Spicy Roasted Eggplant and Cherry Tomatoes

Spicy Roasted Eggplant and Cherry Tomatoes #glutenfree

by Amy on June 25, 2014 · 11 comments

This post is sponsored by Tabasco. A product we love and use regularly!

There are three things you must know.

1. Eggplant is actually a fruit, not a vegetable. (Just found this out. I’m struggling with it.)
2. Eggplant is probably one of my least favorite…er…fruits.
3. I absolutely LOVED this – devoured all 4 servings immediately after taking pictures. True story.

Eggplant was one of the reasons I thought twice about participating in this challenge….

But then I was told I could use it as much or as little as I want. Or not at all. Whew.

Seemed like such a cop-out, though. So I was committed to creating something.

And then this happened.

Spicy Roasted Eggplant and Cherry Tomatoes

Two days in a row.

I’m telling you, friends – once again, grilling or roasting proves to be a sure fire way of taking a vegetable fruit vegetable… er… fruit… from 10 to 1,000. This was SO good.

Spicy Roasted Eggplant and Cherry Tomatoes

• 4 Italian eggplant (or 1 globe), cut into 1-inch cubes
• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
• salt and pepper
• Tabasco hot sauce
• 1 pint cherry tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or cilantro)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Spread eggplant cubes on the baking sheet and toss with 3 tablespoon oil, salt, pepper, and 8 dashes of Tabasco until all the cubes are coated. Place in the oven for 10 minutes. Stir with a spatula and place back in the oven for another 20 minutes.

When there is 15 minutes remaining, toss cherry tomatoes with the last tablespoon of oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place on a separate baking sheet and put in the oven with the eggplant.

Combine tomatoes with eggplant and gently toss with the parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!

Print this recipe

Previous recipes from this challenge!

Swordfish with Charred Tomatoes and Herbs

Swordfish with Charred Tomatoes and Herbs

(Panzanella) Bread and Tomato Salad

Bread and Tomato Salad #Panzanella

Kirsten July 25, 2015 at 6:30 am

Thanks for this recipe! I’ve added it to the Farm Fresh Feasts Visual Recipe Index by Ingredient, a resource for folks like me who love to eat from the farm share.
I appreciate your help in making this index better!

Mom January 1, 2015 at 2:05 pm

I will definitely make this, even though I’ll eat it alone!

Joanne July 1, 2014 at 4:04 am

Can we still be friends if NEVER tell the.boy that eggplant is a fruit? He will just be so weirded out he’ll probably never eat it again…and he’s already on the fence about it as is! Although, if this was Amy-approved it might even be TheBoy-approved…which would be great for me because I LOVE eggplant!

Mom June 28, 2014 at 8:44 am

I do like eggplant and use it once or twice a month. I’ll definitely try this but will probably halve the recipe since I’ll be eating “vegetable fruit vegetable… er… fruit… ” by myself!

Mary June 25, 2014 at 11:31 am

I’m impressed! I totally chickened out on using the eggplant. One of these days I may try it again, but I can pretty much guarantee that I’ll never accept it as a fruit. Your dish looks awesome!

Ray June 25, 2014 at 9:16 am

So since tomatoes are also fruit, you’re fine with the fact that \this meal is prepared entirely with fruit? :D

Next time I get an eggplant in my produce box, I’ll make this. This looks fantastic!

Amy @Very Culinary June 25, 2014 at 9:22 am

Haha! I know.. I thought of that. And yet, I think I categorized this under vegetable. Old habits die hard!

Lynda Justice June 25, 2014 at 9:11 am

That looks great! I’ve mainly had eggplant fried and/or with lots of cheese. It really soaks up the oil so this looks so much healthier.

Amy @Very Culinary June 25, 2014 at 9:20 am

This is very healthy! At first I struggled with how to make it since I couldn’t use cheese, but it turned out I didn’t need it!

Christine from Cook the Story June 25, 2014 at 7:06 am

I’ve never had eggplant roasted before. I bet it’s delicious!

Amy @Very Culinary June 25, 2014 at 9:19 am

It might be the only way I ever make it from now on!