Breakfast Pizza for #PizzaWeek

Breakfast Pizza for #PizzaWeek

by Amy Flanigan on April 8, 2014 · 21 comments

My very first job was at a frozen yogurt shop in the mall. I was 15. I got fired after three months because the owners accused me of stealing money out of the till. One of their long-time “trusted” workers was actually the one who was doing it, but I couldn’t prove it. So I was out.

My second job was in that same mall at the brand new Victoria’s Secret. My responsibility? I stood at the front of the store all day long and made sure the underwear looked nice. I wanted to hang myself. Left that job after only two months.

Then came Dominoes Pizza. I got a job with them answering phones, and then eventually made the pies. I worked there for over two years. My boss was great, co-workers were super fun, and… pizza. Brought home free dinner a lot. And I never got tried of it. Too much variety.

Breakfast Pizza for #PizzaWeek

Of course back then, at the ripe old age of 17, I never would have thought to put caramelized onions, grilled corn, or reduced balsamic vinegar on a pizza. No pizza joint did that in 1986 – at least not where I lived.

And I certainly wouldn’t have thought to put hash browns and eggs on top. But I do it all the time now. Breakfast pizza is the best.

And it’s my contribution to #PizzaWeek, hosted by NoshOn.It.

#PizzaWeek Badge

Check out Cafe Johnsonia and Mountain Mama Cooks who also made pizzas today. For all your pizza desires, there’s also a
Pinterest Board devoted to nothing but!

Breakfast Pizza

• 2 naan flatbreads
• 1 tablespoon pesto, divided
• 4 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1/2 cup diced red or orange bell pepper
• 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
• 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 1 cup Simply Potatoes shredded hash browns (found in the refrigerator section at the market)
• 1 1/2 cups Italian blend shredded cheese
• 1 scallion, diced
• 2 eggs
• salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place oven rack in lowest position.

In a large nonstick sauté pan, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crispy, about 7 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Add the bell pepper and onion to the pan with the rendered bacon fat and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl. In the same pan, heat the butter; once melted add in the hash browns and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 7 more minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

To assemble the pizzas, place flatbread on baking sheets lightly coated with cooking spray. Spread the pesto evenly on each flatbread. Then evenly distribute the cheese, hash browns, pepper/onion mixture, bacon, and scallions. Move a portion of the toppings out of the way to make 2 little wells (1 on each flatbread.) Crack eggs into the wells. Sprinkle with a little pepper.

Bake until the crust is golden and the eggs are set, but still slightly soft, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.

Print this recipe Save this recipe

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box by clicking on the “Save this recipe” link. Then, create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking April 12, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Oh my goodness Amy… Victoria’s Secret scares the bejeezus out of me. No joke. I have never, ever, ever set foot inside, and I probably never will. (Not like any of their items would ever fit tiny ol’ me anyway!) But a pizza joint… Now THAT I could get on board with. I’m obsessed with pizza right now and I basically crave it every other night. I haven’t thought to have it for breakfast though — so brilliant!

Mom April 10, 2014 at 5:41 am

OK. I’m already drooling because I know how good your pizzas are.

Angie | Big Bear's Wife April 9, 2014 at 1:11 pm

ooooo we love pizza and my husband would be so super excited for us to have pizza for breakfast (a breakfast pizza!!)

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious April 8, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Beautiful egg plopped right in the middle…I want a slice so bad right now!

Kim Beaulieu April 8, 2014 at 9:45 pm

When I was a teenager I worked at an amusement park all summer long. Can you imagine? Such a fun job. We went in early and “tested” the rides before work. Looking back I think how dumb we were to be the first ones on every day to make sure they were working okay. Ha.

Love this pizza. I wished I lived at your house. I’m not a morning person so breakfast is never this fancy. Would make the perfect breakfast for dinner night at our house. Absolutely gorgeous and very cool toppings.

Joanne April 8, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I worked at Express for a while and it sounds like your Victoria’s Secret experience. They just kept talking about these Five Pillars of Express in our walkie talkie things and I found it super disturbing. But I did appreciate the discount on jeans.

Fun pizzas are one of the best parts of being a food blogger! Love this breakfast version. So it means I can legit eat it FOR breakfast, right?

Joelen April 8, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Oh boy – I’d have this for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner anytime! Looks amazing and that egg looks fantastic in the middle!

kelley April 8, 2014 at 6:54 pm

I love using naan as a pizza crust, it makes a quick and easy dinner or in this case breakfast!

Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out April 8, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Breakfast pizza?? This makes my heart skip a beat.

Jen April 8, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Yes, and I got a coral satin robe (that I still have) and a couple other things from your VS job (you would have gone broke working there if you hadn’t quit anyway) and a pseudo boyfriend out of your Domino’s job. Good times!

Amy @Very Culinary April 8, 2014 at 3:56 pm

You do not still have that robe, really???! Omg.

Dani April 8, 2014 at 11:22 am

When I was in high school, I had a car before my best friend did so I always picked her up in the morning. Every day her mother had hot out of the oven English muffin pizzas for us to take with us for breakfast. As much as I loved those, yours looks a thousand times better! Can I come live at your house, please?

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough April 8, 2014 at 11:05 am

I love all the things going on with this pizza. And pizza for breakfast is genius!

Samantha April 8, 2014 at 9:25 am

Everything is better with an egg on top!

Nutmeg Nanny April 8, 2014 at 9:13 am

Breakfast pizza?!?! You’re killing me. I need this RIGHT now!

Courtney @ Neighborfood April 8, 2014 at 6:58 am

I love breakfast pizza and double love that you put corn on this one. What a great way to use up leftover grilled corn. Saving this recipe for summer!

Amy @Very Culinary April 8, 2014 at 7:15 am

Um, except I didn’t….peppers, but no corn. Lol. That would be delicious, too, though!

Christine April 8, 2014 at 6:37 am

The first time I had an egg on a pizza was when we were on a holiday in Switzerland. It was amazing. I have actually had dreams about it. This brings it all back to me. I must make it soon soon soon!

Angie April 8, 2014 at 6:35 am

Is it wrong that I want to eat this whole pizza right now?!?

Dawn Lopez April 8, 2014 at 6:23 am

That is taking breakfast to the next level! I adore the baked egg on top, what a gorgeous touch. I bet this is scrumptious! Can’t wait to try your recipe!

foodwanderings April 8, 2014 at 5:50 am

You are funny, Amy. & that sunny side up on the b’fast pizza is as bright and cheery as you are. :)