(Make-Ahead) Eggs Benedict Casserole

(Make-Ahead) Eggs Benedict Casserole from Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on December 13, 2012 · 20 comments

Whenever I go out to breakfast, whether it be locally or while traveling, I scour the menu for eggs benedict. If it’s not offered, I sob. And then I move on, maybe find a scrambled egg burrito or take a stab at the pancakes. But always…always…looking for the eggs benedict first.

Sister Jen served this for a family brunch about a year ago (?) and I’ve been making it ever since. Sure, it’s not your traditional eggs benedict…and I make that, too. But this is a cheater version for those mornings I know I won’t be so motivated. I also simplify the sauce; none of that double-boiler method for me.

(Make-Ahead) Eggs Benedict Casserole from Very Culinary

For those of you who have already seen or made this, you can nod and back me with its deliciousness. For you newcomers, you must make it. I say for Christmas morning even…

(Make-Ahead) Eggs Benedict Casserole

• 3/4 pound Canadian bacon, roughly diced
• 6 English muffins, split and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 8 eggs
• 2 cups whole milk
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Easy Hollandaise Sauce:
• 4 egg yolks
• 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• pinch of cayenne pepper
• 1/2 cup butter, melted

Coat a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Combine the bacon and english muffin pieces and place in the pan, spreading them out evenly. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and onion powder; pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle the paprika over the top.

Preheat oven to 375. Cover and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Just before it’s done cooking, make your hollandaise.

Heat butter in the microwave for about 1 minute, or until melted and hot, but not boiling. In a blender, add the egg yolks, cream, lemon juice, mustard, and cayenne to taste; cover and blend for about 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and slowly drizzle in the melted butter until fully incorporated and thickened. Taste and adjust flavor to your liking. (To heat up slightly, you can place it in the microwave for a few seconds, but be careful..you don’t want it to curdle.)

Serve sauce immediately with the casserole. Garnish with chopped chives or scallions, optional.

(adapted from Taste of Home)

Print this recipe

Joan April 8, 2014 at 8:50 am

Should you toast the English muffins first???

Amy @Very Culinary April 8, 2014 at 8:58 am

I never do, but you can :)

Rachel October 13, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I just bought all the ingredients and will be making this today/tomorrow. Because I run out of the door every morning for work, I am always on the hunt for make-ahead breakfast recipes that I can grab and go. I went to brunch with my Mom yesterday and had crab hash with chipotle hollandaise and it was everything, so I am now on a hollandaise kick! :) Thank you for this recipe!! xoxo

Amy @Very Culinary October 13, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Hi Rach! I don’t know that this is entirely grab and go, since you still need to cook it in the morning and make the hollandaise (which, btw, I love also…traditional eggs benedict is my go to when I’m out for breakfast <3), but nonetheless, it's definitely easy and delicious. Family favorite over here :D Hope you like it!

Rachel October 13, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Oh totally, I know that I have to make this in advance. I have off tomorrow from work so this is definitely a weekend thing but I meant I will have leftovers to grab and go the next day, and the day after that. I just put the casserole in the fridge, so I’ll report tomorrow when it’s done. Can’t wait to have it for breakfast!

Linda March 20, 2013 at 5:59 pm

What do you think are calories for this????? I LOVE eggs Benedict but only indulge on special occasions because of the sauce….this sounds so easy I can’t wait to try it…..

Amy March 20, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Hm. I don’t know for sure, but my guess is 1 serving with about 2 tablespoons of the sauce would be about 300 calories.

Linda March 20, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Calories???????

Christine January 8, 2013 at 12:02 am

I adore eggs Benedict but its just too involved for breakfast at home so this recipe has my name all over it. Is it easily halved? As is, it would be way too much for just my husband and me.

Amy January 8, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Hi Christine – I’ve never halved the recipe, but the ingredients could easily be cut in half. You would need to use a smaller pan though, like an 8×8? Not sure, however, on the cooking time. Test it after 30 minutes and see if it’s set.

Janice Tindell December 31, 2012 at 12:21 am

I’ll try this! Sounds great!

Smitten Foodie December 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Love love love eggs Benedict! Casserole idea is great, it can be a very intimidating recipe, especially when entertaining. This will be perfect.
Connie

Julie December 14, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Amy, I am all over this. John’s family is coming for Christmas brunch, and I’m not that enthused about breaking from playing with my kid’s toys… er, my kids to cook. Thank you for saving the day once again!

foodlve December 14, 2012 at 7:19 am

I liked it, and I liked all your high quality recipes

Stacey Evans December 14, 2012 at 7:14 am

I love eggs benedict. This recipe sounds easy and yummy, I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing, Stacey

Joanne December 13, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I have NEVER made eggs benedict because I am SO not in the mood to do something involved in the morning. Ever. But this. Is a total game-changer.

Jen December 13, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I don’t remember how long ago it was, but it may have “only” been 6-9 months ago. It was so easy and fed so many people. I think I need to make this again. :o)

The Home Cook December 13, 2012 at 9:32 am

I knew I liked you. :) I’m the same way – I’ll always order Eggs Benedict if it’s offered. I can’t wait to try this!

kristy @ the wicked noodle December 13, 2012 at 7:38 am

I’ve heard of this but have never made it. It’s such a brilliant concept. A great way to feed a hungry family on Christmas morning without having to spend too much time away from the presents!

pam December 13, 2012 at 7:11 am

I’m all about cheater versions!