Sausage and Pea Pasta

Sausage and Pea Pasta

by Amy on April 17, 2014 · 28 comments

I can’t believe there was ever a time I didn’t like vegetables. But there was, until I was about…30. Crazy. Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks?

What is it about them, though? What makes kids detest them so much? Sure, they devour them out of the baby food jar, but that’s only because they’re so excited to be sitting up and eating real food, finally. But then something happens when they hit three. Vegetables become Satan.

Haley’s the exception – she has always loved vegetables. Trevor is typical, and does not. But he’s slowly coming around.

Sausage and Pea Pasta

We all love baby peas, though. Huzzah! So, I put them in everything.

This pasta dish is a family favorite.

Sausage and Pea Pasta

Perfect for a weekday dinner. Really fast and flavorful, and at least in my house, the peas don’t get picked out.

Sausage and Pea Pasta

• 1 pound medium shell pasta
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
• 1 pound seasoned pork sausage (I used Jimmy Dean)
• 1 cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• crushed red pepper flakes
• 1/2 cup pesto sauce

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the shells to al dente texture, according to package instructions, about 10 minutes.

In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions until softened and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add in the pork and cook, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon until no pink remains; about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Gently toss in the peas until warmed through.

Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Stir in the pesto until all the shells are coated. Stir in the sausage mixture until thoroughly combined. Ladle into bowls and serve right away.

Print this recipe

Denise Buechele September 19, 2014 at 2:26 pm

What kind of pesto sauce??

Amy @Very Culinary September 19, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Hi Denise – any kind! :) I used the traditional basil and pine nuts, but use whatever you prefer.

Denise Buechele September 22, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Thank You Very much. I,ll let U know how it turns out.

Sam June 14, 2014 at 1:37 am

I made this tonight for dinner and LOVED it! I didn’t have any pesto on hand so I just used a splash of red wine and look it cook and it came out perfect. Loved the spice from the chili flakes and the slight sweetness from the peas!

Amy @Very Culinary June 14, 2014 at 8:24 am

I would never think to replace the pesto with red wine, but I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

Sandi June 2, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I think they learn they aren’t supposed to like veggies from certain adults and kids around them. My niece loved sauteed mushrooms just like her parents, until she started school and found out from other kids that ‘mushrooms were icky’. When she was 7 or 8, she discovered an older child she really admired loved sauteed mushrooms. Magically, she has loved them ever since. My nephew on the other hand learned from his father that only corn and beans were worth eating. It wasn’t until he went to college and saw a lot of classmates eating a variety of veggies that he decided that maybe all veggies weren’t of the devil.

Amy @Very Culinary June 2, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Peer pressure starts young!

Stephanie April 28, 2014 at 8:19 am

We have a very similar go-to pea/sausage pasta dish that is one of my favorites. It’s perfect for something a little different, and easy to change up for varying tastes. Also, spring! Very lovely, as usual! :)

Carol at Wild Goose Tea April 21, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Let’s hear it for baby peas as a family binder!!!!! Sausage is generally a winner with everyone, except I have two grandkids who won’t eat that.
Looks like a winning recipe to me. Smiles—–

Joanne April 19, 2014 at 11:18 am

My brother still has not outgrown his dislike of veggies. Thankfully, the.boy is on the veggie bandwagon with me! I don’t think he would eat quite as many if I wasn’t around to feed him…but what can you do. At least he eats them!

Peas are a favorite. I know this would be a big hit!!

Joelen April 18, 2014 at 2:15 pm

This looks so comforting and hearty!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife April 18, 2014 at 7:24 am

I love vegetables haha I’ve loved them pretty much forever but my husband didn’t really start eating them until like 5 years ago! Love this pasta recipe!

Christiane ~ Taking On Magazines April 18, 2014 at 7:00 am

Peas and broccoli are the only green vegetables my 7 year-old really enjoys. And she loves sausage so I think this would be a huge hit with her. It looks awesome.

Nutmeg Nanny April 18, 2014 at 6:33 am

This is the type of pasta dish that sings to my heart. I would gladly eat this for dinner…or breakfast ;)

Michele @ Flavor Mosaic April 18, 2014 at 2:17 am

You are not alone. Many vegetables I did not like until I was an adult. Peas are probably the most popular vegetable at family get togethers. This looks delish! Thanks for sharing.

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking April 17, 2014 at 11:34 pm

That’s wonderful that you’ve found a vegetable that everyone loves! My guy doesn’t like most veggies, especially cooked carrots. If I ever include them in a sauté or soup, I have to pick them all out and put them on my plate. Not that I mind — veggies are my favorite food group! After chocolate. And dessert. ;) But my guy adores pasta and sausage, so he’d devour two whole bowls — minus the peas though!

Susan April 17, 2014 at 4:52 pm

pasta + sausage+ vegetable = a very happy Susan. Also I only ate certain vegetables as a kid. Took awhile before I started eating all of them.

Ray April 17, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I became more adventurous as an adult, and in the past 5+ years I’ve been eating new-to-me vegetables.

But I have to laugh at the typo in the second paragraph. If only vegetables became Satin, then kids and teens would love them.

Amy @Very Culinary April 17, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Bwah! Yes, indeed. Fixed that….

Ginny McMeans April 17, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Nothing is better than a comfort food pasta dinner. Thanks!

Liz April 17, 2014 at 11:54 am

Looks wonderful!!! Perfect quick week night meal!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes April 17, 2014 at 10:46 am

That’s funny because I’m just learning to like some veggies now that I turned 30! At least I’m trying! This looks yummy.

Courtney @ Neighborfood April 17, 2014 at 9:42 am

Love simple pasta dishes like this! There were a lot of veggies I hated as a kid (one of them was peas!), but I’m happy to say I’ve seen the light!

meredith In Sock Monkey Slippers April 17, 2014 at 8:59 am

I want to lick the screen!

Rebecca {foodie with family} April 17, 2014 at 8:28 am

Baby peas are like glitter… They make everything prettier! This pasta looks like the most amazing fast weeknight dinner of all time. I could quite likely inhale an entire batch by myself.

Melissa April 17, 2014 at 7:45 am

I always loved vegetables – though you know that. I’ve mentioned how much raw stuff I would eat even when I was young.

And this pasta? Hoo boy. You know I love love love this. It’s very much like my sausage, leek and pea pasta, though I don’t include pesto. I used to be hard pressed not to eat it with a spoon right out of the pot. SO GOOD. I was waffling about what to do with some of the last of the venison Italian sausage, but this made up my mind.

Paula - bell'alimento April 17, 2014 at 7:38 am

I’m going to need a much bigger bowl. Or save the dish and just pass the pan ; )

Rose | The Clean Dish April 17, 2014 at 6:08 am

Luckily, I’ve always loved veggies although I really started to consciously eat more and juice on a regular basis just before I turned 30. I guess in your 20s, you still feel invincible… hehe
My husband would love this dish! I’ll make it for him this weekend :)