Israeli Couscous with Asparagus, Peas, and Sugar Snaps

Israeli Couscous with Asparagus, Peas, and Sugar Snaps

by Amy Flanigan on July 29, 2014 · 12 comments

I’m thinking I should rebrand Very Culinary as “Lover of Israeli Couscous” or “Party with Peas” or “Lemon Everything” – what do you think? Not catchy enough, huh?

But damn. Those three things do seem to pop up here frequently <<< because I. Love. Them. All.

Israeli Couscous with Asparagus, Peas, and Sugar Snaps

Once upon a time, I didn’t even like peas. Who was that gal??? I don’t even know her. Now I put them in everything (much to Trevor’s disapproval. Although he is coming around. SEE, that 10-time rule – which is really more like a 50-time rule – really does work!)

Spotted this recipe in Epicurious and I knew immediately I would love it. And I did.

Israeli Couscous with Asparagus, Peas, and Sugar Snaps

I made this around 10am, thinking I would save it for lunch. Well, it became more like a late breakfast because I couldn’t stop eating. Serves 6? Um, sure. Unless you have a thing for couscous, snap peas, and lemon. And can’t control yourself around food you crave. Then, it serves 2.

Israeli Couscous with Asparagus, Peas, and Sugar Snaps
Serves 4-6 as a side

• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
• 2 large garlic cloves, minced and divided
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
• 1 1/3 cups Israeli (Pearl) Couscous
• 1 3/4 cups vegetable stock
• 14 ounces (about 2 1/2 cups) thin asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 8 ounces (about 2 1/2 cups) sugar snap peas, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1 cup shelled frozen sweet peas, defrosted
• 1/3 cup finely diced scallions
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a small bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons oil, 1 garlic clove, lemon juice, and lemon zest; set dressing aside.

In a medium pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add couscous and a dash salt; sauté until most of couscous is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add the vegetable stock, increase heat, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender, about 10 minutes, adding more broth by tablespoonfuls if too dry.

In the meantime, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over high heat in a large nonstick sauté pan. Add asparagus, sugar snap peas, green peas, and remaining garlic clove. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; sauté until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl.

Add couscous to bowl with vegetables. Drizzle dressing over. Add scallions and cheese; toss. Season with salt and pepper. Serve right away or at room temperature.

(adapted from Epicurious)

Print this recipe

Stephanie August 12, 2014 at 11:15 am

Seriously, mouth watering right now. There is something so amazing about Israeli couscous. And it’s so versatile. As seen above. I think your next venture should be long-distance food delivery. Just a thought.

Joanne August 1, 2014 at 10:46 am

Well, if we’re in the business of renaming our blogs based on what we eat…I’d say Pumpkin, Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Kale would be an apt renaming for Eats Well With Others. :P

Though I do love peas and asparagus. So I’d have to find a way to mix them in there too.

Love fresh green meals like this!

Mary Frances July 30, 2014 at 12:41 pm

This looks fantastic! Anything that combines asparagus, peas, and lemon is sure to make me crave it!

Amy @Very Culinary July 30, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Thanks, Mary!

Dani H July 30, 2014 at 12:13 am

I was just talking to someone about if it’s even possible to find fresh, still-in-the-pod-waiting-to-be-shelled peas unless you grow them yourself. I LOVE frozen peas, so why go to all that trouble anyway? (Certainly not because I’m lazy…..)

I’ve never fixed couscous ~ until reading this recipe, I always thought it took a really long time to cook. Learn something new every day. {smile}

Amy @Very Culinary July 30, 2014 at 6:48 am

Oh Dani. This is too funny! When I was writing up the recipe, I totally thought to myself that I can’t remember the last time I saw (or made) a recipe with fresh peas from their pod. You were channeling me. HA.

Dana July 29, 2014 at 6:06 pm

We discovered Israeli couscous a year or so ago after being regular couscous lovers. Israeli is AWESOME. It’s all I buy now! And this recipe looks fantastic! I can’t wait to try it!! Yum!

Amy @Very Culinary July 29, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Thanks, Dana! Same! I discovered it a couple of years ago and immediately fell in love. It sort of reminds me of a cross between regular couscous and Acini di Pepe pasta. I keep a huge container full of it in the pantry and cook with it all the time.

Melissa July 29, 2014 at 9:57 am