Everything-But-the-Bagel Hash Browns

Hash Browns with Smoked Salmon and Capers

by Amy Flanigan on April 15, 2014 · 20 comments

Spring break. Easter Break. Passover break. Why do they call it a break, again? Oh, that’s right – a break from school. That part I’m loving. No racing in the mornings, no packing lunches, and no homework. The part about occupying my kids all day long for a week, and listening to them bicker after only two days..not so much.

But breakfast time? That one hour is glorious. They’ve just woken up, everyone is getting along, they’re hungry and happy with whatever I give them (that’s a lie – they would totally complain if I copped out and gave them cereal.)

I told them “you’re not getting a fancy breakfast every day of spring break!” …and then I proceeded to make French Toast with Cinnamon Whipped Cream. And then the next morning I made these hash browns. #IAmSuchASucker

Hash Browns with Smoked Salmon and Capers

What can I say? I’m more willing to make an elaborate, delicious meal in the morning when I’m not rushed.

Except this isn’t elaborate. At all.

But they think it is.

Hash Browns with Smoked Salmon and Capers

• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
• 4 cups shredded hash browns, thawed if frozen (I used 1 package refrigerated Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns)
• salt and pepper
• 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
• 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
• 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
• 2 tablespoons capers

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.

Add the shredded Hash Browns to the skillet. Spread in an even layer; press down lightly with spatula. Cook for about 6 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. With the spatula, turn potatoes over. Cook for an additional 6 minutes or until golden brown and tender.

Divide among 4 plates, sprinkle with a dash of salt and freshly ground pepper. Top with smoked salmon, red onion, a dollop of Greek yogurt, and sprinkle with capers. Serve immediately and enjoy!

(inspired by Rachel Ray)

Print this recipe Save this recipe

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box by clicking on the “Save this recipe” link. Then, create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Caroline {TheBarbeeHousewife} April 17, 2014 at 6:20 am

All of my favorites, in one breakfast bowl! Yum!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking April 16, 2014 at 11:33 pm

You’re the best mom ever! Plus a really yummy “fancy” breakfast probably delays the bickering for another hour, which really isn’t all that bad, right? Totally worth it. My guy would want to move in for hash brown day; he never eats breakfast unless potatoes are on the menu!

Susan April 16, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Maybe it’s spring break for the jews because we have to break away from bread? Ha! However this is kind of an awesome breakfast for anytime (especially now)!

Joanne April 15, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Given the price of smoked salmon around here…uh, this is gourmet! At least, I would fight someone to have it for breakfast. Love smoked salmon.

Angela |Mind Over Batter April 15, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I think sucker and mom go together. I say the same thing, and then I’m also whipping up french toast or baking fresh bread the night before. Sigh…. This breakfast looks crazy delicious! I love smoked salmon, and never met a hash brown I didn’t like.

Nutmeg Nanny April 15, 2014 at 5:56 pm

This looks crazy delicious! You have all my favorite food piled onto one giant plate. I wish I had a plate right now :)

eat good 4 life April 15, 2014 at 5:00 pm

What a great combination. I could eat smoked salmon everyday of the week. It is one of my favorite foods.

Angie | Big Bear's Wife April 15, 2014 at 4:27 pm

haha when my nice stayed with us the other weekend I tried to give her cereal in the morning and she was like “No, we need to make something” and I was like “Well, I’ll make you a bowl of cereal” haha and she said “ummm no… that’s too easy, we need an awesome breakfast” (she’s 5) haha. This would be some extraordinary to have for breakfast!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl April 15, 2014 at 11:17 am

Oh man I love everything bagels with everything!!!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet April 15, 2014 at 10:59 am

I love the fact that we are on a break! No alarms! This looks amazing!

Brenda@SugarFreeMom April 15, 2014 at 8:51 am

Love this without a bagel here!! Totally love smoked salmon!

Christiane ~ Taking On Magazines April 15, 2014 at 8:45 am

Ok, so now I feel bad because all I did was plop the cereal on the table with the milk. Well I did toast an English muffin once or twice. This looks amazing!

Paula - bell'alimento April 15, 2014 at 8:14 am

Oh my goodness gracious just YES.

Mom April 15, 2014 at 8:12 am

This looks so good, I can’t wait to try myself. I just need to get those Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns you keep mentioning.

Courtney @ Neighborfood April 15, 2014 at 7:51 am

Love, love, LOVE this idea Amy! Smoked salmon makes anything better in my opinion. Especially breakfast. :)

Claire Gallam April 15, 2014 at 7:30 am

omg my husband would LOVE this.

Jude April 15, 2014 at 7:25 am

You’re killing me over here. Five minutes til my next meeting and I’m famished. Then THIS pops up in my email? I’m putting it on my To Do List.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen April 15, 2014 at 7:00 am

I love savory breakfasts!

Carolyn April 15, 2014 at 6:58 am

Amy, I totally love this. Smoked salmon is one of my favorite foods ever. I wonder if I can do this with rutabaga in place of the potato for the hash browns? Might need to try!

eat good 4 life April 15, 2014 at 5:00 pm