Root Beer Float Pops

Root Beer Float Pops #popsicles

by Amy Flanigan on July 31, 2014 · 9 comments

One of the best gifts I ever received was a 12 bottle sampler of root beer from my friend, Michele. I’ll never forget it – they were all completely different, in packaging and flavor. I enjoyed every last drop.

Root Beer Float Pops #popsicles

It’s really my favorite soda, and yet I rarely ever buy it other than to use in something. Like Root Beer Floats, or Root Beer Smoothies. And, in this case, Root Beer popsicles. How could I not?

Root Beer Float Pops
Makes 8
Freeze time: 6 hours

• 1 1/2 cups cold, flat root beer
• 2 cups vanilla ice cream

Place chunks of ice cream in each popsicle mold, working quickly before it melts. Slowly pour the root beer into a corner of each mold, filling to the top.

Freeze for 1 hour, place sticks in the molds, and continue to freeze for at least 5 hours.

To remove pops, run hot water over the outsides of the molds for a few seconds, then gently pull the sticks.

Notes: (1) you need flat root beer for this or the carbonation will bubble up when pouring. Open a bottle and place it in the refrigerator a day before using. (2) this popsicle recipe was created using a standard bar-shaped mold, each holding about 1/3 cup. If you are using a different mold, you might need to adjust the ingredients.

Print this recipe Save this recipe

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box by clicking on the “Save this recipe” link. Then, create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Make sure to also check out these other popsicles!

Orange Creamsicles

Orange Creamsicles #popsicles

Blackberry Cheesecake Pops

Blackberry Cheesecake Pops #popsicles

Strawberry Jam Pops

Strawberry Jam Yogurt Pops #popsicles

Dani H August 8, 2014 at 2:37 am

This is brilliant! I was expecting you to mix the root beer and ice cream first, but that wouldn’t have been a float. Love the way you cook, lady!

Amy @Very Culinary August 8, 2014 at 8:08 am

Ha, exactly! I love that you noticed that. Thanks, Dani!

Joanne August 4, 2014 at 4:26 am

I wish I could learn to like root beer! I feel like it just requires a more sophisticated palate than I have.

Donalyn@TheCreeksideCook August 3, 2014 at 10:03 am

You know, we live a short distance from one of the last A&W drive-ins on the planet, and I cannot drive past that place without stopping for a root beer float. So these I would LOVE!

Amy @Very Culinary August 3, 2014 at 10:14 am

Oh, HOW FUN. It’s probably a good thing I don’t live close to one of those…I would be there every day.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust July 31, 2014 at 6:23 pm

These are making me drool. In the bay area where I grew up there was this brewery that brewed their own root beer and I’ve never had anything else like it. Now I want root beer – and popsicles. It’s so darn hot!!

Amy @Very Culinary July 31, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Oh, I can imagine it. If you ever want to go back there, I’ll join you!

Lisa @ Wine and Glue July 31, 2014 at 8:14 am

OMG. Great minds, Amy. Great minds. This is on my to post list. I made a boozy version the other day that was an epic fail, but no worries, I drank every last melty drop. These, on the other hand look like a total success! Nicely done!

Amy @Very Culinary July 31, 2014 at 11:12 am

Ha *high five* Lisa! Can’t wait to see your version – I have no doubt I’ll want to eat those, too!