 pm

It was as awful as you can imagine. I’m still finding tiny pieces along the base of the cabinets. Nobody is allowed to walk barefoot! Ugh.

foodwanderings April 2, 2014 at 5:37 am

Aw Amy, I love an overnight dish though in all honesty I almost never make it. It does fascinate me though. If I was eating ham I will be all over this dish though I can probably substitute with something else. :)