Root Beer Float Pops

Root Beer Float Pops #popsicles

by Amy Flanigan on July 31, 2014 · 9 comments

One of the best gifts I ever received was a 12 bottle sampler of root beer from my friend, Michele. I’ll never forget it – they were all completely different, in packaging and flavor. I enjoyed every last drop.

Root Beer Float Pops #popsicles

It’s really my favorite soda, and yet I rarely ever buy it other than to use in something. Like Root Beer Floats, or Root Beer Smoothies. And, in this case, Root Beer popsicles. How could I not?

Root Beer Float Pops
Makes 8
Freeze time: 6 hours

• 1 1/2 cups cold, flat root beer
• 2 cups vanilla ice cream

Place chunks of ice cream in each popsicle mold, working quickly before it melts. Slowly pour the root beer into a corner of each mold, filling to the top.

Freeze for 1 hour, place sticks in the molds, and continue to freeze for at least 5 hours.

To remove pops, run hot water over the outsides of the molds for a few seconds, then gently pull the sticks.

Notes: (1) you need flat root beer for this or the carbonation will bubble up when pouring. Open a bottle and place it in the refrigerator a day before using. (2) this popsicle recipe was created using a standard bar-shaped mold, each holding about 1/3 cup. If you are using a different mold, you might need to adjust the ingredients.

Print this recipe

Make sure to also check out these other popsicles!

Orange Creamsicles

Orange Creamsicles #popsicles

Blackberry Cheesecake Pops

Blackberry Cheesecake Pops #popsicles

Strawberry Jam Pops

Strawberry Jam Yogurt Pops #popsicles

Dani H August 8, 2014 at 2:37 am

This is brilliant! I was expecting you to mix the root beer and ice cream first, but that wouldn’t have been a float. Love the way you cook, lady!

Amy @Very Culinary August 8, 2014 at 8:08 am

Ha, exactly! I love that you noticed that. Thanks, Dani!

Joanne August 4, 2014 at 4:26 am

I wish I could learn to like root beer! I feel like it just requires a more sophisticated palate than I have.

Donalyn@TheCreeksideCook August 3, 2014 at 10:03 am

You know, we live a short distance from one of the last A&W drive-ins on the planet, and I cannot drive past that place without stopping for a root beer float. So these I would LOVE!

Amy @Very Culinary August 3, 2014 at 10:14 am

Oh, HOW FUN. It’s probably a good thing I don’t live close to one of those…I would be there every day.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust July 31, 2014 at 6:23 pm

These are making me drool. In the bay area where I grew up there was this brewery that brewed their own root beer and I’ve never had anything else like it. Now I want root beer – and popsicles. It’s so darn hot!!

Amy @Very Culinary July 31, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Oh, I can imagine it. If you ever want to go back there, I’ll join you!

Lisa @ Wine and Glue July 31, 2014 at 8:14 am

OMG. Great minds, Amy. Great minds. This is on my to post list. I made a boozy version the other day that was an epic fail, but no worries, I drank every last melty drop. These, on the other hand look like a total success! Nicely done!

Amy @Very Culinary July 31, 2014 at 11:12 am

Ha *high five* Lisa! Can’t wait to see your version – I have no doubt I’ll want to eat those, too!