Orange Creamsicles

Orange Creamsicles #popsicles

by Amy Flanigan on July 20, 2014 · 14 comments

You know what’s not fun?

When one of your kids leaves the freezer door open. And you don’t notice until 24 hours later. Oh ya. It happened.

Over $150 worth of food needed to be replaced. And bonus, there were two popsicle recipes in there…that I hadn’t photographed yet. I might have screamed a little a lot.

Orange Creamsicles #popsicles

You know what is fun, though? I got to eat these Orange Creamsicles again.

Orange Creamsicles
Makes 10
Freeze time: 6 hours

• 1 1/3 cups cold, orange juice
• 1 (6 ounce) container orange cream yogurt
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 14 ounce container (1 1/2 cups) vanilla bean ice cream

In a medium bowl, whisk together the orange juice, yogurt, and honey until well combined.

Place chunks of ice cream in each popsicle mold, working quickly before it melts. Slowly pour the orange juice mixture into a corner of each mold, filling to the top.

Freeze for 1 hour, place sticks in the molds, and continue to freeze for at least 5 hours.

To remove pops, run hot water over the outsides of the molds for a few seconds, then gently pull the sticks.

Note: you can also soften the ice cream, whisk all of the ingredients together, and then pour into the molds. This gives the pop a more uniform look and taste.

Note: this popsicle recipe was created using a standard bar-shaped mold, each holding about 1/3 cup. If you are using a different mold, you might need to adjust the ingredients.

Print this recipe

Make sure to also check out these other popsicles!

Blackberry Cheesecake Pops

Blackberry Cheesecake Pops #popsicles

Strawberry Jam Pops

Strawberry Jam Yogurt Pops #popsicles

Ashley Urke | Domestic Fashionista July 28, 2014 at 1:40 pm

These look so good Amy! Nothing quite like a creamsicle to take me back to the long days of my summer childhood! I love that these are made with yogurt! I have been in need of finding some slightly healthier treats to indulge in…instead of just putting a spoon into the ice cream carton! ;)

Amy @Very Culinary July 29, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Thanks, Ashley! I’ve been all about the yogurt pops lately. Don’t get me wrong… I love ice cream and the icy variety, too. But the yogurt gives it that creamy texture I love, but without the guilt!

Joanne July 24, 2014 at 4:13 am

Well I’m the girl who left her refrigerator open all day a few days ago. And I don’t even have any kids to blame it on! Thankfully it wasn’t the freezer….if I had lost ice cream, I would have been a RAGING LUNATIC. :P

But getting to eat these popsicles all over again? Not such a bad thing.

Dani H July 23, 2014 at 10:41 pm

I’m looking at the photographs of three of your popsicle recipes trying to decide which to make first…. I think I’m just going to have to make them all at once ~ I know, I’ll make mini-size ones so that I can have one of each!

*Hugs*

dina July 22, 2014 at 11:43 am

i haven’t had one of these in a long time. they look great!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking July 21, 2014 at 6:43 pm

You poor thing!! I’m so careful around our freezer these days after reading your story on Instagram. I don’t have any un-photographed recipes in there, but I really don’t want any of my precious ice cream to melt! ;)

Carol at Wild Goose Tea July 20, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Yikes, sorry about the freezer. I have had that happen. But someone tripped over the cord on the freezer in the downstairs. Sigh. Sad Sigh.
In my case stinky sighs too. But you are such a nice Mom you made new popsicles. And good ones too.

Amy @Very Culinary July 20, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Yes, I admit that having to make these again wasn’t such a bad thing! Thanks, Carol!

amanda @ fake ginger July 20, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Ohhhh maaaaan, I would be so upset if that happened to me. These creamsicles look awesome though! I always say creamsicles are my favorite but I haven’t had one in years! I have to make these!

Amy @Very Culinary July 20, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Amanda, I actually hadn’t had one in years, either. But I fell victim to the ice cream truck last month and bought one. Decided it would be more economical to make them myself!

kristy @ the wicked noodle July 20, 2014 at 10:09 am

Holy moly, I can’t imagine how mad you must have been! But happy you got to eat these yummy popsicles again, they look sooo creamy and good!

Amy @Very Culinary July 20, 2014 at 4:49 pm

This was our second freezer, which is in the garage. It’s possible my neighbors thought I was exercising…by the sound of the screams.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust July 20, 2014 at 7:32 am

Oh my gosh. Jordan never shuts the door all the way. Luckily, it’s usually almost shut, but the ice-cream gets mushy. I never ask her to put anything in the freezer anymore because I still have to go out and check it.

LOVE these. I’m dying for one RIGHT NOW. Orange = breakfast food, right?

Amy @Very Culinary July 20, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Yep, I’ve pretty much put a moratorium on their use of the freezer. So, I guess it will be lifted in what…10 years? ;-)