Hash Brown-Crusted Quiche with Sausage

Hash Brown-Crusted Quiche with Sausage

by Amy Flanigan on May 4, 2014 · 17 comments

Oh my gosh, it’s May! Weren’t we just talking about soup and snow? Hopefully you’re all thawed out now and looking forward to summer. The last few days brought us 90 degree temps…so I’m already making popsicles.

But first things first.

Mother’s Day is only weeks away, and you’re looking for the perfect quiche to serve for brunch, right? Or maybe you weren’t, but now you realize what a great idea that is. Or maybe you were in need of a delicious breakfast for this weekend. Or maybe you love eggs for dinner. See, I’ve got your bases covered.

Hashbrown-Crusted Quiche with Sausage

I actually served this for sister Jen’s birthday in March. And then I proceeded to make it about 1,057 times since then.

Hashbrown-Crusted Quiche with Sausage

It’s so delicious, and of course super easy. Two of my favorite things.

Hash Brown-Crusted Quiche with Sausage

• 3 cups Simply Potatoes shredded hash browns (found in the refrigerator section at the market)
• 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
• salt and pepper
• 1 1/2 cups (about 12 ounces) seasoned Italian ground pork sausage (I used Jimmy Dean)
• 6 eggs
• 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
• 2 scallions, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl gently toss the hash browns with the butter to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Press the hash browns into the bottom and up the sides of the plate to form a crust. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

In the meantime, sauté the ground sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no pink remains, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.

In the large bowl you used for the hash browns, whisk together the eggs, cream, cheeses, and scallions. Season with a dash of salt and pepper. Add in the cooked sausage crumbles. Mix to combine.

Pour mixture on top of the hash brown crust. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until set. Let cool slightly, cut into wedges and serve.

(adapted from Paula Dean)

Print this recipe Save this recipe

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box by clicking on the “Save this recipe” link. Then, create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Stephanie May 28, 2014 at 11:18 am

What’s not to love about this??? It’s totally genius to use hash browns as the crust.

Sandra Young May 15, 2014 at 6:26 am

I made this for mother’s day and we all loved it! I was even asked for the recipe. Thank you for a great recipe!

Amy @Very Culinary May 15, 2014 at 6:57 am

Oh, I’m so glad! Thanks for taking the time to post a comment, Sandra!

Dani H May 13, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Love, love, love quiche! This recipe sounds awesome, Amy!
?

Mom May 9, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Made this yesterday, and it turned out as good as yours. Yea! For a light dinner rather than brunch, I served just with fruit and cranraisins. I would make this for a potluck any time.

Amy @Very Culinary May 10, 2014 at 7:47 am

I’m so glad you made it! xoxo

Caroline {TheBarbeeHousewife} May 8, 2014 at 7:06 am

Omg, this looks amazing! I can’t wait to make it.

Joanne May 6, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I’m in the EGGS FOR ALL MEALS camp. So bring this quiche on!

Ray May 5, 2014 at 9:54 am

You know all about my recent soup foray, bizarre color and all. :)

As I said over on FB, this looks delicious. I’m not sure when we’re going to be in a quiche-y mood this month (boy is the social calendar booked!) but I am hankerin’ for a good egg main meal.

Rok May 5, 2014 at 4:16 am

Great idea. I will try this with ground beef and some seasoning instead of sausege. Hope it comes out as good as these looks.

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking May 4, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Why do we never seem to have a proper spring?? We go straight from jeans and fleecy scarves to shorts and swimsuits. Oof! So happy you shared this quiche. I remember how you said everyone adored it, and I can see why! Hash browns, sausage, two kinds of cheese… Serious business there! :)

Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out May 4, 2014 at 8:04 pm

This is brilliant – I have GF friends who are so sad that their quiche options have become so limited, so this is perfect for them! Plus, I love being able to have my eggs, meat, and potatoes, and this all-in-one option makes my heart sing and my stomach rumble. Can’t get enough!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea May 4, 2014 at 3:12 pm

This is going to sound very non-bakerly, but I love love love this recipe because it has the potato crust. Then I can avoid making a pie crust. This is an all in one breakfast. This is good in my book. I am a Mom and I would be outright pleased to show up in front of me on Mom’s Day.

Debbie Caraballo May 4, 2014 at 10:05 am

Looks and sounds delicious! Pinned.

ATasteOfMadness May 4, 2014 at 9:46 am

Haha, my friend lives in Edmonton, and he’s still talking about snow and soup.
This looks so good! I am all about great brunch recipes :)

Mom May 4, 2014 at 8:45 am

This was so good, I’m buying all the ingredients today. Besides brunch, this quiche with a salad will be perfect for a light dinner on a hot day.

Librarian Lavender May 4, 2014 at 5:18 am

I love quiche and this one looks absolutely delicious!