Barbecue Onion Burger

Barbecue Onion Burger #BurgerWeek

by Amy Flanigan on June 17, 2014 · 18 comments

There are two types of vacations: the kind with your kids, and the kind without. One could argue that a vacation with your kids, however, isn’t really a vacation.

Unless you go to Disneyland.

Paul and I love that place. It really is the happiest place on earth.

We went last week and joked that we would totally like to go there someday without Haley and Trevor and enjoy it in a different way. Naturally, we would need to lie to the kids or they would never forgive us.

Having been before, we knew this time what to do and what not to do in order to maximize our entertainment value. It was a great time. Road all the best rides (some several times), made it to all the shows, and ate way too much sugar. (Just kidding…there’s no such thing.)

BBQ Onion Burger #BurgerWeek

Ate our fair share of burgers and fries, too. A few were meh, and a few were pretty good. But I didn’t really love any of them like my Barbecue Onion Burger.

This is one I make at home more than any other. It won’t transport you to Disneyland, but it will definitely make you happy!

#BurgerWeek Badge

Do you want to become a grilling pro? Need a new grill? #BurgerWeek sponsor Broil King wants to give you the chance to win one of their high-performance gas grills (a $549+tax value) plus burger grilling accessories to use in your home!

Made entirely in North America, every one of Broil King’s gas grills are made of the highest-quality materials and engineering that allows you the versatility to sear the perfect burger or steak, roast chicken or vegetables, or even bake a dessert right on the grill. Their grills are already in more Canadian backyards than any other brand and they’re available in the U.S. at Lowe’s and many other retailers! To enter to win your own Broil King grill, just click on the banner below.

Broil King Grill

Check out all the others who made burgers today! The Corner Kitchen • kimchi MOM • The Lemon Bowl • Completely Delicious • Boulder Locavore • The Little Ferraro Kitchen • Bake Your Day • Simply Scratch. And for all your burger desires, there’s also a Pinterest Board devoted to nothing but!

Barbecue Onion Burger
Chill time: 1 hour

• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 medium sweet onion, diced small
• 1 small sweet onion, sliced 1/2-inch thick
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
• 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
• salt and pepper
• 4 hamburger buns
• mayonnaise and barbecue sauce for serving
• lettuce, tomato, pickles for serving

Heat oil over medium-high in a medium nonstick skillet. Saute onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit.

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine beef, barbecue sauce, and cheese. Add in the cooked onions; season with salt and pepper. Divide mixture into 4 equal patties 3/4-inch thick. With your pointer finger, make an indentation in the center of each patty (this will help them from puffing up during cooking.) Transfer to a plate and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Heat up an outdoor grill to medium-high. Spray grill grates thoroughly. For Medium doneness (135-150° F), grill for 3 minutes, flip, grill for 5 more minutes. Grill the onion slices at the same time, keeping an eye on them so they don’t burn. Remove burgers and onions and allow to rest. Toast the buns on the grill for 30-60 seconds.

Mix some mayo and barbecue sauce together (1 to 1/2 ratio, either way)

Serve on toasted buns with the mayo/bbq mixture and toppings of your choice.

Print this recipe

Dee August 19, 2014 at 4:51 am

How easy & delish!!! I’ve got 3 men in da house,1 a bottomless pit! These I fixed just 2 breakup da monotony of “just burgers,2nite mom”. Nooo leftovers,nooo mess everyone FULL,hard 2 believe w/teenager in da house.This recipe takes all “blue ribbons” in my house.

Joanne June 22, 2014 at 9:53 am

The.Boy and I definitely plan on going to Disney BEFORE having kids, because you’re right…it is a totally different experience! This is a serious burger. Love that it’s smothered with bbq flavor!

Shawn @ I Wash You Dry June 19, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Now THAT is a burger! Looks incredible!

Miss June 18, 2014 at 7:12 pm

This is my kind of burger! Glad you had such a great trip to Disney!

Sandi Benoit June 18, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I love any kind of burgers…as long as someone else is making them :)

Dani H June 18, 2014 at 3:58 am

What, no mustard? (Sorry, I’m not a mayo person.) Your burger sounds great! I live in an apartment complex and fire regulations ban anything other than an electric grill on balconies, but they do have gas grills at the end of each building so that’s nice.

Happy to hear you had a nice Disney vacation!

Happy Valley Chow June 17, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Mmmm that burger looks incredible! Fantastic recipe :)

Happy Blogging!

Toni | Boulder Locavore June 17, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I love these burgers Amy especially the sweet onions. Your post made me too thnk about going to Disney without kids. Would be so different!

Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) June 17, 2014 at 11:11 am

First of all, I have to agree that “vacation” with the kids is not a vacation.

Second of all, these burgers look and sound incredible! I love adding onions in the burger!

AllisonJ June 17, 2014 at 8:47 am

Holy smokes! I love burgers. That one is making me hungry and I just finished breakfast!

Christine from Cook the Story June 17, 2014 at 7:52 am

This burger sounds fantastic!

Samantha @FerraroKitchen June 17, 2014 at 7:00 am

Joe and I don’t have kids, but sometimes we go to Disneyland too..hahaha We’ll go super early on a weekday so theres no crowd..love it! And did I know you’re in So Cal too???

PS…love your burgers!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} June 17, 2014 at 6:27 am

Barbecue sauce and sweet onions… this is my dream burger right here!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl June 17, 2014 at 5:55 am

I love that you surprised your kids!! This looks EPIC!

Julie June 17, 2014 at 5:32 am

Never been to Disneyland or Disney World–no sense in going when your child is terrified of 99% of the creatures there. Plus, we don’t do the scary rides. Ah, well. We’ve survived, although my grandpa went to Epcot Center for his honeymoon (he remarried when he was 90. True story). I would love to go there. As for burgers, sadly my husband refuses to go anywhere that offers burgers, because he says his are better on the grill, and I can’t deny that. These look excellent. I’ll bet I can get him to make these. Glad you had fun and welcome home!

Amy @Very Culinary June 17, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I’m like that with clam chowder. Nobody makes it like mine. All those times we’ve been to the wharf in SF…disappointed. Always. So I don’t even try anymore!

Cassie June 17, 2014 at 5:19 am

I love all of the onion flavor in these, Amy, especially with the BBQ sauce!

pam (Sidewalk Shoes) June 17, 2014 at 4:39 am

We went once when the kids were young. You’re right, it would be a totally different experience without the kids – one focused way more on eating and drinking :)