Lasagna Rolls (with Spinach and Chicken)

Lasagna Rolls (with Spinach and Chicken)

by Amy Flanigan on May 6, 2014 · 17 comments

Lasagna. An Italian masterpiece. It’s awesome, right?

And yet, I can count on one hand how many times I’ve made traditional lasagna in my adult life. Seriously. Why? I have no idea.

But I’ve actually lost count on how many times I’ve made these Sausage Lasagna Rolls. This last time I served them, I decided to change up the ingredients for more variety.

Lasagna Rolls (with Spinach and Chicken)

The spinach and chicken were a big hit, too. If you want a strictly vegetarian meal, just simply omit the chicken.

I’ve come to the conclusion that rolls are more fun than squares. So they get more attention. See, it pays to be fun!

Lasagna Rolls (with Spinach and Chicken)

• extra virgin olive oil
• 9 lasagna noodles
• 1 3/4 cups ricotta cheese
• 1 egg
• 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
• 1 1/2 cups (about 6 ounces) shredded chicken*
• 2 cups traditional or marinara spaghetti sauce, divided

Bring a large pot of water to boil; throw in a pinch of salt and add your lasagna noodles. Cook until al dente. (After draining, drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil to prevent sticking and drape them over the colander or lay them on a cookie sheet or cutting board.)

Preheat oven to 375 and spread 1 cup of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.

In a large bowl, stir together the ricotta, egg, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add in the spinach and chicken; mix until combined.

Spread a 1/3 cup of the ricotta mixture on each lasagna noodle and roll up in a jelly-roll fashion. Arrange rolls, seam side down, in the baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup of spaghetti sauce. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes.

Sprinkle with some additional Parmesan, if desired. Serve right away and enjoy!

*Note: simply leave out the chicken for a vegetarian meal.

(adapted from here)

Print this recipe

Daniella August 18, 2014 at 5:15 pm

These look great! Can these be frozen?

Amy @Very Culinary August 18, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Hi Daniella – I’ve never made them in advance, but I can’t see why not. Traditional lasagna can be frozen, and these have all the same components.

Stephanie May 28, 2014 at 11:21 am

I don’t really “do” lasagna — though I don’t know why, I love all the ingredients. But, I’ve always thought that the rolled variety are a lot more visually appetizing than the traditional. I love the change up with the chicken and spinach!

Dani H May 13, 2014 at 9:38 pm

I love spinach lasagna. When Jennifer was growing up I’d make lasagna fairly frequently since it could be frozen in individual portions. These “rolls” sound delicious AND, as you say, fun! Another fabulous recipe, Amy!

Joanne May 9, 2014 at 12:56 pm

For how easy lasagna is, I really don’t make it that often either! Maybe twice a year? And it’s such a shame because it’s always a crowd pleaser. I’m sure these lasagna rolls would go over super well also!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking May 7, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Confession: I have never actually made lasagna before! It sounds like lots of work, and truth be told, I’d much rather have one or two of these cute rolls. They remind me of a savory cinnamon roll, complete with that tomato sauce on top!

Meredith In Sock Monkey Slippers May 7, 2014 at 8:36 am

I’m a sucker for lasgana rolls. Looks fabulous!

Christiane ~ Taking On Magazines May 7, 2014 at 6:11 am

I saw a version of lasagna rolls in a magazine and was considering making them, but I didn’t. Now you make me wish I had because yours look so amazing; better than the others, in fact.

Jenn @ Deliciously Sprinkled May 7, 2014 at 5:40 am

I will be adding these lasagna rolls to our weekly meal plan for next week, they look delicious! :)

Stephanie @ Back For Seconds May 6, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Delicious! I love this kind of meal!

Brenda@SugarFreeMom May 6, 2014 at 1:02 pm

I love making lasagna roll ups even better than typically made. Makes it better for portion control and much prettier when serving, love it!

Ginny McMeans May 6, 2014 at 12:46 pm

These are beautiful! This is a recipe everyone would love.

Rok Jurca May 6, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Classic and nice nice nice (pinned). Pasta is my favourite.

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) May 6, 2014 at 11:34 am

Lasagna rolls are my absolute favorite! I love the addition of chicken and spinach here. That definitely elevates it to MUST EAT NOW! status! :)

Paula - bell'alimento May 6, 2014 at 11:32 am

I want to roll those right into my mouth. Or I suppose I could use a fork ; )

Andrea May 6, 2014 at 6:44 am

I love making lasagna, but always end up with a huge pan of leftovers to break down and freeze. I really like this small-scale method and will give it a try. Thanks, Amy!

Librarian Lavender May 6, 2014 at 5:08 am

Such an original recipe, it looks really great!